How to avoid combat fishing?

Sierra Fox

We'll be going up to Alaska in mid-July and the only thing my dad is intersted in doing is fishing, mainly, fly fishing for trout.

We're trying to talk him into doing fly-out trips in Juneau and Ketchikan to get him out into the mountains at those two stops. In Skagway, we are going to rent a car and follow Murray's guide, so anywhere along that road that he can fish before we cross into Canada will be great.

It's the time we are going to spend on the Kenai Peninsula that has me wondering where he can go. I know the Kenai River is supposed to be good fishing but he's not going to want to go anywhere that he's going to be shoulder to shoulder with other anglers, which I know is going to be hard at that time of the year. He's more interested in trout than salmon, if that makes any difference.

Also, for some reason, I have the idea that they close down some of the rivers when the salmon start to run. Is that a truth or just something I made up in my head? Our cruise leaves on 7/14 so he'll be wanting to fish the rivers and streams on the 11th, 12th and 13th. Any suggestions? - SF

If you stay north of the Russian River confluence and closer to Kenai Lake, you should avoid "combat fishing" during the time frame. MOST of this area is drift boat only. And Kenai Lake is where the trout are. I would suggest you get a good guide in that area. Or go further south (south of Soldotna) during this time frame. Mostly salmon further south, but some trout and greyling.

The rules and regulations are complicated. Some streams are closed on certain days, some streams only allow drift boats on certain days. Here are the complete rules for this year for the Kenai Peninsula. But please be aware that these rules change during the season, depending on fish.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/2007/southcentral/07SCkenai.pdf

Since you're coming to Carcross, pick up a permit at the gas station ($10 for 1-day non-resident). Walk up Lake Bennett (up the railroad tracks) 7-800 feet from the new footbridge to a bit of a point - that's the best road-accessible flyfishing in the area (Arctic grayling and lake trout). There's a bunch of huge boulders just off the point, and the deep channel where the trout are is about 60-70 feet offshore. You'll have the spot all to yourself 99% of the time.

Yukon, is that walkable from the Princess Kenai lodge? We will be transported via bus from Whittier and won't have transportation? any advice? looking for the same - quiet spot.....

Probably not - it's about an 18-hour drive from the Kenai Princess :D (it's just north of Skagway)

:eek: well, darn! any suggestions for walking from Princess Kenai? thanks,

Make sure you pack a big lunch and take along some one you can out run?

That way the bears will eat your buddie and you won't have to share your

lunch?

Stacym

Archived