Ventura without kids?

jeanlyon

We have also booked on this transatlantice cruise and I found out yesterday that the first week is half term! I personally would not take a child on a ship with so many sea days so maybe it will be okay. We have booked late sitting club dining so hopefully most children are either on freedom dining or early club.

Its okay to say book on a child free ship, but that normally costs a lot more?

No difference in prices on Arcadia, in fact for some cabins it is cheaper. Mainly because of so many balconies compared to Oriana & Aurora.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Yes if you dont like kids or feel that they spoil the enjoyment of you're holiday then do not plump for a family ship or cruises that are within the school holidays.

To be fair its just as hard for families to tolerate the rudeness and suffer the moaning just as much as it is for you to tolerate the children, especially when you dont need to being that there are adult only ships.

Lou

Yes if you dont like kids or feel that they spoil the enjoyment of you're holiday then do not plump for a family ship or cruises that are within the school holidays.

To be fair its just as hard for families to tolerate the rudeness and suffer the moaning just as much as it is for you to tolerate the children, especially when you dont need to being that there are adult only ships.

Lou

We are cruising on Ventura's transatlantic in October and chose this cruise for a number of reasons, not least because we like large ships. I would not have thought a cruise with so many sea days would be the best choice for families. This is not our first cruise, all our others have included children and we have never experienced any problems. However, we have had problems in hotels when children are allowed to create havoc. No one, child or adult should have to tolerate bad behaviour.

Hello Jean,

We had a Baltic Cruise aboard Arcadia in summer 2006 and loved every minute of it. Thought the decor was sophisticated & contemporary - don't understand the 'dark' or 'dreary' comments but we all have our own views. Food was uniformly good throughout and always hot enough.

Last year, we went on a Canaries cruise aboard Aurora on June 8th. Well out of school holidays but 165 children were on board. They were not badly behaved but were noisy and hogged pools & jacuzzis :(

Consequently, we are back on board Arcadia in August this year, bound for Venice.

We are sticking clear of Ventura because we both feel that she is too big and too child-friendly.

Whatever you book, enjoy :)

Andrew

Andrew - thanks for that info. I shall definitely give it a miss. We will go on Arcadia.

To the other poster, sometimes the ship that is child-friendly is the only one that does the particular trip you want. I've been at hotels where children ruined the holiday for everyone with their behaviour round swimming pools and let's face it, the pools on ships are not that big.

Totally agree with you Andrew.

I'm doing VENICE too on Arcadia, but before you in May, I expect I'll post from the ship as have done before on my cruises...

We loved the Aurora as a ship esp the dedicated cinema and the stepped stern decks, would be happy if she was a child free ship!! We had a young baby at the table next to us at 2nd sitting dinner which grixzzled every evening, totally spoiled our dining experience. I persuaded my hubbie to try a family ship, it was bad luck for us. 2nd sitting started at 8.45pm , much too late for a baby which was tired and irriatable. Mum could of used cabin baby listening or the creche, but no....

Back to Arcadia for me. (mum for 22 years by the way, now looking for peace and relaxation)

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I think it should be obvious, if you are not 'keen' or just don't want children around i.e. in the pools etc., then choose a childfree ship.

As Loubbylou says, nothing is worse than being on a ship that has children on board and someone looking at you like you shouldn't be there!

We cruised pre child many times and once on a child free ship, which was awful, mainly because the age group was so much older. It felt like a Saga cruise!! (we were then in our mid 30s) On ships with kids, you do get a more varied age of passengers and we go out of holiday time, to avoid the huge numbers of children that you can get on board during the holidays. However, come Sept 09, we won't have that option anymore!

Ventura is being actively marketed towards families and although there will be adult areas and child free pools (which there are now on all P&O ships, there will be kids around.

It is the parents at fault if the children don't behave and usually they are not the norm. But with the numbers involved, there is bound to be some children that don't behave as you may wish, so avoid being wound up and book somewhere else. I would if we didn't have a three year old!

Kate

We cruised pre child many times and once on a child free ship, which was awful, mainly because the age group was so much older. It felt like a Saga cruise!! (we were then in our mid 30s) Kate...

Kate

The child free 'Arcadia' has a younger passenger now since they started conducting weddings onboard last year....lots of brides,bridesmaids and wedding guests, and I mean 4 - 8 weddings per cruise. Also the 'leave the children at home parents' in their 40-50's like me, so age range is much lower than in the 1st couple of years on Arcadia. Which child free did you go on?

Sue

How about Ventura without the sticks........... now you are talking.

After sailing on the Arcadia and being aged 25 I would say it needs a few kids to sort out the moaners. Still they are usally in bed by 10.

Ps Arcadia is a great ship and ideal for the Younger Crowd. :)

Children may be loud at times but I will take them over the sticks anyday!!

Rude moaning just not nice to be around. (Please note this is not every stick some are quiet nice)

How about Ventura without the sticks........... now you are talking.

After sailing on the Arcadia and being aged 25 I would say it needs a few kids to sort out the moaners. Still they are usally in bed by 10.

Ps Arcadia is a great ship and ideal for the Younger Crowd. :)

Children may be loud at times but I will take them over the sticks anyday!!

Rude moaning just not nice to be around. (Please note this is not every stick some are quiet nice)

Ha,ha, well said, love your post.....moaners, forgetters and saga louts on Arcadia/Artemis please!!

Lou

I believe there are lots of 'sticks' on all the ships, they are the ones with the money these days.... and then come home to free bus passes and winter fuel payments after sunning in the Caribbean or on a world cruise - god bless um!! Hope theres some money in the kitty for when I retire!:confused:

Sue

I am one of the "love Arcadia" brigade! I went on her last Sept and had a wonderful time. The age range was mainly 50+ (I'm late forties and was travelling with my 86 year old mum) but we found everyone we met delightful, chatted to loads of people and didn't once meet any "moaners" the whole fortnight.

Regarding the food on Arcadia, we found it to be excellent and never once had any cause for complaint, however some friends have just returned from the Caribbean and they said it was not great. They were on her last June to the Med and it was fine then. Apparently during their recent trip they had food inspectors on board in one port and the Belvedere food hall was closed for a while. Strange that in the five months since my trip it can have gone downhill, I wonder if there are different chefs, or maybe the actual food supplied in the Caribbean is not as good as that which goes onboard in Southampton?

I am one of the "love Arcadia" brigade! I went on her last Sept and had a wonderful time. The age range was mainly 50+ (I'm late forties and was travelling with my 86 year old mum) but we found everyone we met delightful, chatted to loads of people and didn't once meet any "moaners" the whole fortnight.

Regarding the food on Arcadia, we found it to be excellent and never once had any cause for complaint, however some friends have just returned from the Caribbean and they said it was not great. They were on her last June to the Med and it was fine then. Apparently during their recent trip they had food inspectors on board in one port and the Belvedere food hall was closed for a while. Strange that in the five months since my trip it can have gone downhill, I wonder if there are different chefs, or maybe the actual food supplied in the Caribbean is not as good as that which goes onboard in Southampton?

Hi there

Our 'child free' experience was the Arcadia. A nice ship, but not my favourite. The age group was very very old! We felt extremely out of place and it is nice if there has been a change to that.

However, in it's defence, it was the Baltics and we have found that they tend to be an older group anyway, as a lot of older folks don't like the heat!

Most younger people will go for the Med/Carribbean type crusies, well at least for the first couple, before then trying the more adventurous ones. We personally hate the Carribbean, as there isn't really much variation in the stops.

One of the best cruises we had PC (pre child), was in the summer hols. Yes there were a lot of kids on board, but the parents were responsible. The Cpt. did read the riot act at the start of the cruise and one family were asked to leave due to the conduct of their children. We did notice that there seemed to be more 'older'/'late starter' parents! We also met several people we are still in touch with today, ranging from a couple on honeymoon, to retired. We had a lovely time.

It is also extremely expensive for families to cruise during the summer too. A friend of mine with two teens, who are older (one just gone off to Oxford), were paying £7,000 for one outside, one inside twin cabins.

Not a cheap do.

It really is very personal as to whether you can tolerate kids, but I would always suggest you steer clear of summer holidays on any ship that takes children!

Kate

Hi there

Our 'child free' experience was the Arcadia. A nice ship, but not my favourite. The age group was very very old! We felt extremely out of place and it is nice if there has been a change to that.

However, in it's defence, it was the Baltics and we have found that they tend to be an older group anyway, as a lot of older folks don't like the heat!

Kate

Kate, we're going on the Arcadia in May, and guess where we're off to? Yes the Baltics. So, how old is very very old?:eek:

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We have booked two suites on the Ventura in May, one for my wife and myself and the other for our 3 children (we will keep the butlers working). We do admit that some children can be noisy and loud, but that is what children do. We have sailed with princess on the Star and Diamond which are smaller than the Ventura, and our children were in the Kids club most of the day and night. The ships are that large you never have a problem finding a quiet spot. If people would just enjoy the holiday, have fun and enjoy life that is what living is about. I moan just like everyone else (probably more) some times at children but more at adults who should know better. The last cruise the only security had to be called was to two over 60’s arguing over deck chairs (fist thrown etc. etc.).

I am looking forward to my first P and O cruise, and so are the children, we hope that you all have great holidays and just chuckle at the problems.

Rob and Claire

Kelsey 8, Olivia 6 and Lewis 5.

Polly

A experienced cruiser is sending us daily blogs live from Arcadia now, and he said the food is very good

Sue

Just read on another site a Nov cruise on Ventura has 490 children onboard:eek: can you imagine the pool area....

I'll stick to Arcadia.

Sue

Sue are they giving free child places? Apart from Xmas, Oceana carries about 50/100 kids in the Caribbean. Even with Noddy I can't see this jumping to 490 particularly a 2 week cruise in term time.

Cb

Sue are they giving free child places? Apart from Xmas, Oceana carries about 50/100 kids in the Caribbean. Even with Noddy I can't see this jumping to 490 particularly a 2 week cruise in term time.

Cb

They are offering free or only 10% fee on childrens places (3rd and 4th passengers in cabins) on some cruises.

Rob ;)

I compile for a column in our local newspaper, extracts from 125, 100, 75, 50 and 25 years ago.

Back in the last century every week the courts had folks in the dock for not sending their children to school even if only for a few days (unless sick).

Perhaps today on top of a fine, parents should be charged by the courts the amount that they "saved" with these child spaces, when they take their children out during term-time. The fines could then be hypothacated to the local education budget.

When I cruise in November I do not expect a ship to have 100s of children on board. Only pre-5's and over 15's not in education should be present.