Malaria meds needed?

ejmarf

Well, I just went on the western Caribbean cruise, and, no, I wouldn't take malaria meds in those areas. Wouldn't even dream of it. I travel often, and since malaria meds sometimes have serious side effects, I need to reserve them for when it's important. Check the CDC web site, but IMHO (and I'm not a doctor, just another traveler) the CDC site does seem to greatly over-estimate the risk of malaria. Also, you will be sleeping on the ship, so you are not at any risk of getting bitten by an infected mosquito at night because you lack proper netting or electricity to blow air over you. That's how most people seem to get malaria. At night.

There's a scare story on the CDC web site about a Louisiana man who nearly died of cerebral malaria. Please notice that he almost certainly acquired it while staying in a tent, in rural Haiti, without proper netting or spray, not in the touristy area of the Caribbean, where he had traveled safely many times without a problem.

Sleeping on a cruise ship over salt water with the sea breezes is a completely different risk than sleeping in a tent. So, no, I've never taken malaria pills to travel to Central America or Mexico. I would look at it differently if I were camping or going to a more remote area, but Cozumel? I just can't see it. Older people on multiple medications, who don't need to add unnecessary pills to the mix, travel safely to these destinations every day.

I didn't try the cave tubing, maybe next time.

<P>Thank you for the info... I prefer not to take any meds if not needed.  The more I thought about it, the more I have convinced myself it's not needed.  Thank you so much for your help in building my confidence.</P>

<P> </P>

Archived