Q&A with a crew member

ohioNCLcruiser

Aloha everyone. I want to do a Q&A with cruise critic for a video blog entry where I pretty much read questions and answer them. If you have any questions about NCLA, Pride Of America, Hawaii etc feel free to ask. Ask anything from what our crew cabins are like to what the crew do at night for fun. Please use common sense in what you ask. I won't answer certain questions but this can be a fun way to get some general questions answered (does the crew like the auto tip, what does the crew do when they are off the ship etc).

Once I have a good amount of questions I will post a video blog with answers at my website http://web.mac.com/cruisingjames

What's the real story of bringing gifts to the crew? I know that tips are to be given in cash, but do people like a little personalized gift or does it just take up room that is too tight?

I am sailing in a few weeks and was thinking of bringing some Red Sox and maybe Patriots t-shirts.

How much time off do you have during the day for the different jobs that are there. How many hours do the different jobs work I guess is what I mean.

Do most crew multi task meaning do you do many different jobs during the day.

Are most of the crew happy with their jobs?

What do you think is the worst job on the ship?

How many of the ships crew end up signing on for more than one contract?

I know you have done, but the perception on the boards seems to be that the working conditions are so horrible that they're constantly replacing all the staff on the ships, leading to problems with the service. I'm not complaining at all --never been on NCLA -- but I've often wondered how many "repeat" staff there are.

How much free time do you usually have during the week and are you able to do any sightseeing while you're in Hawaii?

How easy (or hard) is it to change to different positions on the ship? ie, if you're a waiter and hate it (I know that isn't you!) can you move to the cruise director's staff or another position within NCLA or NCL?

When you're assigned to a ship, can you move to a different ship during your contract?

What is the cut-off age to apply for a job with NCLA? Are couples encouraged to apply together?

Thanks James! Maybe, someday, we'll be on a NCLA ship. :p

If you opt out of the auto-tip or service charge, your tips go to a pool. If you tip someone a dollar, they might see a penny of it. My question to those who turn off the auto-tip is do you bother to pick up a penny on the street any more? I live in a county with lots of pecan trees. Its amazing when people are picking up nuts worth over a dime and less than a quarter keep the yards clean every hour in my county, but you will see pennies everywhere. I recall a day in my youth the situation was different.

Thanks for the offer!

Who is in charge of crew morale/activities/complaints? Is it a special assigned job or is it part of someone else's job? For example, I remember a cruise director saying he was also in charge of crew activities. I remember a concierge saying he was also in charge of the crew newspaper.

Coka

Yes, PLEASE settle it once and for all. Do crew members REALLY like the stuff people insist on giving them, phone cards, food items, tee shirts, toiletries, etc.

There seems to be two distinct camps regarding the practice. Those for it say the crew thanks them profusely, those against it say extra money is the only way to go, let THEM decide what they want.

If there is anything they appreciate other than money, what is it?

Are there many married (to each other) crew members serving on the same ship. What are their cabins like? Does the cruise line accomodate married couple and give them a private cabin? Just curious as from what I've seen most crew cabins seem to be for more than 2 people.

What is a nice American guy like you doing working on a cruise ship.

Do you know that the foreign crew in the foreign ships are working like slaves and without any redress available.

The American labour union have not shown their hand yet or are they dictating things to the company already.

Assuming NCLA survives how long do you intend working in NCLA ships.

Thinking of leading a normal life again, go find a nice woman, get married and settle down stateside like other normal person.

What is a nice American guy like you doing working on a cruise ship.

Do you know that the foreign crew in the foreign ships are working like slaves and without any redress available.

The American labour union have not shown their hand yet or are they dictating things to the company already.

Assuming NCLA survives how long do you intend working in NCLA ships.

Thinking of leading a normal life again, go find a nice woman, get married and settle down stateside like other normal person.

Wow is all I can say. :(

I'm surprised you didn't tell him he should have 2.3 children as well.

Wow is all I can say. :(

I'm surprised you didn't tell him he should have 2.3 children as well.

You have to excuse deck10 007. James' attitude is completely contradictory to all 007's believes in the crew of NCLA. If all the crew had James' attitude and commitment, NCLA would thrive beyond expectations and 007 would have to find joy elsewhere.

Jey James and Sashi!

Great job on the Q & A session!

I am a critical care nurse and I'm wondering if the nurses on board the ship are actually employed by NCLA or are they Travel/contracted nurses? I read posts on other sites on just how the nurses love their jobs and I am ready for a change!! :D

NayRN

Archived