Buckets Of Beer On Lido But Not In Sports Bar....should They Do This ????

jessemon

And of course most sports bars I have been to give you a discount on buying a bucket - perhaps by four get one free. Not true on Carnival (at least on my Freedom cruise 11/24/07) where the bucket only meant you paid for four beers all at the same time. I guess it is a timesaver but not worth it in my opinion.

you do save a little on a bucket. not a whole beer's worth, but you do save some.

i don't think the other bars have the buckets to give. cld they get them? sure, but they must not want to. i wld think one reason wld be that they don't want people walking around in interior spaces with buckets of ice.

Thanks for the info truecruiser. That savings may vary by ship. I saw many people buying buckets of four beers at the aft pool bar on Freedom and it was the same price as four beers purchased separately. In fact, that is how the bartender rang it up.

Thanks for the info truecruiser. That savings may vary by ship. I saw many people buying buckets of four beers at the aft pool bar on Freedom and it was the same price as four beers purchased separately. In fact, that is how the bartender rang it up.

welcome. here the prices we (and annother poster recently paid)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=12901677&postcount=5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=12901493&postcount=4

Interesting. It would appear that some folks were overcharged on my cruise.

Also, the only bottles they would put in a bucket were ones in the 16 ounce aluminum or plastic. This included Miller Lite, Bud and Bud Lite (might have been a couple more).

If you wanted something in a glass bottle, they poured it into a plastic glass and put those in the bucket. Kind of defeats the purpose of a bucket. This was for obvious safety reasons around the pool.

Interesting. It would appear that some folks were overcharged on my cruise.

Also, the only bottles they would put in a bucket were ones in the 16 ounce aluminum or plastic. This included Miller Lite, Bud and Bud Lite (might have been a couple more).

If you wanted something in a glass bottle, they poured it into a plastic glass and put those in the bucket. Kind of defeats the purpose of a bucket. This was for obvious safety reasons around the pool.

that's too bad. i guess watch them next time. you do get hit with tax while in port though waiting for sailaway. this goes away after you leave.

could this be the difference you are thinking of?

that's too bad. i guess watch them next time. you do get hit with tax while in port though waiting for sailaway. this goes away after you leave.

Don't think so. This was definitely while we were sailing.

They offered buckets at the Chopin Lounge bar when I was on the Inspiration back in December. This is where they had all of the different football games setup for viewing.

In fact, the bartender charged us the bucket price(cheaper than 4 individually) and kept our unopened beers in the fridge until we were ready for them.

Why do they charge you tax while docked before sailaway? I've not heard of other cruise lines doing this.

Why do they charge you tax while docked before sailaway? I've not heard of other cruise lines doing this.

never questioned it. just always assumed that while they are tied up, they are doing business in that state, and need to pay sales tax on the things they sell while doing so.

you do save a little on a bucket. not a whole beer's worth, but you do save some.

i don't think the other bars have the buckets to give. cld they get them? sure, but they must not want to. i wld think one reason wld be that they don't want people walking around in interior spaces with buckets of ice.

As true said, it was a small savings over buying four individual beers. Couple of bucks maybe.

They sold buckets in the sports bars on the Liberty, Victory and Valor when we sailed on them. We were told they only sold them at the pool bars and the sports bars. Not sure what the problem is:confused: Some ships don't have sports bars.........

Mornin K, say it isn't so. What ships don't have sports bars?

Be glad you we able to get buckets. Our Triumph sailing 1/12/08-1/19/08 didn't have buckets at all!!! And to make matters worse we didn't find out until the last night that they have draught beer ( Heineken) in the Olympic Sports bar!!! Savings of .65 @ 16oz beer. I could have saved almost $40.00 if I had known earlier:o

They do the tax thing on everything purchased while tied up....they do the same thing on the pop card..if you can wait a few hours its cheaper....(only about $3/7 day cruise)

I'm sure all cruise lines have to follow this regulation.

All the lines over the past few years have been charging sales tax on beer and booze in US ports. The sales tax is given to that local government.

Once at sea it is not charged anymore.

I've been on Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, Princess and Regal since they started charging it and they all did it.:(

Archived