Jost Van Dyke - Carnival Liberty

happy flamingo

Well it's a long time ago, but we were sailing round the Virgin Islands on a small yacht. All the islands are wonderful. Jost Van Dyke was so small, the Customs shed was just a hut. Can't remembe how far it is between the two, but you should be OK on a fast small boat.

I have been to Tortola and I briefly investigated going to Jost Van Dyke for the day. It just seemed to be too time-consuming and hassle for the short time we were in port. What we ended up doing was a private day sail with White Squall 2 (http://www.whitesquall2.com) . It was AMAZING. Captain Chris and his first mate Vanessa were outstanding hosts, and Vanessa was an even better snorkel guide. The snorkeling was the best I've ever seen, and the day was so relaxing. They also grilled our lunch onboard, which was also quite tasty. It leaves from the marina right by the cruise pier (walking distance), which saves $$ on taxi and also on time.

I would have to agree with jimbug. We, too, investigated going to JVD for the day. The arrival/ferry/departure times were not lining up very well and it would leave us with about 3 hours on JVD. Not exactly the relaxing day we were looking for. Plus, by the time we got to Tortola, we were really looking for some down time.

We ended up going to Cane Garden Bay and sitting in the water all afternoon. Beautiful beach if you are just looking to relax. I wish I could remember the name of the bar, but I think it was one of the first ones on the beach - ask for a Ricky and Lucy. It is some strange mix of bananas and 151 rum.

I agree. We went to Tortola this summer and I, too, wanted to visit JVD. Since our time was shortest in Tortola, it was going to be cutting it close and I was too scared to try it. We ended up going over to Virgin Gorda and seeing the Baths, and we loved it!

Good luck on your choice!

I went to Jost Van Dyke while stopped in Tortola. It was awesome. If you like a clean, quiet beach where there are no vendors asking to braid your hair and sell you trinkets, this is it. The beach is not crowded and the people are friendly. We took a cab to the ferry (check the schedule online). The ride to the ferry took 20-30 min. I think the cost if the cab was $6 or $7 a person. The Ferry took about the same amount of time. Once there you can walk to the beach or take a cab. We took the cab as it was a steep hill to the beach and my kids, 7-11, would just complain. There is a bar that sells food at the beach called the soggy dollar. The prices were reasonable and they take credit cards. If you have a full day in port I highly recommend Jost Van Dyke.

Archived