Just back from the Voyager

My sister and I spent the last week (January 13 - 20, 2008) on the Voyager and we had a wonderful time.

We were in GS1252 and had a wonderful room steward by the name of Ziggy. He made sure that every one of his cabins was always cleaned, well stocked with ice and towels. He would always stop his work to wish everyone, by first name, a good morning or evening and always asked if we needed anything.

Our waiter Harry and his assistant Georgianna, made sure that we were always satisfied with our meals. If we were not satisfied he promptly removed the dish and brought us something else to eat. Of course everything we ate was to our liken so we never had to send anything back. On the 14th the waiters came by and brought my sister two slices of coconut cream cake and sang her happy birthday since they knew we were going to be eating at Portofino's on her actually birthday. The food in Portofino's was well worth the $20.00 surcharge that we each paid. The head chef at Portofino's wrote "Happy Birthday" in chocolate on a big white dish and added a chocolate cup cake and brought it to our table to help my sister, Froggie620, celebrate her birthday too.

I was afraid of eating at Johnny Rockets due to some of the reviews here but I believe a person needs to make up their own minds so off to JR we went. The food was great - I had a BLT and my sister had the grilled chicken sandwich. As a rule we do not like onion rings but they smelled so good we decided to try them. They are "to die for". We had 3 servings of them. The staff puts on a terrific show so if you go, go early to stand outside the door until they open, promptly at 1:00 PM. You will want to seat inside so you can see the show. Be sure to bring your camera.

There is a little sandwich shop near the red convertible (I forget the name) that should not be missed. They make the best sandwiches and pizza that I have ever tasted on a cruise ship. And their desserts and cookies must be tried. You will find your self going back for seconds.

Getting on the ship was fast and painless. Getting off the ship was another story because you have 3,000 passengers trying to get off the ship at the same time. Every one stuck to their colors, mainly because if you tried to sneak off the ship before your color was called the crew checking you off the ship sent you back to the end of the line until your color was called. The line seemed to backup once we were in the terminal. We were in line for about 30 minutes before we were able to walk to our tour bus but everyone in line seemed to take it in stride and no one seem to get upset because of the wait.

The two shows were saw was fabulous. The ice skating show and the magic/illusion show was awesome. It is amazing to see how skaters can put on a show on such a small arena and while the ship is moving. It is well worth standing in line to get tickets to see this show. The magic show was also great and worth taking it in.

In Roatan we took in the Pirates, Birds and Monkey tour and it was the best tour we have been on, especially since we are non-swimmers. The monkeys do steal from you so make sure your hats are in your hand and there is nothing lose in your pockets. One monkey stole a cuban cigar from a guy's pocket and went up into his tree with it. He unwrapped it, took a bite and then threw it away. The same little rascal stole a girl's LSU hat and he promptly ran up in the tree with it but after a few minutes he threw it back down to her. I guess he wasn't an LSU fan like we are. Then another monkey, must have been a male :p , was seen placing his hand in a girls blouse :eek: . We have no idea what he was looking for down there, or do we? :rolleyes: This is one tour that is not to be missed.

I found downtown Progreso to be scary. 90% of the people spoke no English and the other 10% was so limited in their English skills it was hard to do business with them.

OH - YES we did have lobster on Thursday night. My sister and I ate somewhere else that night but talking to other people we found out that the lobsters were tasty and plentiful.

Windjammer was OK - we ate there several times but it wasn't our favorite. You will have to make up your own minds about whether or not you like the food. I can say the french fries in the WJ were good.

I'll check back later to see if anyone has any questions. Excuse my errors, I'm at work and do not have time to proof this since my coffee break if now over with.

what other types of shore excursions did you do? Did you have any experiences to share about the Spa?

We only did that one tour because my sister and I wanted to buy jewelry this trip. Our friends did the zip-line and loved it. They calling it a "natural high" and recommends it to anyone not afraid of heights. While in Progreso we had other friends who went to Medina (Spelling??) for the beach break tour and are still talking about it. They compare the sand to baby powder. They were treated to bar-b-que and drinks and told me that they loved the banana boat rides.

We didn't use the spa but our same friends had massages and facials and if you aren't bothered by the high sale tactics some of the ladies use you will probably love getting at least one massage there.

Thank you for the review. We will be going March 23rd, and I was wondering which nights were formal nights? We also want to eat at Portofino's, but I don't want to do it on either of the formal nights, and I would like to make those reservations when we first board. Glad to hear that they still have lobster night.

Thanks for the great reveiw.

I have a question for you....Is Johhny Rockets all you can eat for a specific price. Or it is that price per item?

For instance can I have a BLT and a burger and onion rings for the same cover price??

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Thanks for the great reveiw.

I have a question for you....Is Johhny Rockets all you can eat for a specific price. Or it is that price per item?

For instance can I have a BLT and a burger and onion rings for the same cover price??

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Yes' date=' you can order several items. There is a charge for milk shakes, and for sodas if you don't have a soda sticker.[/color']

My son just got back from the Voyager the week before you sailed and they had Ziggy also. He and his friends were in the Grand Suite as well and he raved about Ziggy and Martin, the concierge.

Sounds like you had a great time! We have to wait until April, but we'll make up for lost time when we get there!:D

I found downtown Progreso to be scary. 90% of the people spoke no English and the other 10% was so limited in their English skills it was hard to do business with them.

Really? Scary? Just because they didn't speak English? We walked ALL over town! We needed to buy another memory stick for our camera and kept showing it to people and asking where we could buy one. They'd say go this way and that way (getting the point across mostly by pointing), but when we'd get there, they didn't have them. We finally found a place that did, and were able to purchase one with no problem, inspite of the language differences. At no time did we ever feel afraid. People were just going about their daily business and really just ignored us unless we spoke to them. Now closer to the pier where there were more "tourist" vendors, they would "hawk" at you a little, but just a couple of blocks away there was none of that and it was great.

Also just back from the Jan 13th sailing. We had a great time overall. We flew into Houston and stayed the night before on Galveston island at the Baymont which was fine for the price. It had free internet and continental breakfast. We arrived early at the Cruise terminal and did have to wait a couple hrs because the ship was late getting in and they had the media day thing going on.

Monday was a cold and wet sea day which was no big deal. Tuesday was Cozumel and the sun came out. We spent the day at the Chankannba (spelling) park which our snorkelers said was so-so. I was just happy to be out in the warmth and sun. The next port, Roatan was very nice. We went to the West Bay resort called mayan Princess. It had a nice beach and pool complex along with a beach rest/bar. We paid 10$ a person to get in and it was a 15$ a person cab ride from the dock. We didn't do much at Progresso other than shop at the flea market close to the end of the long pier.

The ship was in great shape, the dining was great at the Windjammer with lot's of variety. The nightly dinners, main sitting was just ok. Our waiter and asst did fine but some of the food left something to be desired. Some of the food was cold, steak was loaded with grstle etc. The starters were my favorite part of the meal, I should have stopped there ! The entertainment was very good. We enjoyed the Johnny Cash/Patsy Cline night as well as Los Pampos Gauchos and the illusionist. We attended the karaoke competitions at Cleopatras and the finale at Studio B. While there were technical problems with the equipment, the singers were great. The Cruise Director was hilarious, his quick wit and frequent presence added to the cruise for sure. I would reccomend the Voyager to anyone that has the time and funds available. Let me know if you have any questions

Archived