to west coast from east coast

mdeane

Hello West Coast.....first may I say that the few times I have visited the west I really loved it. Thanks for sharing.

We will have one day and night in Vancouver Aug.1-2. With us will be our two grandchildren ages 12 and 14 (boy and girl). This is a post cruise visit after Alaska. My question....there seems sooooo much to do in Vancouver, what would be the best to priortize for our visit? What would the kids like in Stanley Park?

Hotel questions....we are looking at the Blue Horizon, The Sylvia and the The Listel. Would you have better suggestions? Should we try to stay on Robson St. or English Bay? I will really appreciate any information you can share with me.

If we should need to get to Seattle for better flight schedule, how is the best way to travel from Vancouver to Seattle?

Sorry for so many questions but I like to hear from the experts. Glad I found you on this board. Myra

Hi Myra. We did Vancouver last year for our post-cruise to Alaska. We found the Hop On/Hop Off Bus (I think it was $20 per person and good for 2 days) was the best bet for sightseeing. Stanley Park is HUGE and I don't really think there is anything that the kids would go nuts over. One of the stops was Granville Island which is a BIG Market/Flea Market, food, crafts, souvenirs, outdoor area for ice cream people watch - entertainment, stilts, puppets, etc. very entertaining. We are going to Alaska again in May and we will go to the market when we are in Vancouver. Robes Street is loaded with shopping and I found it to be very expensive and wouldn't want to waste my time walking that LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG street again. Stay away from Chinatown (another stop on the Hop On/Hop Off). It wasn't the cleanest place to go to.

marlene

Hi Myra. We did Vancouver last year for our post-cruise to Alaska. We found the Hop On/Hop Off Bus (I think it was $20 per person and good for 2 days) was the best bet for sightseeing. Stanley Park is HUGE and I don't really think there is anything that the kids would go nuts over. One of the stops was Granville Island which is a BIG Market/Flea Market, food, crafts, souvenirs, outdoor area for ice cream people watch - entertainment, stilts, puppets, etc. very entertaining. We are going to Alaska again in May and we will go to the market when we are in Vancouver. Robes Street is loaded with shopping and I found it to be very expensive and wouldn't want to waste my time walking that LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG street again. Stay away from Chinatown (another stop on the Hop On/Hop Off). It wasn't the cleanest place to go to.

marlene

"Hotel questions....we are looking at the Blue Horizon, The Sylvia and the The Listel. Would you have better suggestions? Should we try to stay on Robson St. or English Bay? I will really appreciate any information you can share with me."

You will be in Vancouver during the busiest weekend of the entire summer - on the Saturday night August 2 will be the finale of our international famous fireworks competition - this draws upwards of 500,000 to the downtown core - I can't tell from your post if you will be there for the 2nd or whether you sail that day - if you are and can get a room at the Sylvia go for it - the fireworks display will be right out your front window.

It is also our Gay Pride week - the area around the Sylvia and Davie/Denman will be the most impacted with events - if you are concerned about that event then stay at the Blue Horizon/Listel as Robson St will be far enough away from the Pride activites - Robson street is like Rodeo Drive or Newberry Street in Boston - has lots of great restaurants as well.

Yes Stanley Park is huge - its bigger than Central Park in NYC - there is free shuttle that will take you around the park - the grandkids should enjoy the aquarium - will agree with the other poster that Granville Island is worth a visit as well as Science world.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

"If we should need to get to Seattle for better flight schedule, how is the best way to travel from Vancouver to Seattle?"

Try this link:http://www.quickcoach.com/

I have used the service myself to get from one port to the other.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived