A Few Freedom Q`s

This being our first trip to Europe, I was hoping for a few answers to a few questions, I apologize in advance for any repeats of any threads of this nature.

1) Where on the ship is the self laundry facility?

2) On the Europe trips , do they offer those nifty "stuff a bag" laundry specials?

3)Is there a fluid restriction on overseas flights? (limiting shampoo, lotions, etc.)

4) what is provided by cruise that we dont have to worry about bringing, I am assuming there will be shampoo and soap, hopefully robes, anything else I can leave at home?

5)Best place to get Euros?

6)How many formal nights on a 12 day cruise?

7)I thought I heard somewhere that bare shoulders and shorts are not allowed in the churches in Italy, and elsewhere. What did you do to get around this, bring a shawl?

8) Ship leaves at 7pm, what is a good time to board and still have a little time to explore Rome?

Thanks for any help, we are trying to start planning our excursions, if anyone knows what we should NOT miss, or should pass by, that would be helpful also.

I know this is a ways away, but getting started on the planning.

This being our first trip to Europe, I was hoping for a few answers to a few questions, I apologize in advance for any repeats of any threads of this nature.

1) Where on the ship is the self laundry facility?

2) On the Europe trips , do they offer those nifty "stuff a bag" laundry specials?

3)Is there a fluid restriction on overseas flights? (limiting shampoo, lotions, etc.)

4) what is provided by cruise that we dont have to worry about bringing, I am assuming there will be shampoo and soap, hopefully robes, anything else I can leave at home?

5)Best place to get Euros?

6)How many formal nights on a 12 day cruise?

7)I thought I heard somewhere that bare shoulders and shorts are not allowed in the churches in Italy, and elsewhere. What did you do to get around this, bring a shawl?

8) Ship leaves at 7pm, what is a good time to board and still have a little time to explore Rome?

Thanks for any help, we are trying to start planning our excursions, if anyone knows what we should NOT miss, or should pass by, that would be helpful also.

I know this is a ways away, but getting started on the planning.

1. The ship has several laundry rooms, I don't remember exactly, but about every other deck has one, it seems like they are always on the starboard side of the ship and between the midship and aft elevators. Call Carnival they can tell you exactly

2. Yes, when I was on the Freedom last march they had the $15 per bag day.

3. Yes, the same fluid restrictions apply, but I would say that in Europe they are much stricter about the 50lb checked per bag and 1 carry on rule. I even had to put my purse in my carry on.

4. Soap, shampoo, robes, hair dryers.... All the regular stuff is provided, plus the gift shop on the ship has all of these items if you need them.

5. Definately before you leave the states. I got mine at TravelEx but you might check others. You can get Euro's from the ATM's in Europe but there is an additional charge that your bank will assess.

6. I'm think it's still just 2. I don't really remember though.

7. You are correct, no shoulders or shorts. I wore Capri's and a tee shirt type short sleeve top.

8. You will need to explore Rome before you board the ship. The port is at least an hour south of Rome. I didn't leave from Rome, but if I had I would have wanted to have at least a day in Rome after arriving in country to rest, then explore, then sleep and get up on the morning of embarkation for a little bit more exploring. I would head to the port by 2pm for a 7pm departure.

Thanks so much for the info, Okgirl! I will try to see if I can figure out where the laundry is by my brochure, (empty, unnamed spot) I believe we are on the empress deck, (7), it sure would be nice if it were there,

Were there any excursions you reccommend? besides Rome, we are arriving a day early and spending a day there before embarcation day.Thanks again,!

Thanks so much for the info, Okgirl! I will try to see if I can figure out where the laundry is by my brochure, (empty, unnamed spot) I believe we are on the empress deck, (7), it sure would be nice if it were there, We were on 7, cabin 7325 & 7317, and laundry just down the hall. Gets very busy on sailing days so get there really early. At one point there must have been some kind of commotion, because it was locked and night and opened again in the morning.

Were there any excursions you reccommend? besides Rome, we are arriving a day early and spending a day there before embarcation day.Thanks again,!

If you haven't already check out the Europe boards and your sailing date Roll Call. We gained loads of information for our excursions, met people on line with did excursions with. Youa re smart to start your planning this far out, you will need it!!

Thanks 7toeleven, I think we are cabins 7406 and 7408, I have been haunting the role call sites and such, but its all so overwhelming, trying to figure out what to do with such a port intensive cruise.I welcome any and all tips and advise. In the past I just had to figure for 1 or 3 ports, Thanks for any help!:eek:

The exact location of the laundry on that deck is between cabins 7235 and 7237. It will be quite a distance from your cabins if you are in the ones you named. They do have the $15 per bag special at least twice during the 12 days.

We've purchased a bunch of Euro before leaving and gotten the rest from the ATM's once we're there but we also always spend several days in Rome first. Make sure you have a 4 digit PIN for your ATM card and notify your bank. The ship has the worst exchange rate of all but they're available if you have no other choice.

There are 2 formal nights.

Bare shoulders and knees (men or women) are not acceptable for churches or mosques. A scarf tied around your shoulders/arms will work if you have on a tank top or something. You won't be able to get in the Vatican improperly dressed and although you might be able to GET IN some other churches, it's considered disrespectful.

Rome is such a fascinating city that you can't do it justice in a day. I'd recommend if you are going that far, that you try to go in a day or two early and see Rome. For some that's just not possible but if it's a once in a lifetime trip....try to give it a little extra time. You won't regret it!

Archived