Just Back from Millennium on Jan 20

normanb

We just got back from the Millennium on Sunday Jan 20th and wanted to post a few comments. Also, if anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them.

First a few thoughts on cruising. We had been on the Millennium in 2002 and had a fantastic trip. This time I was a little concerned because of the negative posts I read prior to the cruise. We have been crusing once or twice a year since 1992, and have been on most of the mainstream cruise lines. I have come to the conclusion that some posters have unrealistic expectations, or just like to complain. Since we began cruising in 1992 the price has gone down. In order to keep the cruise fares low, the mainstream cruise lines have made cut backs in some areas, and have institued an additional charge for some things. I understand that and accept it. People need to have reasonable expectations of what to expect for their money. If you want "Ritz Carlton", or "5 Diamond Service" then sail on an upscale cruise line and pay that fare. By sailing on the mainstream cruise lines I expect the experience to be similar to staying at a "Marriott". I have found that most of the mainstream lines do provide that experience, with somethings better or worse depending on the ship.

That said, here is my impression of the Millennium. We were very happy with the Millennium, the service, the food, and the cruise in general.

The ship was clean and in pretty good shape. It could use some refurbishment here and there, but there was nothing needed that would ruin my cruise.

Embarkation: It was a breeze. We arrived at noon and were on-board in 20 minutes. There were plenty of check-in lines and there were moving fine.

Cabin: We had a Cat. 2C Balcony Cabin on deck 6. We had 2 adults and 2 children (ages 6 & 9) in the cabin. It was a little small but we managed fine. The cabin attendat was great. He kept it clean and gave us everything we needed, even iced down our wine and soda daily.

Food & Service: Before I talk about this area let me just mention expectations again. You can't compare the food and service in the ship's dining room to an individual land-based restaurant that serves meals "cooked to order". You are sitting down to dinner with 800 other people at the same time, so you should compare the experience to that of a wedding or large banquet served at the "Marriott" or other facility. That said, the food and service in the dining room was excellent! In fact, it was probably better than some land-based, "cook to order" restaurants. In 2007 we went on three cruises on other lines and the food on the Millennium was definitly better. The steaks are thicker, the pasta seemed fresher, etc. (The service on the other lines was just as good as the Millennium. On all lines it just depends on who you get for a waiter and assistant.) The buffet was also very good, food fresh and many choices.

Ports: All of the ports are fine. We usually look for beaches or watersports. Some people complain about the ports, but you must remember that most caribbean islands are poor or less fortunate than the US. I expect those conditions when we travel to the islands and act appropriately. We are not "shoppers" I can't comment about that. (On these boards a lot of people complain about stoppping in Jamaica. We've been there on several cruises and always have found fun things to do, even with the kids.)

Disembarkation: We are Elite Members and found the disembarkation the most organized we've ever had. They did not announce the Tag Colors over the PA System. We went to the Rendevouze Lounge (for our color) and they made an announcement there. We walked right off the ship (around 9am). There were not a lot of people waiting on the stairs or hallways. The main lobby was also quite clear. Our color tags were probably right in the middle of the disembarkation list.

If any one has any questions I would be gald to answer them if I can.

Thanks for posting your thoughts! We will be sailing in a few weeks with my daughter who is 8 and I was interested in hearing about the childrens club and activities and also about what you did while in port. We are interested in active/beach type of activities. Did your kids enjoy Celebrity? How did they feel it compared to some of the other lines?

Glad you enjoyed your cruise on the beautiful Millennium. I also agree with your comments about unrealistic expectations. We were on the Millennium this past February and were very pleased with everything from accomodations to food and service.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and sharing your experience. The latest reviews support your position regarding expectations and attitude.

We're perfectly happy with the 'Marriott' price and experience for our extended family get-together cruise. Thanks to informed reviews like yours we continue to anticipate our April Millie cruise with baited breath.

Happy cruising!

Denise

Preb, Here is some info on the children's program. Club X is held in the Fun Factory for ages 3-6 and 7-9. On our sailing there were only 42 kids on the ship and both age groups were together. There was never more than 12 to 15 kids in the program, usually less, and 6 were from our group. ( Three families with each having a 6 year old and 9 year old ).The program was open from 9am till 1 am everyday. If you wanted the kids to have lunch or dinner with the staff it was $6 per child for each meal, except sea days. The dining was complementry on those days. Also, the evening slumber party, 10pm till 1am, was $6 per child. The kids loved the program. I think that RCI's Adventure Ocean is a little more active, but the kids didn't care. Also, the program was open for the kids on embarkation day at 7pm. Prior to going on the cruise posters on this site said that it wasn't open, but that is not the case.

As far as shore trips, we went to Cane Garden Beach in Tortola, by taxi ($6 pp ea way), with the kids. There was water sports and restaurants. In Casa De Campo we went to the public beach, BayaHibe, by taxi ($55 per 4 people roundtrip, including 2hrs waiting time). No public bathrooms or restaurants, so I wouldn't do that again. The ship went to a resort right next door and it had a lot of ameneties. The last stop was Labadee, that is RCI's Private Resort and it has a splash park (free), a water slide ($15 pp-per day), and a water park ($20 pp-per hour).

Feel free to ask ant other questions.

Thanks, normanb, for your ideas. Did you do anything interesting in San Juan? Also, do you remember the name of the resort in Casa De Campo by any chance? How did your kids like the food onboard? Did they go to any of the shows?

Thanks so much normanb for your review. We leave on the same cruise February 2nd, and had some concerns regarding the other negative postings about the ship and service. You sure have cleared that up. Thanks again. I can only think of one question now, that is the number of informal nights that you had. Some people are saying 2 (as in the info we received), others said it was only one.

Sure hope you post additional information as you might recall it. Very interesting and informative post.

Thanks

There is only 1 Informal Night. That is Wednesday, Tortola. There are two Formal Nights. The first is Monday, a sea day, the second was Thursday, Casa De Campo. The other nights were casual. A woman posted menues, kid menues, and the Celebrity Today from one of the December Sailings. If you search this board you should find it. The only difference was that the formal nights were changed.

There is plenty of food for the kids. They have a pizza station, a pasta station, and a hot dog/hamburgh station in addition the regular buffet. They were open from early afternoon into the evening. Our kids only went to the dining room for breakfast (they liked it). The resort at Bayahibe Beach is called Casa Del Mar. I also spoke to the Conciege on the ship. She stated that the actual Resort Casa De Campo has day passes based on availability(that is not where the ship's tour goes, you have to do that through the Concierge). Bayahibe is about 30 min away, Casa De Campo Resort is 10 min.

$55 for four people is not bad I suppose to the beach. We must have misunderstood the driver who told us the price. We thought it was more. Even still, $55 for two people for two hours isn't exactly a deal. We should've tried to share a cab with another couple. Oh well - next time :)

More information about the kids dinners please. Do they have them every night or just select nights. We will be traveling with my 9 and 10 year old grandchildren and would like to find a night when we can go ahead and make reservations for the Olympic restaurant and know that the children will have an opportunity to go to dinner with other kids in the program.

I do not have any info on the 82 Cat Tour in Casa De Campo. I never spoke to any one.

On the Kids Dinner: The kids program free hours are roughly 9am to noon; 2pm to 5pm; and 7pm to 10pm. You can leave the kids in the program every day for lunch, noon to 2pm for $6 per child per hour (free on sea days I think). They do a kids dinner every day except embarkation day from 5 pm to 7pm (5 to 6 is free play time, and 6 to 7 is dinner at the buffet). Again the fee was $6 per child per hour. On sea days there was no charge.

We went to the Olympic on Wednesday. It was fantastic. It beats every other cruise line's private dining hands down. There is no comparision to RCI's. The Olympic dining was as nice as any land base restaurant we've tried. Most of our group is, or has been, in the hospitality industry so we are used to dining out. Most dishes are prepared "table side". All dishes are served simultaneously by three or four waiters.

Thanks so much for all your great information. It sure will enhance our cruise! Glad to hear there is only one informal night. How was your weather? We are coming from a very snowy, frigid cold place and looking forward to lots of sunshine and NO RAIN. But, I guess going to the rainforst in San Juan we will get a little bit. Hope to see temperatures in the high 80's.

We have never been to Tortola. Not beach people, and wondering if you might be able to provide a bit more information on things to do there, what the country is like, etc. Would be most helpful to us.

Thanks so much for all your postings!!!

The weather was hot and sunny the whole cruise. In fact the seas were the smoothest we've ever had. A little bit of rocking the first sea day, and after one of the ports, but real smoothe most of the time. There was a little rain during embarkation and disembarkation. The last sea day, Saturday, was very hot and sunny. It was not very windy either.

On Tortola we wnt to the beach so I don't have any other infor on the island. We don't shop or sightsee much, usually beach or watersports. The island is hilly, like St Thomas.

Also, we are thinking about Holland America for next January, pricing is very good. Any info on their Kids Program or how it compares? I'm going to post on HAL Board next.

Archived