Jack's Shack and Town Report

legalwife

best to reserve golf carts ahead. pick up is right outside the cruise center gate about 500 foot walk. if you ask gate guard nicely he will probably allow you back into the cruise center to pick up your mother. Carts hold two sitting forward and two sitting backwards. easy to drive and sitesee the whole island. stop at jack's shack on the way back. there is a small sign just opposite the power plant on the hill just before you reach back to the cruise terminal. take the roadway down towards the beach to the back of jack's shack and walk out to the beach the shack is on the deck in front of the dive shop.

How much does a golf cart rental go for? Do they accept credit card or cash only?

Thanks,

Freddie

How much does a golf cart rental go for? Do they accept credit card or cash only?

Thanks,

Freddie

I believe there are a couple (or even several) threads about renting the golf carts. You can probably find that info there, rather than your questions being burried in a thread about Jack's Shack.

Hi I communicated with the golf cart people and they told me it was $80 for the day it holds up to 4 people and they want it returned with at least half a tank of gas.

Hope this helps

Jeff

We just rented the golf carts and loved it. Make sure to reserve and pay they don't have that many at the gate. When we got there he only had one golf cart left, he rented us his jeep, and we rented 2 scooters. We followed each other down the road. Me, the wife, my Mom and her nurse, my 3 brothers, and wifes. My Mom is 79 and confined to a wheel chair. We picked her up and put her in the back bench seat and strapped her in. She loved it. I went everywhere. After all it is a golf cart. Down by the light house there is a dirt road that goes down to the beach. My Mom was bouncing all over looked like a bobble head, but she loved it. She usually doesn't get off the ship. We rented snorkeling gear at a beach and I pulled the cart up under a tree where she could see the surf and she loved it. I will definitely do it again. They do not let golf carts in the parking lot of the cruise center, so we had to shlep both ways. We left her wheel chair with the golf cart guy. He didn't care about gas. We did give him $10 for gas for his jeep.

I just got back from a singles trip on the Carnival Glory 3/18. 60+/- of us bypassed Margaritaville and headed down to the Shack. Granted we should have told Jack we were coming but he and his wife did a bang up job on serving us drinks and awesome jerked chicken. Now that chicken definitely had spice and the best I have had in the islands. The drinks were awesome and Jack was generous.

So, if you are in port..turn left off the dock and just follow the beach aways..look for the dive flag.

We had a blast even in the rain.

Kathy

Ok, so that picture of you all with your ship in the background is hands down the BEST picture!!!

We will be in GT in October on the Miracle.. already planning on walkin past Margaritaville and heading to Jacks....got our names on the list for the 'free rum' and everything! We will be traveling with our girls on their first ever cruise, and you've just given me the ULTIMATE background idea for their picture!!

If you want less crowd, great food (try the Jerk Chicken with the sauce...too yummy), and better priced drinks than Margaritaville make sure that you walk down the beach to Jack's Shack. You can walk down the road, but much easier and quicker to walk down the beach. For those that are having a hard time finding it....while at Margaritaville stand and look at the ocean and head right. You will see some dive boats as well as snorkeling boats.

It is nothing fancy, but great people, excellent service, and no huge organized fun like you find at all the large ports.....(think of Sr Frogs, Carlos n Charlies and M-ville) If you are looking for a local flavor from some really smart Bostonians who headed to the islands....well you have found your spot there!

Enjoy.....wish I were back there once again!

We just got off the Glory, and Jack's Shack was one of our stops. Fantastic place, fantastic people! We had no desire to do the Margaritaville thing, so this was just what we wanted. If we hadn't already rented a cart from Nathan, we would have stayed all day.

One thing I hope Janet can comment on is the condition of some of the beaches on the island. The one in front of Jack's Shack was extremely clean, as was the one at the Cruise Center, but one of the things that we found so disappointing was the amount of trash we saw on some of the more secluded ones. In fact, at the end of one dirt road, it looked like people were using it as a garbage dump. Others had less trash, but they were still pretty bad, with lots of used condoms scattered around. Is the local government not doing anything to clean them up?

Going to send in my "free rum" coupon. I'll be there on Thursday, 5/27, on Carnival Fantasy.

We're only in port from noon-7pm. I'm off to do the Horseback Ride & Swim (for the 4th time!) from 12:30-2:30 and plan on walking down to Jack's after I return. Hmmm. Maybe I should change so I don't smell like wet horse! :p

Sailing solo this time as my poor DD is in grad school and has to work.

Looking forward to seeing The Shack. I've heard great things and have been meaning to get there the past couple of times we've called in Grand Turk and just didn't get to it.

We enjoyed Jack's Shack very much. It is a quiet and scenic spot. We met Janet and Jack and enjoyed their company and would highly recommend bypassing Margaritaville and enjoy their beach and bar. We were gvien free loungers as long as we stayed on their beach. Prob. umbrella as well, but we did not need it. We just tipped the boy that set up the loungers. The drinks were very good and so was the jerked chicken. We have been to Grand Turk several times now and will bypass the over-priced Margaritaville everytime and walk the 1/4 mile or so to Jack's Shack. We had a lovely time.

Yeah, I went to Margaritaville on my first visit and ate. Didn't use the pool. It was packed, loud, and just not my idea of a good time. I cruise to relax, not eat and drink in chain restuarants/bars!

Have avoided it since, which is why I'd hoped to get to Jack's in the past. Ended up doing things and just never found the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Jack's Shack sounds like my kind of place - quiet, uncrowded beach! Can you advise what other faciilities they have? (washrooms, shower? in addition to the food/drinks?). I will definitely need an umbrella :D

Also would love to know how to get there? (how far a walk?) - guess it depends on how hot it is that day and how many other ships in port - on my last visit to GT we had a lovely time just hanging out at the pier beach and using the pool as well!

Joan - would love to know what you thought of it!

Jack's Shack sounds like my kind of place - quiet, uncrowded beach! Can you advise what other faciilities they have? (washrooms, shower? in addition to the food/drinks?). I will definitely need an umbrella :D

Hi there,

I see we are researching some of the same ports. Go over to our old thread so we can compare notes. :)

My family will be in Grand Turk next Thursday June 3rd. We were wondering what the legal drinking age is on the island and whether or not it is enforced. We will be with our parents and my sister and I are 20 and 18. None of us are huge drinkers but we were wondering if we would be able to have any drinks with our parents at Jacks. Either way we plan on stopping by and checking it out! Thanks

We have about 600 foot of sandy beach so you can have a safe spot away from the bar for kids to swim. We have floats, life jackets, and snorkels for kids. Topher loves kids and will play gently with them when he is not learning how to open bottles of beer or operate the lime bomber.

I just can't stop laughing about this post. Thank you, my wife (Basketsuze) and I will surely see you in September.

• 2 weeks later...
The burgers and dogs are great and the drinks are cold and cheap. As one other poster stated, the ships crew hangs out there which says a lot about Jack and Janet.......If you want a quiet spot on the beach with good food and drinks at good prices and great hosts, then go to Jacks.

After seeing the 2010 prices, not sure that $5 beers are "cheap", sounds like cruise ship pricing to me. Of course, if the couple are as hospitable and everyone says, it may be worth a stop.

Have a great day all.

We were in Grand Turk last Fri, it was amazing and the best part of our GT day. My daughter had the best time with Topher, she loved swimming in the ocean with him and thought it was a hoot. We got burgers, hot dogs, jerk chicken and beers. Had a great time. My husband and son are still talking about the jerk chicken, the loved loved loved it. Got lots of photos there with Topher, the food, and family.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
OMG...everyone is making me hungry for Beer and Jerk Chicken!! I can't wait til April 2011 when the Carnival Destiny carries us to GT and Jack's shack! Also can't wait to meet Topher!

We plant to be there next Feburary so I'll let you know how it is! :D:D;)

Thanks Froufie...I can't wait to go to GT...it is the reason, well it and HMC, that I booked this B2B for our 30th anniversary.

That is so funny - cuz I also booked the b2b in February SPECIFICALLY for HMC (and of course GT as well).....will let you know how GREAT it was when I get back! Happy Anniversary! :D

• 2 weeks later...

ok....so the consensus is definitely that Jack's Shack is more relaxed and not chaos??? Which is good for me. When you get off of the pier and take a left, how far is it down?

Is there anything in GT to do besides, horseback riding on the beach? Seems like a CCL exclusive port since they are the only ones who has ships coming in.

Archived