Advice on cruise/air for large group

CruisinMermaid

Do you think it would be better to arrange your air through the cruise lines or to try and book through the airlines? I'm trying to arrange a group cruise for about 20 people from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale on the Navigator of the Seas. Would it be too confusing to do everything separately?

Contact all of the major airlines (including Southwest) and ask for a group sales department. Get a group rate quote for the air travel. They will likely want all to travel on the same flight (or possibly on two) and will want one payment (not from each individual traveler). You should also look into a charter bus/mini-bus at FLL.

Group rates can be quite attractive - be sure to shop around and confirm all of the "fine print", including info on cancellations and name changes.

Personally, I'd never trust a group to a sea/air department. You could easily have 20 different flight itineraries for the 20 people, depending on what the cruiseline has available in their allocations from SAN to FLL.

I just did that! I went directly to Air New Zealand for our 18 people and basically got the fare at half price and seats assigned the way I wanted them in the preferred seating area. They also let us each pay individually so one person (ME!) was not responsible for collecting the whole amount. It was a great experience and kick myself for never doing it before.

Archived