Rum Point 'getting there' options?

Yurita

Hi all,

I have a quick question. We are sailing in 3 months and would like to visit Rum Point, however, I would like to know what options do I have to get to Rum Point.

Most people say they rent a car, but I will not be doing that. I was wondering if there's public tranport to Rum point, or perhaps taxi or anything that could take us there. We just want to spend a whole day there, could anyone help me and let me know if you could take a taxi or bus to Rum point?

Options:

Taxi: Expect US$75 or more - each way. That's US$150 round trip. Or more. Taxis do not wait around looking for fares there. If you take a taxi, you would be well advised to pre-arrange your return trip. If you simply call for a taxi from a pay phone there, it will be about 45 minutes before the taxi can get there from town unless one happens to be closer.

Bus: does not normally go that far. The North Side route ends 4 miles short of Rum Point. Sometimes a driver can be paid a little extra to take you the additional distance. Again, you need to pre-arrange the return trip. Fare is US$5 per person plus any extra for the extra distance (another US$2 or so per person each way).

Go on a tour: Take a tour through a company that stops at Rum Point as one of the stops. These tours usually stop at the Stingray Sandbar.

Take the ferry: No longer an option. Many tales of the Rum Point ferry are still out there on the web, but it has not been in regular operation in more than 3 years.

Break down and rent a car. It is by far the most economical way and gives you the least chance of missing the last tender as you sit at Rum Point waiting for a cab.

Archived