Alaskan landtour wardrobe?

PIXEYLOU

Once you are on land in Alaska, there are no dress codes other than 'don't over dress'. Jeans rule! Darn things are heavy, so don't pack too many.

We hate ship board dress codes and book our trips accordingly. We refuse to take formal wear.

DW and I cruised Alaska summer before last. We were informed that the weather in the summer tends to be cloudy and rainy although we had sunshine for most of our trip. The crew said the weather we were having was oddly sunny and warm.

That being said however we did have rain a couple of days and cool to cold weather. Most of the time we were in jeans except for evenings in the dining room.

I would pack for dressing in thin layers. That way if you hit a warm spell you can peel off what you don't need. If you carry a backpack/daypack with you into port you can stuff any excess layers into the backpack.

We brought jackets and rain gear with us, but ended up purchasing fleece lined rain jackets at our first port, Ketchikan. They worked perfectly.

Jeans are fine with me! We do like the formal nite but I can pack one and wear twice!!!!!!!!! Would capris be appropriate? HOw much walking on the landtours do you actually do. I forget where we are staying but I will get back to you to see if you recognize the establishment. Thanks Buttercups

Archived