A post-cruise 11:00 am flight from Seattle ?

bryanjaync

I am giving my parents who are in their late 70s, an Alaskan cruise on the Infinity from May 23-30. I booked the returned flight on USAirways (codeshare with United) for the return on the 30th for 11:00 am. All later flights were very long, with layovers. Now I am wondering if 11:00 is too early. My rationale for it being ok was 1) the Infinity is due to dock at 6:00 am, so I figured that was enough time to get the airport, 2) My parents last year with Celebrity did the airline check in while on board the Millie at the conceirrge desk, assuming the do that again, that will save airport time, 3) my parent are in the Conceirge Class, and are supposed to have preference / priority on disembarkation, so they should in theory be some of the first off the ship, 4) my understanding of Seattle, is that the pier is 12 miles/2o minutes from the SeaTac airport) 5)I am checking to see if Luggage Valet is available, and if it would be beneficial. FYI, I did buy them the Celebrity transfers from the ship to the airport. I could change their flight (at a cost) and they would be spending about three more hours in transit (arriving around 11:30 pm). BOTTOM LINE: Should I be worried about an 11:00 am flight for them after the cruise leaving from Seattle ? In advance thanks to everyone.

Although they'd be going against most commute traffic in Seattle, the traffic near the airport commute hours is bad everyway, everytime we've been there. If it's only twelve miles..it's a long twelve miles. and X docks near Pike's Place. If they have X transfers, I'm sure they'd make it, but just in case tell them to bring an overnight case.

I'm cruising at the same time as you (except on RCCL). There are 3 ships in Seattle that day. Plus there is apparently major construction going on at the airport. RCCL is not recommending any flights before noon and people that live in Seattle aren't recommending any flights before 1:30pm. I think your parents are really going to have problems making that flight. Plus if they miss it, they could be in big trouble trying to get on a later flight.

I would not plan on them being able to use the luggage valet program as that is usually only for flights after a certain time. With that early of a flight, they probably won't qualify to use it. Also, do not plan on them using transfers with that early of a flight. Usually with transfers you have to wait until the bus is full before it departs for the airport AND then wait for it to unload again once you get to the airport, which can add a lot of waiting. If you keep them on that flight, tell them to plan on using a taxi or have a private car waiting to drive them to the airport.

Short answer - 11:00am on a Friday is pretty aggressive for a flight out of Seatac on a workday.

It will probably be pretty stressful for your parents as they need a lot of things to go right in order for them to make that flight.

I think a later flight would be better - just my two cents.

Definitely don't do the transfers as you will lose time as another poster mentioned. Are your parents fit enough to carry off their own luggage? If so they can self-disembark and be the first group off - this might give them a chance. On some days an 11am flight might be fine; I did a HAL cruise in Seattle in May and had a 10:45am flight; I was at the airport by 8:15am. However that was on a weekend, the pier was not busy, and there was no significant construction going on, I did the self-disembark, and took a cab.

Hopefully you'll get a solution that works; it is a very thoughtful gift. Alaska is beautiful.

It is usually best to count backwards to see if you have enough time. For and 11 AM flight, you should be at the ariport at 9AM. Seattle is not the fastest ariport to get throuth all the security requirements. Two hours might be much more than enough in some circumstances but in other circumstances it is a real figure.

The ride from the pier to the airport can take as little as 20 minutes or as much as an hour (sometimes more if there is a bad accident)

How quickly will they be able to disembark and get a taxi? Those are the factors to consider.

An 11 AM flight SHOULD be OK, but ????????

Archived