Which Car Rental Will Pick Up at Port of Miami?

Shanafan

Can any locals please tell me which car rental companies will pick up from the port or that have a shuttle to their car lot? We have a 3 pm flight in Fort Lauderdale but don't want to have a taxi take us from the port of Miami to FLL and sit for several hours. Would like to rent a car in Miami after we leave the ship and drive to Fort Lauderdale to have lunch and then to the airport. Any suggestions?

According to other posts on here, Dollar, Thrifty, and Alamo all offer pickups from the port. I know I just reserved a car through Alamo with a pickup at the port. Booked it through Costco travel (good discount if you are a Costco member) and got an economy for 22 dollars (plus fees). Came out to 33 dollars. Cheaper than a car or a cab and allows me to have some flexibility with our day. Another code that I used for renting a car pre-cruise when I fly into FLL, is a Thrifty code I got off of here. I am returning it to the MIA airport location. Thanks to another on this forum who shared this code with us! There are also some other codes you can find on here if you do a search. Here is the code: 004M001010 To use the code, you need an Orlando Magicard that you can print off for free at http://www.orlandoinfo.com

Hi,

Im kinda doing what your doing. I am flying into FLL the day before cruise and I rented a car from avis which i will pick up at the airport. I will drop it off at an avis in miami about a mile or so away from the port and grab a taxi for about $10 when I return I will do the same thing...grab a taxi and go back to avis and rent the car for the day and drive it up to FLL cheaper than shuttle service for a family of five. also i got the best rate from http://www.rentalcarmomma.com

I saw Hertz and Avis do a pickup last month, but you need to have a reservation. There are no rental counters in the port area according to a couple security people that I asked. We ended renting from Enterprise, but that was from Miami Lakes - about 20 miles away - no they did not pick us up.

But I wonder if they would??

According to other posts on here, Dollar, Thrifty, and Alamo all offer pickups from the port. I know I just reserved a car through Alamo with a pickup at the port. Booked it through Costco travel (good discount if you are a Costco member) and got an economy for 22 dollars (plus fees). Came out to 33 dollars. Cheaper than a car or a cab and allows me to have some flexibility with our day. Another code that I used for renting a car pre-cruise when I fly into FLL, is a Thrifty code I got off of here. I am returning it to the MIA airport location. Thanks to another on this forum who shared this code with us! There are also some other codes you can find on here if you do a search. Here is the code: 004M001010 To use the code, you need an Orlando Magicard that you can print off for free at http://www.orlandoinfo.com

I am a Costco member. Do you do it online or is there another way? I just printed my Orland Magicard. Thanks for the tip!

Thank you! I will book it now!

After a bit of research using the tips above this is what I found:

Avis $44.44 for intermediate size car, must take taxi less than one mile from port and taxi should cost 8-10 bucks. (this is the one I chose)

Alamo $28.90 free pick up shuttle.....takes you 30-45 minutes to go to airport for pickup. (not worth it to me for the free shuttle)

Hertz $88.00 with free shuttle

Is is possible to walk from the port to Avis? Not being cheap but sometimes you can walk faster than a car sitting in traffic, let alone the hassle of loading the bags in the trunk and getting them out a couple minutes later.

Yeah, I booked through Costco's website. You click on travel and then go to their car rentals, and then you can try the different car rental companies and see what rates you get. They have different offers (free days, upgrades, etc, as well as just a discounted rate). That is interesting about it being a 30-45 minute long shuttle from teh port to the pickup with Alamo. I wonder why so long? It seems the port and the airport are not that far away. Is that what they told you? Does anyone else have any experience with how long the shuttle is with an Alamo pickup from port?Thanks.

And mine only came up to 17.99 for a full size car. Maybe you need to try some better codes

Seriously??? For what dates???? I only need the car when we get off the ship and drive to Fort Lauderdale for a 3 pm flight. I put 9am-2 pm as our times on Feb 1st.

Yeah, I booked through Costco's website. You click on travel and then go to their car rentals, and then you can try the different car rental companies and see what rates you get. They have different offers (free days, upgrades, etc, as well as just a discounted rate). That is interesting about it being a 30-45 minute long shuttle from teh port to the pickup with Alamo. I wonder why so long? It seems the port and the airport are not that far away. Is that what they told you? Does anyone else have any experience with how long the shuttle is with an Alamo pickup from port?Thanks.

The only thing I can think is it is a shuttle.....with space for 10 plus people.....and they wait to fill it up before leaving. You have to go to the airport........and we all know what a pleasure it is driving around the airport. :eek:

Last year we took the shuttle from the port to the rental place which is actually away from airport. It took about 15 min. for the shuttle to arrive, and of course it does make its rounds to the other ships to pick up passengers. But...it was only about a 15 min ride after that. So...not a bad experience at all. We rode to Ft. Lauderdale, did a little shopping at Sawgrass and returned the car to FLL...in the terminal.

This year, I need to do the same thing, but want to use Avis....does anyone know if Avis picks up at the port??? I seem to remember that most of the rental companies had shuttles there..

Just booked with Dollar for a pick up at the port. I used the code and saved a ton of money! Thank you! I LOVE these boards!

This year, I need to do the same thing, but want to use Avis....does anyone know if Avis picks up at the port??? I seem to remember that most of the rental companies had shuttles there..

We've got rentals reserved for 2/22/08. From what I've read there is no shuttle. You need to catch a taxi which runs from $7 - $10. We are traveling with a group, so we thought it was worth the taxi fare to have a couple of people go pick up the rentals and return for all the passengers and luggage rather than loading it into a shuttle.

Good Luck!

• 7 years later...

Just wanted to inform everyone that I just booked an intermediate Sedan with Budget rental cars for 1 day, February 6-7, 2016, after our cruise with Norwegian Cruises newest ship "Escape" from Miami to St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau.

Budget will pick us up from port of Miami, bring us to car rental location nearby, and we are flying out of Ft. Lauderdale the next day. The cost for car was $ 40 + 6.46 fees & taxes.

This is the best deal I found.