First time cruiser-probably silly question

Paja

By all means please take your own things needed with you. On the ship they charge you more than double for things like that. I once needed some Ben Gay for a sore back and it cost me $9.50 (way too much for sure)

Just think about what you might need and take your own remedies. I takes up more space but it is worth it to be ready just in case.

Enjoy your cruise-I love it myself and endorse it highly:)

At my local CVS store, I found a package of very small (tiny) ziploc bags that have a write-on area. I put my OTC pills in a bag and then write what it is and any special directions. This keeps the size and weight of my "medical kit" to a very manageable size (it all fits into a "snack size" ziplock bag). Also, I can bring the little bags of IB, Immodium and Pepto Bismol with me on a shore excursion (which has been very handy at times.)

Like the others, I don't depend on being able to find what I want in any ship's store. Doesn't matter the cruiseline. They will have a few things but usually not what you need at that moment and the cost is a lot more than just bagging it yourself at home and bringing it with you.

Would suggest taking your own first aid kit, we always do, especially if you're doing excursions...with bandages, antibiotic cream, alcohol wipes, advil, pepto bismol, laxatives, & bynedril (I know I didn't spell that correctly).

It only takes a few inches of space in your luggage; but when you need it, it's priceless.

This sentence sums it up beautifully. So true.

I always carry a giant traveling pharmacy with me when we cruise. I am of the mind set that I'd rather have it and not need it than really need it and not have it school. This is especially true when traveling with children. Very few ships carry children's strength anything. I always have children's ibuprofen, aceteminophen, imodium, cough/cold everything, cough drops, etc. As it is I have to go to three or four different stores at home to get all the different children's products--good luck getting them in a little port town! You also run the risk of being in a port on a day when everything is closed up! This also goes for every seasickness remedy I can get my hands on. Better safe than sorry!

And if you don't use any of it, park it in your bathroom cupboard ready for the next trip. Just check expiration dates and you're good to go.

Happy Sails!

Since we always get to our port a day or a few days early, I wait to buy heavier items there so that they don't weigh down my luggage. We like to have a supply of hand sanitizer, baby wipes, etc and each of those can add weight. Can you tell that at times -- only on return trips -- I have been charged for overweight luggage?

Another way to avoid excess weight is to leave cosmetic items that we don't need for the flight at our last stop -- either on the ship but usually at a hotel at our last stop.

I have found that shopping at a local drug store or discount store in a foreign country can be fun. I've done it in Italy, China, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand and this spring I'll do it in Japan before we board the Statendam for the Osaka to Vancouver trip. Hopefully, in Japan they will have pictures on the bottles, jars and other items so I can figure out what I'm buying.

Archived