sudden death in family - please help

Imhokie

My mother and two sisters were due to leave on the Radiance this Sunday, Jan 27. We just got the news that my sisters father-in-law passed away unexpectedly.

Of course we are reeling but I have very little time to tell the tripinsurance company what we are going to do. (tomorrow by 10:00pm)

Thank goodness we did buy the insurance and the company has assured me that we are all covered to cancel. We also have air booked from RDU to FLL included.

Now, they also told me that I might want to call RCCL and see if I could take another cruise soon and transfer the reservation along with the insurance. Does anyone feel that RCCl would help in this situation.

I don't want to be harsh but my mother and sister have never travelled and this was their trip of a lifetime. They have been counting the minutes. If we have to cancel then I want to have some alternative to offer them.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

My mother and two sisters were due to leave on the Radiance this Sunday, Jan 27. We just got the news that my sisters father-in-law passed away unexpectedly.

Of course we are reeling but I have very little time to tell the tripinsurance company what we are going to do. (tomorrow by 10:00pm)

Thank goodness we did buy the insurance and the company has assured me that we are all covered to cancel. We also have air booked from RDU to FLL included.

Now, they also told me that I might want to call RCCL and see if I could take another cruise soon and transfer the reservation along with the insurance. Does anyone feel that RCCl would help in this situation.

I don't want to be harsh but my mother and sister have never travelled and this was their trip of a lifetime. They have been counting the minutes. If we have to cancel then I want to have some alternative to offer them.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Wow, thats a loaded question. First of all my condolences.

Usually moving a reservation is an easy thing to do but I am not sure about it while in the penalty phase or so close to sailing.

If the insurance pays you back, why not take the money and book a new cruise?

With the insurance they will refund your money and you can rebook. Call RCCL and find out your options, and then you will have something concrete to tell your mom and sister.

I lost my Aunt last week and there is really never a good week, my condolences to your family.

Thanks for your quick responses can condolences. Insurance company just gave me all the options because I ask. They seem like the will be very responsive and easy to deal with.

I am really bummed because my family really wanted the Radiance or the Jewel. We had balcony cabins for $750 each. They are more than double now for the winter.

Costa is the only thing I can find in our price range.

Thanks for your quick responses can condolences. Insurance company just gave me all the options because I ask. They seem like the will be very responsive and easy to deal with.

I am really bummed because my family really wanted the Radiance or the Jewel. We had balcony cabins for $750 each. They are more than double now for the winter.

Costa is the only thing I can find in our price range.

Ask RCCL if they would transfer the reservation, I doubt they would let you keep the cheap rate but you won't know unless you ask.

My condolences.

Sounds like the insurance doesn't want to pay out. If I was you I would cancel and book a new cruise when you all can decide at your leisure rather than HAVING to decide RIGHT NOW especially under the circumstances.

I think the insurance company is just giving the OP some options, if RCI will allow the op to reschedule the cruise, then, yes the insurance does not have to pay out, but they are willing to continue the insurance to the new cruise, thereby saving the OP the cost of new insurance, if the insurance company pays out then the insurance is considered used and will not cover a new cruise.

My sisters DH still wants her to go on the cruise so I am trying to re-arrange airfare for her.

What is the latest you would be comfortable arriving in FLLto go to the cruise port? This will be a 6:00am flight leaving GSO stopping in CLT.

Options are arriving 9:30 in FLL or 11:50. The 9:30 arrival is steep.

If will be interesting to see if the insurance might help with this change since they won't be paying out almost $4000 to refund the entire trip.

thanks again,

Kathy

Thanks. He has been tripping over the packed luggage forweeks now and really wants her to go. He knows he will be spending time with his mother and the family is very large.

Now, I called RCCL and the lady (kind of sassy) said that as long our flight arrived by 3:00pm. I questioned that and she got even sassier.

Would this be crazy? More flight choices a bit later. We are trying to get a direct flight.

Thanks. He has been tripping over the packed luggage forweeks now and really wants her to go. He knows he will be spending time with his mother and the family is very large.

Now, I called RCCL and the lady (kind of sassy) said that as long our flight arrived by 3:00pm. I questioned that and she got even sassier.

Would this be crazy? More flight choices a bit later. We are trying to get a direct flight.

The earlier the better, because flight delays can domino affect across the country depending on where your sister's flight could be coming in from. Check on sidestep.com for a wide variety of choices.

Archived