Kids Dinner in Dining room or Camp Carnival?

mom23gr8kids

What are your suggestions on the best way to handle dinner arrangements for children on cruises?

We are going on our first cruise this year. We are very excited about it. We will be cruising with a large group in celebration of my younger sister's onboard wedding. I am taking my 3 children with me, ages 3, 5, & 9 @ time of cruise.

This topic has already come in discussion of the cruise with my parents, since we are all set to be dining together. I think they maybe concerned that the kids will interfere with their dining experience.

How long do the dinners typically last?

Thanks.

first thing, dinner in the dining room can be a lengthy experience. It will probably last at least an hour and more than likely, even longer than that. We have a 3 year old (he was only 2 on our last cruise) and he loved Camp Carnival so much that we decided that it would be the best thing for all of us if he went to CC when we had dinner. We would either take him to the buffet or order room service (they have PB&J) and he would eat while we got ready for dinner. We took him to the dining room 2x, once on formal night and on the last night of the cruise. We were the only ones at our table so we didn't have to wait on anyone else and got served pretty quickly so he was able to sit long enough to eat on those 2 occassions without much fuss. IMO, if you all want to enjoy a quiet, relaxed dinner...take the kiddies to CC and let them enjoy themselves too! You'll all win then. Enjoy yourselves and congrats to your sister.:D

Happy Cruising :)

Barb

Our dinners typically lasted about 90 minutes with two four years olds, an eight year old and a ten year old. Our kids ate in the dining room five out of seven nights. One night they ate with Camp Carnival and another night we ate as a family at the buffet.

With all the dinner courses and the entertaining waitstaff, they didn't have too much trouble staying relatively calm. We also had a fabulous view from our table (right at the rear windows of the ship) so they had beautiful scenery to look at too. I believe one night everyone was slightly antsy and we didn't stay for dessert, instead had ice cream on the lido.

Enjoy your trip!:)

Do you think your kids can sit through an hour or longer meal? The meals are set up to be between an 1.5 - 2 hours. Family with children can get them to rush it to be about 1 hour. But since you have other people in your party that dinner time will be closer to 2 hours, not 1.

You can take the kids to eat before your meal time (at the buffet) then have late seating dinner with your parents. The kids can go to the kids club at 7pm and give you time to get redy for dinner.

Personally, though, on a side note. I make sure that my kids eat with us on a cruise (early seating). Since it is a family vacation and they are part of the family. ;) It seems like the grandparents may be pushing you to do something that you may not be comfortable with.

Thanks for all the great advice on ways to handle this.

I'm sure we'll let them try out at least one dinner in the dining room with us and see how it goes. It is fabulous to know that there are other options other than eating at CC.

I worry about them eating without us. Just silly stuff, ya know like I won't know how much they ate and if they'll be hungry later, they maybe too busy talking and playing with the other kids to actually eat any dinner, etc. So it is really great to know that there are lots of options for taking care of them with us all together that wouldn't necessarily have to upset the rest of our party's plans if it turns out they can't sit long enough for the dining room.

The only one I really worry about is my 3 year old, because she is so young. But I could bring some things for her to do. And she will be 6 months more mature at that point as well and we all know at this age that can mean alot.

Thanks again. You guys are great.

~Rhonda

I agree with Crusinmama and believe that kids should eat with their families in the dining room. It's a family vacation and you said that you are celebrating adding another member to your family! There's no reason for your kids to eat with strangers.

You parents might not agree, but they're your kids. Don't let them push you around. Do they realize that there will be LOTS of other kids in the dining room as well?

The only thing I would suggest is to eat at the early seating. Most kids are tired after a long day to be able to make it thru the late seating.

Good luck...and I hope you make the most of your family time!

I would suggest just keeping an open mind and waiting to see what works out best for you. I cruised with my 2 year old daugter last month and alternated between her eating in the dining room with my family and going to the Camp Carnival dinner. My daughter is very active, and unfortunately, our table of 11 (all family members) was the last to be served by our waitstaff which meant dinner lasted 1 1/2 to 2 hours. That's a looong time for a toddler to sit still. I did bring small toys to help occupy her which I would suggest doing. She preferred going to the Camp dinner as it was not such a long drawn out experience, and she enjoyed interacting with the counselors and other children. BTW, the Camp had dinner for the kids every night except the 1st night.

Just do whatever feels right to you on the cruise, and try not to stress about it.

Archived