Manhattan Pier Renovation?

jscruise

Does anyone have any updates (pictures, etc) about the condition of the Manhattan Piers now that the refurbishment has begun? I haven't sailed out of Manhattan in 3 years and will be this summer.

Thanks in advance.

jscruise

I was just there last Sunday to see the Cunard Queens that were berthed there and I didn't see any renovations going on at the piers. The only pier renovation I saw going on was the Intrepid pier.

Here are pics of the Queen Victoria and QE2 - you can see some of the piers from the pics:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/562140719xbIVMV

Pier 88 has been totally renovated they redid the inside and added aprons all around the first level of the pier giving much more space to provision the ship. It took almost a year to complete. They are going to do piers 90 and 92 next over the next eighteen months. I didn't take pictures but the reports from people who have been through pier 88 is that it is much nicer and fully handicap accessible. The gangways are also totally new on pier 88...

Pier 88 has been totally renovated they redid the inside and added aprons all around the first level of the pier giving much more space to provision the ship. It took almost a year to complete. They are going to do piers 90 and 92 next over the next eighteen months. I didn't take pictures but the reports from people who have been through pier 88 is that it is much nicer and fully handicap accessible. The gangways are also totally new on pier 88...

Pier 92 (which I believe QE2 was berthed at) was old, but functional. The huge advantage when disembarking is that the collection of luggage is after immigration.

Co-incidence, I am sure, but the official we had was the most friendly (indeed the ONLY friendly) official we've had entering America.

Matthew

Pier 92 (which I believe QE2 was berthed at) was old, but functional. The huge advantage when disembarking is that the collection of luggage is after immigration.

Co-incidence, I am sure, but the official we had was the most friendly (indeed the ONLY friendly) official we've had entering America.

Matthew

I am sure for the three Queens they were on their best behavior. Pier 92 will be redone. Pier 88 was brand spanking new and it was where the QV was. The last time I came through the pier it was last February and they did the Immigration on the ship...I'll be at 88 in February but technically pictures are not allowed inside the terminal for security reasons---which they rarely if even enforce...they do enforce it in the parking lot on top of the piers but they allow you to take pictures from the ship to the pier---another idiotic rule.

I was at one of them for my recent Gem cruise 1/5 -- 1/16. The pier was totally redone inside. The lines were clearly marked. The floors were carpeted. There's an actual counter instead of computers on folding tables. The inside temp was reasonable. I understand there is a nice waiting area for suite passangers.

Coming back was still like being in a crazy warehouse but you do now go through customs just like at the airport.

I just drove past the terminals. Pier 88 still has a crane working on the south side. Pier 90 looks like its been painted on the outside and new cleaner glass but they haven't extended the first floor as they were supposed to. Pier 92 looks like old pier 92...Maybe for the QUeens they slapped a coat of paint on or they ran out of money and that's it......you never know but pier 88 had been stripped down to a skeleton and redone not so piers 90 and 92.

Archived