First Cunard Trip in the Plans

Cunard_Dreamer

Well...

There are plans for us to go sometime in the future on one of the Cunard Ships... in my mind some of the most beautiful ships in the world... Of course I feel like I am preaching to the choir, and well... this will be my first cruise that I will fully remember.

I have been doing research, from reading all I can from Cunard's main website for us Americans, to geting a packet of information about Transatlantic crossings, but after looking over the site, I realized that what better way to prepare oneself for what I consider going to be one of my highlights of my life, then to talk to those that have been on the Queens in person.

SO.... what do I need to do to prepare myself? Pack? Be ready for when I am onboard, and just words of advice and warnings if there are any out there.

I would really like to know and have some help.

Thank you in Advance.

Cunard_Dreamer.

SO.... what do I need to do to prepare myself? Pack? Be ready for when I am onboard, and just words of advice and warnings if there are any out there. I would really like to know and have some help. Thank you in Advance. Cunard_Dreamer.

Welcome, you've come to the right place, and many, many people will give you lots of help and advice. You could start by reading the following written by Patwell (Penny). It's superbly written.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

And my own little bit of work

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Have a great time and let us know what you book.

Thank you for the information, this is a lot of information that is so far very knowledgable and I am enjoying what I am learning.

Thank you again.

But I am wondering, what should I pack? Since I have not gone on a cruise, and the first and only time, my mom packed for me... I do not know what to bring... I am still looking at all the reviews, but I would like a little help here.

Cunard Dreamer, welcome to the Cruise Critic and the Cunard board. You have come to the right place to get information.

Perhaps if you told us a little more about yourself, we could help you more. Are you considering a Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic or another voyage? What ship are you considering? When do you hope to go? Are you male or female? Give us a little more information.

If you answer these questions, we can help you with packing suggestions. If you have been reading the Cunard board on Cruise Critic, I am assuming you know that Cunard is more formal than some of the other cruiselines.

Yes, you are preaching to the choir, as most of us on these boards love Cunard and are excited to share that love with others. So let us know what else you would like to know and we will try to help you.

Pepper has given you links to some excellent reviews of the QM2.

Again, welcome.

Beth

Cunard Dreamer, welcome to the Cruise Critic and the Cunard board. You have come to the right place to get information.

Perhaps if you told us a little more about yourself, we could help you more. Are you considering a Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic or another voyage? What ship are you considering? When do you hope to go? Are you male or female? Give us a little more information.

If you answer these questions, we can help you with packing suggestions. If you have been reading the Cunard board on Cruise Critic, I am assuming you know that Cunard is more formal than some of the other cruiselines.

Yes, you are preaching to the choir, as most of us on these boards love Cunard and are excited to share that love with others. So let us know what else you would like to know and we will try to help you.

Pepper has given you links to some excellent reviews of the QM2.

Again, welcome.

Beth

Okay.

First off, I know the formal wants of the Cunard lines, that is why I am picking them for my first cruise of my adult life. I love the history connected to Cunard, and it might have to do with that they bought out the White Star Line, which happened to contain my favorite three ships of all time, with the Queen Mary 2 coming into that bracket as I read more and more about her.

I am a male, so I know I will at least need a suit. I also plan on going during January, not this month, but next year roughly. I also want to go on the QM2.

I also plan on taking the Transatlantic trip, between New York and Southampton, I am a ship historian, and my one regret is that I live in the age of airplanes.

Okay.

First off, I know the formal wants of the Cunard lines, that is why I am picking them for my first cruise of my adult life. I love the history connected to Cunard, and it might have to do with that they bought out the White Star Line, which happened to contain my favorite three ships of all time, with the Queen Mary 2 coming into that bracket as I read more and more about her.

I am a male, so I know I will at least need a suit. I also plan on going during January, not this month, but next year roughly. I also want to go on the QM2.

I also plan on taking the Transatlantic trip, between New York and Southampton, I am a ship historian, and my one regret is that I live in the age of airplanes.

Well, Cunard Dreamer, it seems like Cunard ships are the perfect choice for you. I am going to guess that you are a "young" man. For the formal nights you will need a suit or a tuxedo. Since you have time to plan your voyage, I would suggest that you look for a tuxedo. With your love of Cunard history, I think you would really feel special wearing a tuxedo on your "first adult" cruise. Check ebay, thrift stores, and sales at formal shops and department stores. You can often find great deals on tuxedos.

What should you pack? Since you plan to go on the QM2 in January 2009, I am going to assume you are going to take a Caribbean cruise. You know what you need for formal nights. You will also have semi-formal (informal) nights and elegant casual nights. You will need a jacket every night. You will need a tie for the semi-formal nights. Many men traveling on Cunard chose a suit for the informal nights, but a blazer or jacket with a tie is also fine. Cruises to the Caribbean are fairly casual during the day. You would take the same type clothing you would take if you were going to visit one of the islands - bathing suits, shorts, docker type pants and shirts.

Continue to read the posts on the Cunard forum and you will learn so much about Cunard and the QM2 as well as the other Cunard ships. You will probably have additional questions as you prepare for your cruise. Please ask.

Beth

Thank you for the advice, and I will begin my packing list, but I got to take care of other tasks as well.

But thank you for the help. I look forward to getting to see the QM2 in person.

But at the same time, my dream is to go on a Transatlantic trip.

You are absolutely right. The way to see QM2 at her best is to do an atlantic crossing, preferably westbound, so that you get 25 hour days.

This is an experience without compare. You will arrive back in New York relaxed and utterly thrilled. Jane

First off,

I apologies for the double posts, it is just a computer glitch I hope.

But thank you for the advice and I will look into it, but if it happens to be I go to the Caribiean, I will not complain, because I will be on the Queen Mary 2.

But yes, I hope to have a westbound crossing, most likely after an Eastbound crossing, because, I do not like the sapce allowed on planes, they are rather cramped.

But money might dictate that I fly either at the beginning or end of my voyage.

And I am now looking forward to trying to start getting my ducks in order.

I have some questions that I would like to ask the group as well.

You see I have found a few sites that are offering discount prices for cabins, and other deals. I am wondering, can I trust them? Are they trustworthy? Are there any Gimicks or Catches? How about times? Are they last minute tickets? or can you choose your date?

Also, I am curious about the CC meets, do they happen at every cruise? Or just certain ones in the year?

How about Boarding and Departing? How hectic is it really? Is it tough? Or a breeze? What happens to the lagguage that you leave out the night before?

I have a few ship board questions, since I might be like Penny and try to spend time in the Logo shop, What is offered there? what can I expect as prices?

How about the Book Store? Any books on Cunard's 187 year history? Or other ships? What exactly is offered in the book store? (I like to price hunt for good deals.)

I apologies for the double post, but I just wanted these Questions to be seen.

"You see I have found a few sites that are offering discount prices for cabins, and other deals. I am wondering, can I trust them? Are they trustworthy? Are there any Gimicks or Catches? How about times? Are they last minute tickets? or can you choose your date?"

Never used sites to book, I found a really good TA who only book cruises, they get the best deals from the various lines, get me discounts, know the ships, and how to arrange everything. I like to deal with a face, not a call centre or a web page. It's called service.

"Also, I am curious about the CC meets, do they happen at every cruise? Or just certain ones in the year?"

That really depends on the number of CCers on the ship. On my first crossing there were only a handful of us and we met in one of the cabins. On my last voyage there were many of us and we met in the Commodore Club.

"How about Boarding and Departing? How hectic is it really? Is it tough? Or a breeze? What happens to the lagguage that you leave out the night before?"

Get there as early as possible (typically 1130-1200) and after a short wait you'll be the first to board, no fuss, no trouble. Just a little wait. Then, when everyone else (except the grills) is pushing and shoving you can be aboard, having lunch and a good explore. Your luggage is gathered up, and taken down to deck 1 ready for the following morning's arrival in port.

"I have a few ship board questions, since I might be like Penny and try to spend time in the Logo shop, What is offered there? what can I expect as prices?"

If you read both my and Penny's reviews, we mention the sort of thing you will find. Prices are (from a UK viewpoint) average, not cheap but where else are you going to find this stuff easily?

"How about the Book Store? Any books on Cunard's 187 year history? Or other ships? What exactly is offered in the book store? (I like to price hunt for good deals.)"

Loads of books about ships, Cunard, and many other choices beside. What will be there will depend on what books are published of course. Just as with the Logo shop, they get different stock in, each time I see new items. Prices are similar to high street it seemed to me.

My advice would be to find someone to go with you (if you haven't already) as this will make the trip a lot cheaper, then book, board and explore, and leave something to get excited about and be surprised by!

Let us know what you book and, when you get back, write a review!

I have some questions that I would like to ask the group as well.

You see I have found a few sites that are offering discount prices for cabins, and other deals. I am wondering, can I trust them? Are they trustworthy? Are there any Gimicks or Catches? How about times? Are they last minute tickets? or can you choose your date?

I've used web sites for most of my cruises and snagged some very good deals. Not all of the sites offer the same deals, so you need to shop around -- I've used four different sites and have not encountered any problems. I just booked a QM2 cruise last week, and the quotes I received for the same cabin varied by $400 pp depending on the agency! The deposit you pay is processed by the cruise line itself (my cc shows a transaction from Cunard, not the agency).

Yes you can pick the date, the cabin, the meal seating, etc (depending on availability). Although most of the bargains are on the near-future cruises, you can still get a good deal on a cruise further out.

Several of the agencies have e-mailing lists -- sign up for a couple of them and you can see what specials they're offering -- doesn't hurt to look!

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Yes I have someone that will be coming with me, and I will look into both a TA along with some sites.

PDAZ, What are some of the sites that you watch? I myself have never booked a cruise in my life, and so, I am a complete greenhorn at this, so if you could help with some of that, it would be of great help.

Dreamer:

My friend and I just came back from our first QM2, a 10 day Caribb. It was heavenly (we were in an A1, brittania dining). I brought too many clothes.

DO invest in a nice tuxedo and new shoes, so you can feel a part of the glamour of formal nights. Once you've been pampered (And you will be), you'll feel the part too.

We even brought Pirate costumes to wear for the Buccaneer's Ball. Of course it was silly, but the photographs and the fun was priceless. And we got voucher-tickets that we could trade for souvenirs !!

Try everything you can. QM2 is a banquet to be enjoyed. Try something you've never tried before. You'll find it, I expect, exceptionally pleasant.

If you can't decide between menu items, order both.

It's a pity you can't be in two places at once to enjoy all the entertainment!

I brought a power-strip for all our devices (computer, camera, shaver).

Take a dress shirt for every evening, and a sport shirt for every 2 days. If you go transatlantic, and want to walk on deck, you'll need warm clothes, sweaters etc.

search online for "what to pack for a cruise" if you want an itemized list.

I deliberately left all my jeans at home, since I wasn't going to be doing yard work. If you are truly clueless about these things, by all means have a stylish friend look at your closet and your itinerary and plan what you will wear. I did.

In your pre-boarding documents you will find out how many nights are formal, etc.

The suggested dress code really only applies at Dinner in the Dining rooms. Follow the suggestions, and you'll have a great time.

The restaurants in Kings Court have a much more relaxed air about them, but they are for the most part cafeteria-style.

and the Golden Lion Pub is similarly casual. I really enjoyed the Golden Lion for lunch. And Trivia. And Karaoke.

Todd English wasn't as good as Brittania, frankly.

More suggestions

If your luggage is all-black, tie some ribbon of several colors around the handles. After you disembark, you will have to find it yourself among a sea of black luggage, (and to discourage others from mistaking it as their own).

If you're taking more suitcases than you can carry, hire a car to meet you at disembarkation.

I wouldn't worry about leaving the luggage outside the stateroom, although you should always carry necessities (medicine, passport, tickets, money, keys) on your person. Also, when you book, you'll get embarkation tags with your name on them. Leave them on the luggage so when you disembark, you'll have another easy way to see what's yours.

Your stateroom has a safe. Use it. You can 'punch in' your own 4 number combination, and it locks up tight. It was very comforting to know the safe shuts tightly. Indeed, if you hesitate when entering your combination, it will lock up EVEN ON YOU, and you call the Purser and they send a gal round to re-set it. Just one less thing to worry about.

There's an allowance you pay for service; it's included in the price. But I took along extra cash for good service, and I'm glad I did. Some of the staff aboard QM2 are really superior, and I wanted to tip them 'for the extra mile.'

May all your Cunard Dreams come true !!!

Dreamer:

My friend and I just came back from our first QM2, a 10 day Caribb. It was heavenly (we were in an A1, brittania dining). I brought too many clothes.

May all your Cunard Dreams come true !!!

This is one of the best posts I have EVER seen!

It says all of the things that many of us try to say in a non-threatening, non-insulting manner which does not come across as either snobbish or as if you are scolding a child or an idiot. It is upbeat, positive, and recognizes not all people are blessed with sense of style.

What a refreshing post!

Thanks GW (I'm assuming you are named after the first president, not the current one! <G>). I'll bet you had a fabulous time, and would anywhere, under even the most trying circumstances!

I hope I share a ship with you at some point in the future!

Karie

DO invest in a nice tuxedo and new shoes, so you can feel a part of the glamour of formal nights. Once you've been pampered (And you will be), you'll feel the part too.

I would certainly agree. Hire on board is available, but of course you will not know how well it will fit until too late. Also it is fairly expensive, and certainly as much as a cheap dress suit.

We even brought Pirate costumes to wear for the Buccaneer's Ball. Of course it was silly, but the photographs and the fun was priceless. And we got voucher-tickets that we could trade for souvenirs !!

This wouldn't be the case on a transatlantic, which is a more sober type of voyage. However, each to his own.

If you can't decide between menu items, order both.

Seems hugely greedy to me. Still, people do it. The only time in all my time on Cunard I've done anything like this was to have the lobster and steak as a quasi "surf and turf", but this was still one plate.

Take a dress shirt for every evening, and a sport shirt for every 2 days. If you go transatlantic, and want to walk on deck, you'll need warm clothes, sweaters etc.

Given the price of a decent dress shirt (isn't it a "tux shirt" in America?) you may want to consider using the laundry. It is perfectly possible to do a transatlantic with only one dress shirt - although you'll need a normal business type shirt for the Semi-Formal and Elegant Casual nights.

I deliberately left all my jeans at home, since I wasn't going to be doing yard work. If you are truly clueless about these things, by all means have a stylish friend look at your closet and your itinerary and plan what you will wear. I did.

Nothing wrong with clean new jeans. For the DAY of course!!!!

In your pre-boarding documents you will find out how many nights are formal, etc.

Take this with a pinch of salt. Both my last transatlantics had "0" for each. A nudist crossing?????

Cunard also change them on cruises. Crossings are pretty much fixed to two Elegant Casual, three Formal and a Semi-Formal.

The suggested dress code really only applies at Dinner in the Dining rooms.

Not according to the daily programme, and common decency. Regard it as ship-wide (other than Kings Court) from 6pm onwards until bedtime.

The OP mentions doing New York to Southampton - and only Southampton to New York as a return. Please, if you are to fly, fly to England and take the ship to New York. A westbound is a much nicer trip than an eastbound! Remember it is 23 hours a day for eastbound, and 25 a day for westbound.

Matthew

What are some of the sites that you watch? I myself have never booked a cruise in my life, and so, I am a complete greenhorn at this, so if you could help with some of that, it would be of great help.

Hi Cunard Dreamer. Do you mind sharing your first name?

We are not allowed to recommend specific travel agents or agencies on Cruise Critic. However, if you go to the top of the website, you will see a link to "cruise agencies". There are quite a few listed. When you decide which voyage you want to book, I would call several of them and speak with agents and get quotes. Since this is your first cruise, I would only use an agency that has a phone number listed. Your conversation with the agent is very important. You want to deal with someone who is very knowledgeable and is willing to answer all your questions. I would ask the agent how long they have worked with the company. I would ask how many Cunard cruises they have booked. I would ask, if you have additional questions after the cruise is booked, will you continue to speak with that agent or will you be speaking with a customer service department. You also want to ask if there is a cancellation fee for a booking if it is canceled before the final payment date. I believe you stated that you got your Cunard brochure from a local agency. I would also go back to them and ask the same questions and get a quote from them. Since this is your first cruise, you might be more comfortable dealing with a local agency even if the price is slightly higher. When you make your calls, keep a list of each agency and the name of the person with whom you spoke. You are very wise to start planning your first cruise a year before the date you wish to sail and to try to get as much information as possible.

Beth

Hi dreamer,

I think if you read and take note of the things that pepperrn , patwell , kindlychap and imacruiser, you have a wonderful, I have met 3 out of 4 and you never one day might even meet up with the amazing kindlychap:p who can say.

The main thing is that a transatlanic is something very special and to do it on a cunard ship is the only way to cross, as martyn will confirm LOL, I would say 100% buy a tux and then you can use it again and again , and belive or not there other times on land that people use them, not nearly enough, but it happens.

ask your questions and you will get very good answers from this board, if at times a tongue in cheek:)

I like to book with people I have used before, BUT I have just booked on line through a USA TA adversised on this site and got the best discounts ever, I still cant belive my luck.

rob

Whilst we can't recommend travel agents on this board, I do not think that there is any rule against recommendations being made by email.

If you want to email me then I'll give you details of an agent who more than meets every requirement that Rob says.

If you're looking at history, don't forget that the magnificent RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 will soon be no more. However magnificent the Queen Mary is (and she is, no doubt), she'll be here for years.

Matthew

IA westbound is a much nicer trip than an eastbound! Remember it is 23 hours a day for eastbound, and 25 a day for westbound.

I read on another board how in the 1950s when the Queen Mary & Queen Elizabeth were running the weekly ferry service some people fell to chatting about which ship they preferred. One American matron decidedly preferred the Queen Mary - because you got 25 hour days on her, while only 23 hour days on the Queen Elizabeth!

Peter

I read on another board how in the 1950s when the Queen Mary & Queen Elizabeth were running the weekly ferry service some people fell to chatting about which ship they preferred. One American matron decidedly preferred the Queen Mary - because you got 25 hour days on her, while only 23 hour days on the Queen Elizabeth!

Peter

It had to be an American, didn't it?:D ;)

Lovely story though.

Matthew

Archived