Is a credit card necessary to get a Sign & Sail card?

Carnival Game

I'll be cruising with my 21-year old son, who does not have a credit card. I'd like him to have his own Sign & Sail card in order to keep our expenditures separate so he can pay for his own beverages, gambling, and what have you. Will they issue him a card without his having a credit card in his name?

Many people prefer to use cash. It prevents a hold from being placed on your credit card and keeps some folks a bit more aware of their spending.

Just have him go to the Purser's Desk once he's on board and put what he feels comfortable with on the account. If he runs low on funds on the S&S card they'll let him know so he can add more.

Many people prefer to use cash. It prevents a hold from being placed on your credit card and keeps some folks a bit more aware of their spending.

Just have him go to the Purser's Desk once he's on board and put what he feels comfortable with on the account. If he runs low on funds on the S&S card they'll let him know so he can add more.

You can also set it up as a cash account before you even board. As for how much you need to put down, I believe it varies with the length of the cruise, but could be as little as $150 or as much as $250 - I *think*. Remember that unless you prepaid tips, those will go on the S&S account immediately when it's set up.

How much cash is required? (We'd rather carry as little as possible). No, he doesn't have a debit card either. I have enough time...perhaps I'll call my credit card company and ask to have his name added onto my card.

You don't need to contact your credit card company to add him to your card. When you fill out your cruise docs you can list him on your S&S account as an authorized user. You credit card company will receive the bill from Carnival like you spent the total, his name will appear only on your S&S bill not on your credit card bill. That way he does not have forever access to your credit card.

Dan

How much cash is required? (We'd rather carry as little as possible). No, he doesn't have a debit card either. I have enough time...perhaps I'll call my credit card company and ask to have his name added onto my card.
k

Actually his name doesnt need to actually be on your credit card.

When the two of you check in the agent can link your sign and sail accounts to your credit card.

This is what we do when we cruise.

k

Actually his name doesnt need to actually be on your credit card.

When the two of you check in the agent can link your sign and sail accounts to your credit card.

This is what we do when we cruise.

But will the charges be itemized separately with his name and my name if I just "add" his name to my card? I want him to have his own bill and pay off his own expenses when he gets home.

Each card will have a folio number associated with it. You should be able to separate the charges that way. When you view the charges on the TVs in the room, you enter the folio number. If you are set up as the master account, then you will see all charges. You can then enter your son's number and you will see the charges that he made using his card.

But will the charges be itemized separately with his name and my name if I just "add" his name to my card? I want him to have his own bill and pay off his own expenses when he gets home.

Save yourself the headache of itemizing and just have him put down a cash deposit. No muss no fuss. LOL

He should still get his own bill linked to his cabin. We did this with our son when his debit card set up a red flag in Mexico (he forgot to tell the bank he was traveling out of the country) and put a stop to his card.

I just added him on to our card but he still received a separate bill from Carnival. But you cc will have a total of one charge for everyone from Carnival.........

Cash is King!!! We always put down a cash deposit and add funds as needed during the cruise. It keeps you accountable for your spending and the best part is no Credit Card bill hangover 30 days after your cruise.

Go Dave Ramsey.:)

Well yeah, but try getting American Express to give you your cash back when you get mugged in Miami.

Archived