China cruise--using CPAP machine?

sueswny

Does anyone have experience with a CPAP machine (or similar breathing machine) in China? In hotels and on ship? I know that the hotels and ships have 110 V available,but I think it's all 50H. I am thinking of doing one of these trips with my brother, and he uses a breathing machine. He said that in Europe last year it didn't work, something about 50H vs 60H. Anyone have trouble with one in China? Thanks.

Sue, I would probably check with the cruiseline that your brother is thinking of booking with. We did a cruise with Princess, with a land tour/cruise in china. The CPAP machine wouldn't have working on the Victoria Line that we took on Yangtze - merely because there was only one 110v plug (in the bathroom for shaving).

Dealing directly with the company will at least guarantee that he won't trash his machine and will be able to use it.

Another thing, and I don't know if this is relevant or not, but air pollution is really really bad in China and you can't escape it unless a typhoon blows in. We don't have respiratory problems, but folks on our tour did and they really suffered, especially in Beijing.

Charlie

I used a CPAP during the 2007 OCT 1. Viking "Jewels" trip in China and found that It was not a problem at any of the 5 Star Hotels or aboard the Century Sky. The staff and guide were always very helpful. I hope your brother has a great time. I suggest he does not book the first week of October as it is National Week and will be VERY crowded at all the tourist spots.

My husband uses a CPAP machine, travels to Beijing, China on business. He borrows an adapter plug at the hotel he stays at.

We took a Danube river cruise over Christmas on the MS Bolero, stayed at hotels in Budapest, Prague, Vienna, they all had the adapters you can borrow. On the ship, we borrowed our daughter's adapter plug, the ship may have had one, we just didn't check.

Before going on the cruise, I bought from Travelsmith a converter/adapter set. It quit after the first use. I contacted them when we returned, they told me the converter is only to be used for short intervals, as in fifteen minutes! They told me I could return for full refund.

Have a good trip!

Debbie

Archived