Why are singles meet & greets so late?

Rivercat

Hi all! I've been lurking on the boards for a couple weeks trying to decide whether to take the plunge and book my first cruise as a solo. I really need a vacation but haven't been especially thrilled with (or can't really afford :o ) many of the non-cruise options available at the moment (i.e. spa getaway). I've traveled on my own many times before in the US and UK so I'm not especially apprehensive about cruising solo, but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before booking.

The question I have, however, is why do so many of the lines hold their single/solo meet & greets so darn late in the evening? Carnival and RCL, the 2 lines favored by many solo cruises, hold them at 10pm or later! I'm usually an early riser and can barely keep my eyes open past 10. Is it because more solos tend to dine during the later seating? It makes more sense to me to have gatherings early in the evening so you can potentially meet some people with whom to dine, but since I've never cruised before maybe there's something I'm missing? I'm currently leaning toward booking a trip with NCL for a bunch of reasons, but was also relieved to see their meet & greet was scheduled for 9pm :D

In all due respect, the singles "Meet and Greet" are to me very overrated dont put to much stock so to speak in anything "Single" on a cruise except yourself. As far as Princess is concerned I see in the Princess Patters that there are "Singles Meet and Greet" and I never go because noone ever shows up simply because there are no other singles cruising except myself. I went to a singles Meet and Greet on the Golden Princess back in 2001 Inaugural which was to be held in the Wheelhouse Bar, the bartenders thought I was kidding, I've never been to one since. Go have a great time and dont concern yourself with "meeting" anyone. If your cruising solo in an effort "to hook up" or "meet" someone your going to be dissappointed. I cruise solo to see the world, if I want to meet someone I'll go up and introduce myself. As far as Princess is concerned Im not even sure why they even put in the Patters a "Meet and Greet" at this point, they know full well how many singles and solo cruisers they have on each sailing. I just got off the Emerald last month I can tell you this there were less than 5 solo cruisers on this sailing out of basically 3000+ cruisers, I had a BLAST. Im doing the same thing again in November with NO interest in meeting anyone and wouldnt have it any other way. Go have a great time. Hope that helps Todd

noone ever shows up

Hmmm... that's not too encouraging! :D

I have no intention of "hooking up" (one of the reasons I'm avoiding hosted singles cruises), just wanted to possibly meet other solos to share meals with or hang out with, especially with the freestyle dining on NCL. Several people on this board and others had suggested attending the meet & greets when cruising solo, so it's interesting to hear what others' experiences are.

Im not trying to be discouraging, I would never discourage someone from cruising, I was just trying to implement some honesty if you can believe that. If you are planning on cruising with NCL then you may want to post on the NCL boards and see if you get a response. I am not familiar with that cruise line or their "freestyle" dining, it may be different than Princess. As far as the "Singles Meet and Greet" Im VERY interesting in hearing the experiences of others, I've been interested for quite sometime, I have never heard or read a word about others experiences be it on these boards or on the ship itself when it comes to "Singles Meet and Greet". There may be some other posters out there who have had a different experience lets hope they post. Hosted singles cruises.......YIKES!!! Thats scary!! :D Go have fun, I do. Take care Todd

I'm another one who would never discourage you from cruising solo, as I've been on 17 solos myself, but in my opinion, and the opinion of many other solo cruisers here on this board, NCL is the least solo-friendly cruise line out there and freestyle dining is VERY solo unfriendly. NCL doesn't seem to attract nearly as many solos as lines such as RCCI, Princess and Carnival and they tend to have many young kids. I'll let it be known that I'm not at all a fan of NCL, as my two experiences with that line have been pretty bad cruises, so my views might be a bit colored towards the negative, but I think others here will attest that NCL isn't the best choice for a solo cruiser. Freestyle dining is good if you don't want to stick to a schedule, but it's not an experience that's solo friendly. You'll find yourself dining alone more often than not, as the crew on NCL just aren't attuned to accommodating the solo cruiser. And then you'll have the longer waits for a table if you dine at the most popular times, and that can be a real pain. I've known many who've tried NCL as solos and sworn "never again".

Don't base your choice of cruise line on when they hold their single get togethers. From experience, those things are lame and not well attended, if anyone at all shows up. If you stick to a line with traditional dining, those lines make every effort to put solos together at tables, so you don't have to worry about finding friends early on.

Don't base your choice of cruise line on when they hold their single get togethers.

The earlier time on NCL hadn't factored into my decision at all... it's very much based on a combination the exact dates I have available to travel due to my work schedule, going out of LA or San Diego, price, and the activities on board. If I weren't trying to book something at such short notice, NCL would probably be farther down the list.

Thanks for your insight on the dining. It's a shame the crew isn't more creative about accommodating solos.

I'm another one who would never discourage you from cruising solo, as I've been on 17 solos myself, but in my opinion, and the opinion of many other solo cruisers here on this board, NCL is the least solo-friendly cruise line out there and freestyle dining is VERY solo unfriendly. NCL doesn't seem to attract nearly as many solos as lines such as RCCI, Princess and Carnival and they tend to have many young kids. I'll let it be known that I'm not at all a fan of NCL, as my two experiences with that line have been pretty bad cruises, so my views might be a bit colored towards the negative, but I think others here will attest that NCL isn't the best choice for a solo cruiser. Freestyle dining is good if you don't want to stick to a schedule, but it's not an experience that's solo friendly. You'll find yourself dining alone more often than not, as the crew on NCL just aren't attuned to accommodating the solo cruiser. And then you'll have the longer waits for a table if you dine at the most popular times, and that can be a real pain. I've known many who've tried NCL as solos and sworn "never again".

Don't base your choice of cruise line on when they hold their single get togethers. From experience, those things are lame and not well attended, if anyone at all shows up. If you stick to a line with traditional dining, those lines make every effort to put solos together at tables, so you don't have to worry about finding friends early on.

This young lady is not only far more experienced than myself but also far more eloquent, I have never cruised NCL with that said I have NEVER heard anything positive about this line solo or not. Her post is a rare example of why I continue to monitor this board. 17 solo cruises she's obviously figured it out...BRILLIANT!!!

This young lady is not only far more experienced than myself but also far more eloquent, I have never cruised NCL with that said I have NEVER heard anything positive about this line solo or not. Her post is a rare example of why I continue to monitor this board. 17 solo cruises she's obviously figured it out...BRILLIANT!!!

Thank you for the lovely compliment of "young lady". It's been a very long time since I've been referred to in that manner. But as I've always felt, age is but a number, and if you feel young, you are young.

Even though one might not have the same number of cruises as another, it doesn't make your opinions any less valid. I've been on 52 cruises altogether, and I'm still learning the ropes of cruising, solo or with friends/family. Everyone here has wonderful observations to pass along, and these boards are a wealth of information. We solos need to stick together, as many cruise lines continue to ignore our ever-growing numbers. But someday soon, a corporate exec will wake up and realize that we have money to spend and will hopefully make solo cruising a more pleasant experience.

Hey,

I just booked on RCI Vision of the Seas that is leaving out LA though and not SD and is a 7 day cruise to The Mexican Riverea. If that sounds good to you at all you may want to check on it. I got a pretty good solo fee. It's in May and you can always have dinner with me.

I've gone solo on one other cruise but it was a HAL and it was great. I'm booked on another HAL in Dec to the Caribbean but couldn't wait that long to go again so yesterday I booked the Mexican cruise.

At least if you go on that one you know at least one other solo person will be on board :D

Joanne

I just booked on RCI Vision of the Seas that is leaving out LA though and not SD and is a 7 day cruise to The Mexican Riverea. If that sounds good to you at all you may want to check on it. I got a pretty good solo fee. It's in May and you can always have dinner with me.

I've gone solo on one other cruise but it was a HAL and it was great. I'm booked on another HAL in Dec to the Caribbean but couldn't wait that long to go again so yesterday I booked the Mexican cruise.

At least if you go on that one you know at least one other solo person will be on board :D

That's so funny, because I just booked the Vision for Feb 24! Some meetings at work got shifted around yesterday, and I couldn't beat the price which got me a forward outside cabin for just under what I was going to pay for an inside on the Norwegian Star. I think there's even a CC meet & greet in the works for that sailing, which sounds far more interesting than a singles thing :D I will definitely let you know how it goes!

Kate

Oh you lucky girl! Sounds like a great trip. I'm with you I would rather have a CC meet up then a singles one.

Gee wiz girl, you only have a few weeks to wait for your trip! How exciting. Be sure to post about the trip and what you did so I can look forward to my trip!

Have a wonderful time! I know you will

On my Christmas cruise the singles meet up was at 11:15 PM, I'd been up since 5 with only 4 hours of sleep. *yawn*. When I walked by the bar, it appeared to be couples and older folk. I had more fun and ran into more people with my meet and greet. Make some friends there. It's much better.

I've never had much luck with Singles meets, at least on the shorter cruises I've gone on. Only one of them actually turned out to be anything close to a way to meet people - most of them didn't seem to be anything more than labeling a certain time in one of the dance clubs as a "Singles Meet" time. No announcement made, no gathering place, nothing actually done to seperate the singles from the throngs of dancers.

However, on my next Carnival cruise, I see from a recent schedule that they have two different Singles gatherings:

"Singles Meet and Greet Mixer - Come and meet your fellow guests and make the dance floor your own!" (in one of the dance clubs)

"Mature Singles Meet (over 40 - unsupervised)" (in the piano bar)

I'd initially think the first one was another dance party where you probably couldn't tell singles from non-singles, but that "unsupervised" on the second one makes me wonder what's "supervised" about the first one. OTOH, I *am* over 40 so I could go to the second one, but something tells me that may be even less interesting...

Still, we have a large CC role call on this cruise, so I've got a head start, at least.

I've just come back from South America on the NCL Norwegian Dream. I went to the Singles Meet and Greet and met 5 other lovely solo ladies....the 3 men that booked didn't show up! We met at 7pm and ate at 7.30pm and for the rest of the cruise we all met at various activities/meals etc. It was fantastic.

Freestyle dining was marvellous. I rocked up at 1230pm for lunch and 7pm for dinner, always asked for a share table and I never had to wait. The maitre'ds at all the restaurants were very accommodating. Sometimes 4 solos would arrive, we'd get together and then share with another couple. I met some wonderful people this way.

Now that I have experienced freestyle dining, I would NEVER go back to the traditional seated dining.

This was my first and last NCL cruise but the freestyle dining concept is definitely for me!!

Whatever u decide, have a great time!

Cheers

Ging466

(over 40 - unsupervised)
:eek: Don't tell me they're actually letting those over 40's run around all by themselves! :D

This was my first and last NCL cruise but the freestyle dining concept is definitely for me!!
Ging, I'm curious about why you didn't like the NCL cruise apart from the freestyle dining?

Kate

I'm a solo cruiser with Carnival. I can't speak for other lines, but Carnival is great for solos.

Others have said it and I agree... the singles meet and greets aren't what they seem like they should be. In the first one, I found it impossible to tell who was there for the meet and greet and who wasn't. There were people together, including couples. Well I learned quickly that sometimes you have to take these things into your own hands. So at the next one, I just stood up and asked who was there for the meet and greet. Everyone thought I was crazy, but in a good way, and we ended up having a great time.

I don't have a shy bone in my body, but I know this wouldn't be as easy for everyone. But really, you're already traveling solo, what've you got to lose??? Everyone is there to have a great time!

Thank you for the lovely compliment of "young lady". It's been a very long time since I've been referred to in that manner. But as I've always felt, age is but a number, and if you feel young, you are young.

Even though one might not have the same number of cruises as another, it doesn't make your opinions any less valid. I've been on 52 cruises altogether, and I'm still learning the ropes of cruising, solo or with friends/family. Everyone here has wonderful observations to pass along, and these boards are a wealth of information. We solos need to stick together, as many cruise lines continue to ignore our ever-growing numbers. But someday soon, a corporate exec will wake up and realize that we have money to spend and will hopefully make solo cruising a more pleasant experience.

I second that by saying hopefully they will make a little more affordable.

... Ging, I'm curious about why you didn't like the NCL cruise apart from the freestyle dining?

Kate

Hi Kate

My cruise on the Norwegian Dream was a nightmare. On the 2nd day of the cruise, we crashed into a container barge in Montevideo and then spent an extra 3 days getting the 'little dent' fixed and seaworthy. As a result, 3 ports were cancelled and we cruised past the international glaciers at 11pm at night. We were given a 50% refund - I'm still fighting to get my refund because I'm in Australia and I booked my trip through a travel agent so the whole procedure is extremely slow. NCL couldn't even electronically send the money - in this day and age of electronics - they sent half of it by cheque and in the mail! Now I've got to hassle them to get the rest of the refund. I didn't like their attitude towards us on the ship (especially when giving out onboard credits and their attitude towards the solo traveller who had paid 200% for their cabin) and I don't like their attitude towards me now when trying to obtain a promised refund. So the best thing is, I get over it and NEVER spend my hard earned dollars with them again.

Cheers

Ging

Hi Kate,

You've already checked in for the RCI Vision M & G but just so you know we are meeting at the pool bar after Muster for the Sailaway. There are several of us on the Roll call going solo. It will be a great time!

I prefer NCL because of Freestyle but I got this cruise at such a great price I couldn't pass it up and I'm excited to try RCI.

Princess and Carnival and Holland all offer better rates for solos, sometimes only 20% more. You may want to check this out and I'll tell you where when I see you at our Vision M&G.

Winnie

My cruise on the Norwegian Dream was a nightmare. On the 2nd day of the cruise, we crashed into a container barge in Montevideo and then spent an extra 3 days getting the 'little dent' fixed and seaworthy. As a result, 3 ports were cancelled and we cruised past the international glaciers at 11pm at night. We were given a 50% refund - I'm still fighting to get my refund because I'm in Australia and I booked my trip through a travel agent so the whole procedure is extremely slow. NCL couldn't even electronically send the money - in this day and age of electronics - they sent half of it by cheque and in the mail! Now I've got to hassle them to get the rest of the refund. I didn't like their attitude towards us on the ship (especially when giving out onboard credits and their attitude towards the solo traveller who had paid 200% for their cabin) and I don't like their attitude towards me now when trying to obtain a promised refund. So the best thing is, I get over it and NEVER spend my hard earned dollars with them again.

Oh my! I'm so sorry to hear that. And you still haven't received the refund :eek: I sincerely hope your next trip is outstanding.

Kate

You've already checked in for the RCI Vision M & G but just so you know we are meeting at the pool bar after Muster for the Sailaway. There are several of us on the Roll call going solo. It will be a great time!

Yay! Thanks for the info. I'd been kinda dreading the sailaway as a solo.

I prefer NCL because of Freestyle but I got this cruise at such a great price I couldn't pass it up and I'm excited to try RCI.

Yep, the price and timing on this trip made it one of the only options, other than a 3-4 day which I didn't really want to do this time around. I have to admit that the RCI commercials have always made me not want to sail with them, but after reading a lot on CC and other sites, I figured it was worth trying once! :)

Kate

RCI is a great line for singles. One thought, never believe what you see on those commercials or the pictures they have in their brochures. They really don't reflect the reality of the cruise line. It's just stuff they want you to believe. It's just like food commercials---have you ever gotten a sandwich like they show on TV? I sure haven't

Hmmm... that's not too encouraging! :D

I have no intention of "hooking up" (one of the reasons I'm avoiding hosted singles cruises), just wanted to possibly meet other solos to share meals with or hang out with, especially with the freestyle dining on NCL. Several people on this board and others had suggested attending the meet & greets when cruising solo, so it's interesting to hear what others' experiences are.

You brought up a great reason why so many solo's go Carnival. The first reason is the standard 150% for the 1A cat the other is Carnival places their solos togeather a dinner. I meet some nice people. When I went to the shows and saw one of the familar faces, I had a place to sit.

The people may be talking about the meet & greets that the roll calls here on these boards put togeather as opposed to the cruiseline "meet & greets"

I also had a cruise on the nightmare, I mean Dream. Many times I waited for the share table, with no one coming thru willing to share. Prime time in a popular dinning room forget it.

You brought up a great reason why so many solo's go Carnival. The first reason is the standard 150% for the 1A cat the other is Carnival places their solos togeather a dinner. I meet some nice people. When I went to the shows and saw one of the familar faces, I had a place to sit.

The people may be talking about the meet & greets that the roll calls here on these boards put togeather as opposed to the cruiseline "meet & greets"

I also had a cruise on the nightmare, I mean Dream. Many times I waited for the share table, with no one coming thru willing to share. Prime time in a popular dinning room forget it.

Yeah, the 150% for a 1A is good. And sometimes it's even less. Does Carnival do the table seating automatically, or do you have to go to the Maitre'D to ask for the solo's table? I'm doing a solo for the first time next month and was curious about that.

As for your comments on the Dream, what is the "share table"? I considered a solo cruise on NCL but I've seen a few similar comments which make me wonder if that's a good idea...

Archived