food allergies and Seabourn

lifelover

I noticed in another thread the topic of food allergies. I have severe food allergies (which I emailed Seabourn about, in general, before we booked). Can Seabourn chefs handle very specific dietary guidelines? Simonmary: how was yours handled? Thanks.

Seabourn can handle most food allergies, but without knowing what allergies you have it really isn't possible to knowledgeably opine. I think because of your use of the word "severe" you leave it to Seabourn to address it. One thing for certain, though: If Seabourn can't handle it they will tell you. (Be sure to speak with Guest Services if you have not yet done so.)

I noticed in another thread the topic of food allergies. I have severe food allergies (which I emailed Seabourn about, in general, before we booked). Can Seabourn chefs handle very specific dietary guidelines? Simonmary: how was yours handled? Thanks.

Mine went quite well, all things considered. I had notified Seabourn, as did my TA. I wasn't quite as agressive as I should have been, and was in denial for a good deal of it, but it turned out in the end.

At the (forcefull) suggestion of my allergist, I have business cards made up that list my allergies. These, I gave out the first few days. The chef and I spoke briefly, and Dali worked with me as well. Chef Michael made me bread - real bread that was great. I kept telling myself that I was imagining the difficulty breathing after eating the bread. Found out the last morning when I got the recipie that it had butter in it! Not enough to send me into complete anaphylaxis, but enough to try and get my attention. Only real "issue" was a cross-contamination problem once. That was handled with Benadryl, so even that wasn't bad. And, for this few problems in a week I figure was pretty good going.

I had sweets each night (a treat for me as most places can't accomodate my SWEMA- Stupid Wheat Eggs Milk Allergy).

Next time, I won't play Cleopatra (Queen of Denial) over what I think might be going on with my body.

I will also insist on sitting down and figuring out the meals with the chef within the first couple of days. Complete with the ingredients of the item. I think if I had done this, then the bread (they made sure it was gluten free, just forgot about the butter being "milk") problem would have been solved, and I would have had a MUCH nicer time of life.

They did have soy milk for my tea, and Dali was so careful with my cross-contamination, as was Rob.

Thank you so much for your reply and providing the details of your experience. I haven't heard back yet from Seabourn in response to my letter of allergies, but I know they'll do everything in their power to accomodate. Now I have a little more information about how to handle it once I'm on the ship!

Archived