Gondola Ride in Venice

I noticed that many of you either booked the ride as a part of a tour package or just dropped by the dock near the bridge to catch the ride.

Would it be better to book the ride in advance to reserve your spot?

I fear that if many cruise ships docked at Venice in early June, one may have to wait a long time and miss the opportunity to get in a gondola. I would hate to miss it.

Any tips or toughts on this?

Thanks!

There were no shortage of Gondoliers waiting for customers when we were there - but that was September. Don't know how much busier June is, if any.

Our Gondola ride in Venice is a memory I'll love for years. We really enjoyed it and it was worth every penny. I don't even mind the fact that we paid a bit more than average (around 130 euros) for a longer tour from a prime location at a prime time of day. In fact even though we were traveling with another couple we hired two different Gondolas at that rate. We did this because, as you'll see in Venice, there is just one nice seat for two in a Gondola - a nice forward facing "love seat". They carry up to 6 but others sit on small stools or chairs, not the nice love seat.

We hired our Gondola just before sunset, so the sun was setting towards the end of our 45 minute ride. We took a long winding path through the canals and for a short while went down the Grand Canal with a view of the Rialto bridge. Our gondolier gave a few interesting tour bits and pointed out some nice buildings. We did go down one canal that smelled foul, but that was at most 3 or 4 minuites of our trip and the rest was fine and in nice looking areas.

Yes it was expensive - but how often is one in Venice? This may just have been a once in a lifetime experience for us and we wanted a ride and wanted to do it right. If you don't want to pay as much take several people, or a tour, on a shorter ride or in a less desirable location of Venice.

We hired our gondola at a prime location. I can't recall the name of the square or bridge it was by, but I do recall there was a Prada store right there - and found the spot on the maps: Click here for google or here for MS live

Bottom line - everyone has to decide what they want to do and what it is worth to them. For us our Gondola ride was worth every cent we paid for it. I have a couple pictures here and some

and here. (Click the underlined words for links). If others don't think a Gondola ride is worth it then that is fine, but I don't want to hear anyone tell me it wasn't worth it to me.

GREAT movie- sealed the deal for me! It will just be the three of us in the gondola alone :)

I highly recommend the gondola ride. Also recommended in "1000 Places to See Before You Die". I've done it twice, once while shoe-horned in the gondola with a group tour and once with my mother. So the romance aspect of it wasn't quite there. However I plan on taking my wife next year.

I also recommend having expresso at the historic Cafe Florian. On that evening the "Acqua Alta" was chasing people out of the square but the roving minstrels were still playing "Time to Say Goodbye" and people were still dancing ahead of the rising water, it was a great moment.

I would avoid the murano factory tour and look for bargains in the street, I did better there. Also avoid Harry's Bar, I felt it was not worth the effort. Small place with ordinary atmosphere, bad service, expensive.

I was there 15 years ago and doing Europe on the cheap. We got a free trip to Murano in a private water taxi ( and a hard sales job after words, too bad they didn't now we didn't have no $$ in those days;) ). After that great free boat trip all we felt the need for was "Oh look at those gondolas lets get a picture."

We'll be there this year, and I know this time I want to do it. My wife showed little interest so we'll see if she in the romantic mood when the time arrives.

I think this is a very personal decisions. You are in Venice! Gotta ask yourself why you spent thousands for the ship and more for the ticket and even more for the activities. It is a small price for a unique experience in a very unique place. As one poster's story told, it was more then she could every have dreamed, I'm not expecting that. I'm expecting nothing more but the total tourist experience and photo op.

As to price, you can complain or say no way. But the whole place is a tourist trap. They charge what the market will take. Its called supply and demand. No different than those cruise or plane fares in peak season.

Now all you Venice visitors go plan a gondola ride! Once you get there let your heart tell you what to do, NOT your pocketbook!

• 2 months later...

....You'll find me riding in a gondola down the grand canal wearing my Venetian mask, with Venetian glass around my neck and a Bellini from Harry's in my hand! Why? Because Ive never been to Venice and CANT wait!! And frankly the cost of the experience just once...is worth it to me. Then i can "check it off"my list.

But...i can see the other perspective and its a personal thing. Just had to chime in.

N

My first trip to Venice was over 20 years ago and a day trip between night trains with friends from college and none of us were in relationships or had any money at the time so we just watched the gondolas (Venice with no money is like New York City with no money, doable but no where near as fun as it can be). Next year hubby and I will be taking a gondola ride, its one of those things you just gotta do.

Waterbus (ACTV) and walking.

For those who are not wealthy, you can try a traghetto aka gondola ferry. For 1/2 euro they will take you from one side of the canal to the other.

No plush upholstery or roses or ..., but for 0.5 euro???

They can be found in a number of locations.

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

Archived