Can we do Denali & Kenai in 6 days?

cjb0717

We (myself & DH) are sailing on Coral Princess NB 05/26/08, arriving in Whittier 06/02/08. I'm wondering if doing a land tour on our own is possible with this timeframe.

June 2 - shuttle to Anchorage pick up rental car & drive to Denali (trying to avoid costly OW car from Whittier)

June 3 - take Denali shuttle bus into park

June 4 - drive to Talkeetna (could we skip this and drive all the way to Seward)

June 5 - drive Talkeetna to Seward

June 6 - Seward - Kenai Fjords boat tour

June 7 - drive back to Anchorage to fly out late evening

We are 50-60 age range and have done lots of independant travel. This will be our first trip to Alaska. Interested in scenery and wildlife.

Is this really nuts or do you think it is doable? I checked the car rental and the OW is over $800 with the RT around $400. I'm looking for any opinions or better suggestions.

Yes, this is a good routing and itinerary. I definately do suggest, an overnight in Talkeetna/Anchorage, rather than a 9++ hour Denali Park/Seward drive. Then you can enjoy Turnagain Arm/ Girdwood/ Portage etc, rather than it being a marathon drive past interesting stops.

June 2 will be kind of a long day. Normally I would say to try and pick up the car in town rather than the airport but since you posted your dates (helpful) I checked the rates and they are almost identical between airport and in town pick up. The only advantage of picking up in town is that you are closer to your exit from Anchorage to Denali.

Be sure to stop at Fred Meyers in Wasilla for groceries - your last full service stop.

On Jun 3 you will only get as far as Fish Creek with the shuttle bus, just so you are aware.

By only driving as far as Talkeetna on June 4, you can spend the morning at Denali near the park entrance - visitor center exhibits, film, Wilderness Access Center film, light hiking near the entrance, often with a park ranger and the sleddog demo.

You will have time on Jun 7 to do more in Seward or return to Anchorage and do some things there before flying out.

John

Archived