Chicago to Vancouver via Amtrak

Has anyone made the trip to Vancouver from Chicago via Amtrak? I've read the other posts regarding Amtrak from California, but not sure it would be the same experience.

The train arrives in Seattle and then Amtrak contracts a bus to Vancouver which departs from Seattle within 20 minutes of the train's arrival.

Any info is appreciated.

What would you like to know about the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle and onto Vancouver - I have taken it more than once as I don't fly - the last time in November 2007 we arrived in Seattle about 30 minutes early. This is the best run and service that I have encountered on Amtrak.

Cheers

Dennis

How was it going across the border? I've read that there can be long delays and wondered if the fact that it was an Amtrak bus would make it a more pleasant border crossing.

Was the bus waiting for you in Seattle and was it clearly marked so you knew where to go?

I'd love to take ViaRail across Canada, but time constraints won't allow it.

I heard that they don't have business class anymore on this train. (Seattle to Vancouver) Is this true???

That is correct for now. It's while they refurbish equipment. I understand all will be normal by cruise season. (fingers crossed)

I'm not sure when you are sailing this year, but I just got rebooked to regular class because they wouldn't have business class back online yet by the end of May. For some reason I want to think it will be July or August before it's back up, but you'd better check with Amtrak to be sure.

Remember if you are going straight through from Seattle to Vancouver you will be taking a bus and not a train - it will be waiting just outside the main entrance to King St station - you will arrive at the truck and bus border crossing where your luggage will be unloaded - you will then have to bring it inside for inspection etc and bring it back outside to be reloaded onto the bus - provided that all those on the bus have all their documents in order it shouldn't take that long to clear the border - however if there are a number of buses it could take a while to clear them - on my last trip the bus stopped at the duty free as well - the bus has factored in the stop at the border in there time schedule so you should arrive about on time in Vancouver.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I, too, have done the trip from Chicago to Vancouver via Amtrak and it's a great trip. Actually, I took the train all the way from Miami after a cruise and it was a wonderful four days. On my particular bus from Seattle to Vancouver, I believe there were only four of us besides the driver, so it didn't take our bus long to clear customs.

Next to crusing, I love to travel by train.

Archived