Acapulco Cliff divers

Amy G

Unless the schedule of performances has recently changed, here are the times: 12:45 pm, 7:30 pm, 8:30 pm, 9:30 pm, and 10:30 pm. It's typical for a special morning show to be added to accommodate cruise ship schedules.

I prefer the daytime shows, because I think you can see more and the scenery is most beautiful in daylight. No need to charter a boat to see the divers - going on foot affords the best view, IMO.

I suggest, when you get to La Quebrada where the divers perform, that you do not go to the adjacent hotel restaurant to view, but, rather, to view from the several platforms or from the stairway down to the water - it's what'll get you the closest view.

I've posted some photos of the divers, and La Quebrada, and you can view them by clicking on the following link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/549814575kitTvh

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at all the great pictures, thanks. I kept asking myself, how is this person getting these pictures from so many different angles!

My question is this. I saw a ticket booth in one of the pictures, how much does it cost to view the dive? And do they dive just once?

I saw the divers in mazatlan, do I need to see these guys too?

If I'm recalling correctly, the cost of the dive show - when you don't go with the cruise-organized trip (which is more expensive) is about MX$35.00, or just more than US$3.00 . . . and that includes a bottle of beer, water or soft drink! For me, daytime viewing is the only way to see these divers. The Acapulco divers are THE divers and for the low price being charged, and for the breathtaking scene, I'll describe it as a 'do not miss' at least once in your life, if you'll be in the area. A half-dozenor more divers dive, I think it's just once each diver.

They don't publish this, but they have another morning show around 11:30AM. Mostly to accommodate cruise ships. Just get a taxi around 10:45AM and hire him for an hour or two. Tell him to confirm the 11:30AM show. He will drop you off at the ticket booth. Costs about $8 and includes a soda. Just walk down the stairs fro very close up viewing. The divers come right back up the steps so tip them.

Have thed river take you to Hotel Los Flamingos, Acapulco. It's an older hotel but in its prime everyone from John Wayne to Johnny Weissmuller stayed there.

If you have time, the Fort is right across from the ship. It's free (has some air conditioned rooms) and there is a bridge that crosses over the street to make access easy.

Yes, the divers put on special a.m. shows to accommodate cruise ship schedules. The price is more than double what the regular shows cost, but much less than the ship excursion.

About Los Flamingos: Like the La Perla restaurant where the divers perform, I don't suggest friends of mine go there. To each his own preferences.

About Fort San Diego: My memory is failing me in my old age, but I recall always paying an entrance fee at the Fort.

Archived