Don't Forget ___ and Don't Bother With ____

senrab

Things I brought that were great: Power strip (with 3 phones, 2 cameras, and ipod and a DS - we needed this)

Over the door shoe organizer - again, with 4 people in the cabin (one a teen female) we had lots of little stuff and various toiletries this really helped keep the cabin organized and made it easy to find stuff

Smaller bills - 1 and 5 for tips and easier spending

sweaters - the dining room can get cold!

Did not pack and wish we did: snorkeling gear - renting this was expesive, could have bought some for less money.

Don't forget the ear plugs. We had one cruise where the most awesome band tried to deafen everyone. Then there are strange noises caused by plumbing, elevators, drunks and kids. Another thing that I won't leave home without is a small backpack.

Wow, thanks again, Clackey for a great idea.

I was just rummaging through the garage and came across some earplugs that were included in with a chainsaw I had purchased years ago for the gardener to use. I no longer have the chainsaw (gave it to the gardener), but those earplugs - wow!! I can finally use them.

:D

Things I needed but didn't take:

Insulated travel mug-thought I'd buy one on the ship but they sold out very quickly.

Beach bag. I brought a string bag (that goes on your back) but it wsn't big enough for towels etc. Bought a nice one in port and will be sure to bring next time. Packs flat and has a zipper closure.

Things I've taken but didn't need:

Extra oulets plug/power strip. You really don't need to charge everything at once! Two outlets are plenty.

Nightlight-although we hven't been in inside cabin and think it would be good for that.

Over the door shoe organizer. Even with 3 women and a preteen in one cabin, didn't need it. There was plenty of storage, shelves, drawers on all the lines I've cruised.

Things I take that most do not:

A thin beach towel that many do not. It is much easier to carry off the ship-lightweight and dries quickly. Not much space in the suitcase.

MY OWN PILLOW. No matter how bad the bed, I'll always sleep better with my own pillow and pillow case. If my suitcase is too full on the return, I'll leave the pillow behind (not an expensive one).

What I learned about here and now will never sail without: GINGER! I've suffered from motion sickness all my life, and 3 of my 5 prior cruises had involved being seasick (but not to the extent I ever missed a meal ;) ). I started the ginger the morning prior to sailing (the day we flew to FLL), and took it every a.m. and p.m. I also started Bonine the morning of the cruise and felt so good I didn't even take it during the period of our 3 consecutive port days). We had choppy seas when we departed and had 9' swells on our final day at sea. I had absolutely NO problems.

Did you take it in capsule form? I've been on previous cruises and usually wind up feeling sick only if the seas get rough, but it would be nice to take a simple preventative measure like this.

Only works if you have a balcony...........my wife and I battle over the air conditioner..........I like it max...she likes it off..................well I could leave it on max.......and have the bungee cord hold the door open.......................plus with the boat moving......laying across the bed and the night breeze and water sounds.............that is great

Something I will take with us on our cruise this year--travel lighted alarm clocks!!! On our cruise in Alaska this past June, my DS was up looking for his DS one morning (both DS's are allowed to play them with headphones until my DH and I get up, as long as it is after 6am) and I walked into the bathroom to read the clock on my watch--it was 3:50am!!!! But there was light coming from under the curtains, so he assumed that it was time to get up. That's what we get from being in Alaska on the longest day of the year :)

I'm just gonna rely on my cell phone to know the time. I haven't used an alarm clock in years.

I was concerned about how to get the wrinkles out of my clothes after I unpack, and I decided that I'm just gonna use a dampened cloth and a hair dryer. I tried it already. Works great. Saves me money on buying a steamer.

I cannot speak for all cruises lines but on Hal you should never leave the balcony door open. It screws up the air conditioning. There is literature in the cabins asking people not to do this.

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to ask what about my DD(8). What can I give her for sea sickness?

My DS has been cruising with us for years. In the beginning when he was about 6 we gave him children's dramamine. Ask your druggist if they carry it as not all drugstores do. Sea Bands are also another suggestion and you can also get them at most drugstores. But, the newest thing I have found that works is ginger gum!!! They look just like chicklets and taste just like regular gum, but they work! They are made by the same company that makes Sea Bands. I found the gum at Rite Aid. Just look in the section where they sell stuff for motion sickness.

Have a great trip!:D

My DS has been cruising with us for years. In the beginning when he was about 6 we gave him children's dramamine. Ask your druggist if they carry it as not all drugstores do. Sea Bands are also another suggestion and you can also get them at most drugstores. But, the newest thing I have found that works is ginger gum!!! They look just like chicklets and taste just like regular gum, but they work! They are made by the same company that makes Sea Bands. I found the gum at Rite Aid. Just look in the section where they sell stuff for motion sickness.

Have a great trip!:D

I just purchased a bottle of ginseng capsules before I read this. However, I wouldn't have even thought of ginseng if it weren't for these boards.

Keep the ideas coming!!! :)

I've seen a few people mention post its and highlighter. Why? Thank you :)

Highlighters to highlight things you want to do in the Daily's. I highlight things I want to do in one color, the things DH wants to do in another color and so on.

The post it's are great for leaving notes for the stewards or for other people in your cabin if you go your seperate ways for a while.

I just purchased a bottle of ginseng capsules before I read this. However, I wouldn't have even thought of ginseng if it weren't for these boards.

Keep the ideas coming!!! :)

Duh. I just saw what I wrote. Duh Duh Duh.

I purchased ginseng, not ginger. I really had a bad brain fart.

Do we need to bring our own beach towels or can we take them from the ship? If we can take from the ship are they a good size for the beach?

I'm going on my very first cruise in a few days, so I don't know how big the towels are, but I did read that all towels are inventoried. You are allowed to take them off the ship at the ports of call, but make sure you bring them back. Otherwise, they'll charge you for any that are missing.

The beach towels are large and fluffy. It's true that if you don't bring it back you're supposed to be charged, but I've never heard of that happening :) . Usually there's a big bin just past the scanner (when you reboard) where you toss the towels.

Others have mentioned that the highlighter is to highlight those activities on the daily papers that you want to do. The note pads or sticky notes are to leave notes for other members of the family, or even for the room steward.

I've heard to pack a nightlight, so I've got it in my bag!

I'm just gonna rely on my cell phone to know the time. I haven't used an alarm clock in years.

I was concerned about how to get the wrinkles out of my clothes after I unpack, and I decided that I'm just gonna use a dampened cloth and a hair dryer. I tried it already. Works great. Saves me money on buying a steamer.

I use Downy Wrinkle reducer. It works really good. You just spray the item, shake it out or whatever. I bought a steamer for last cruise but its kind of a pain in the a** and takes up more room. Try it, you might like it!:D

Someone else mentioned this I think but I can't emphasize enough not to forget earplugs for each person. We are only going on our first cruise soon but we travel a lot otherwise - hotels, motels, relatives - earplugs are a must to keep on the nightstand ready to use in case of noise.

Some very good ideas here, some of which I haven't thought of and we travel a lot!

Things I always bring that I don't need: too many clothes (I guess it's genetic)

Things I will never forget: post-its, tour book (Fodor's or similar) of area we're visiting...loaded with info on where to eat, shop and visit; lighted travel alarm clock; night light (many places don't have them in bathroom, many do, why take a chance) a Tide stick (this even removes red wine from woolen sweaters!) Purel (purse size) and Air Bourne which we start taking a few days before we leave and take 2x daily while we're gone. In France last Oct. we were the only ones in the group who did not get sick.

Someone else mentioned this I think but I can't emphasize enough not to forget earplugs for each person. We are only going on our first cruise soon but we travel a lot otherwise - hotels, motels, relatives - earplugs are a must to keep on the nightstand ready to use in case of noise.

I brought earplugs and never found a need to use them. My cabin was right near the staircases and elevators, so there were plenty of people passing by. However, it was very, very quiet in my cabin. I'm amazed at how soundproof it was.

My daughter, on the other hand, was in the adjacent cabin and she was able to hear someone coughing all night.

So, who knows? Guess it depends on the person.

Archived