Hotels - Genoa/Venice

reader2

I would really like to book the new Opera but it seems as though all the Med cruises embark from Genoa and the hotels in Genoa and Venice seem terribly expensive. Has anyone used the MSC hotels? Also, not being familiar with the Med I am wondering if one flew into Paris how far is Genoa Italy from there? Airfares from Toronto to Paris are very low as compared to the MSC flights and would like to spend a few days in Paris but have no idea of distances or how one would get from Paris to Genoa (train or plane).

Your help would be appreciated since I seem to be geographically challenged!

Thanks.

Also if anyone has sailed on the Opera would love to read a review.

reader2

Most of your questions about Genoa, hotels, and an extensive Opera review (in 6 installments) have been answered by me on other MSC threads on this board.

As far as the Paris-Genoa flight, we flew Zoom from Toronto to CDG PAris and then Air france from Paris to Genoa for less return than Sky Service posted return from Toronto just to Paris. We decided to stay in Genoa rather than Paris even though the prices in Genoa were higher for accommodation. (We did stay one night in Paris at an airport hotel that was superb and not expensive at 75 Euro).

If you need more info just ask.

... and getting to Italy from Paris by train is easy. All the info can be gleaned from http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm just ignore the London/Paris bits.

For cheap flights within Europe to and from Italy try Volare Airlines http://buy.volareweb.com/jsp/web/index.jsp?lang=en

I have not flown them, but for a no-frill online airline I am told they are fine. I note they also do hotels, a quick look shoes approx Euro 100 per night for 2 inc breakfast at the Novotel. Not bad, but that was Jan.. nothing is showing yet for April.

• 1 month later...

Hi reader2:

As promised, I,ll provide a review of the small horel we used in Genoa. The Agnello D'Oro was a small older hotel, 3 star, just round the corner from the Ramada that bdintertech used, and just down the lane from the Y'Lupo restaurant he recommended. Although housed in a very old building, it was more than satisfactory with very clean basic rooms and nice bathrooms. It is very close to the Stazione Principe and a short cab ride to the cruise terminal. The one really good feature was it's outstanding buffet breakfast overseen by an older Italian gentleman who obviously took great pride in his breakfast room. Cereals,fresh fruits, yogourts, rolls, croissants,assorted pastries, cheeses and preserves along with American coffee and teas were all available.

Rates were E115 the first 2 nights, higher because the Genoa boat show was on. On our return after the cruise and visit to the Cinque Terre, the rate was E98 for a large room on the top floor with small balcony and a peek-a-boo view of the port.

Our cruise on the Opera was very good, my review would be almost a carbon copy of that written by bdintertech.

Hi,

I'm not sure when your travel plans were for so I'll just assume they are off in the distance still. I just got back from the Armonia Eastern Med Cruise. While in Venice family and I stayed at the Villa Casanova Bed and Breakfast on Lido Island. It was pretty easy to get to... Venice is a bit complicated getting around... especially since when we wanted to tour the islands it was a bit flooded... oh well. Anyway the hotel was nice and we booked it at ryanair.com under the cheap hotel link and it only cost us US$85. included taxes stuff, a canopy queen bed and a twin bed... plus a nice little breakfast. The place itself is off on a nice quiet side road... we could walk to restaurants and the vaporettos w/2 large suitcases in about 5 minutes... and the beach in about 10-15 (with a 4 year old...) :-D San Marco is a nice place, and the next time if I return would probably just stay there for the convience factor.... although not quite as peaceful, at least along the "streets". When we stayed in Genoa for the Western Med. cruise, we stayed at the Novotel. It too was pretty decent. Clean and fairly quiet, and close to the port, wasn't too expensive and included breakfast. However if you go there and order the steak at the restuarant during dinner and don't want it still practically breathing order it well done... I made the mistake of saying medium well and had to send it back and still got it bloody and just forced myself to eat it instead of sounding like a pain in the butt american. Good luck with your trip. As far as Train VS. Plane... I'm sure the train ride is scenic but if time and convience are more important for you I would definitely FLY - plus airfare would probably be less expensive too!!! They have sooo many cheap airlines out here... I'm not sure of the sevices offered... But Ryan air (was actually pretty good!!!) and Easy Jet are really really cheap common carriers. Take care!

Christina

Archived