$60 per day cash deposit?

albertiger

Can you use one card when you check in for the $60pp hold and then pay what you owe with a different card? The card I have that has enough $$ available to hold is a high interest card, I would like to pay what we actually owe with a low interest card.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just go to the front desk on the last full day and give them the card you want to use.

I have done something similar when I wanted to pay part of the balance due with cash or using a gift type credit card.

As long as they get paid they don't mind.

Bodger

Well, I think the last post offers a solution to my problem...

I can use a credit card with the necessary available balance and then pay my bill on the last day with cash??? That would be great!:D

Yes, but be aware that the 'hold' is still reserving part of your credit line, effectively reducing your credit limit (temporarily) on the card. That means you still may not be able to use the card for other purchases (ashore) during the cruise. If those purchases would exceed the reduced limit, they would probably be declined.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but be aware that the 'hold' is still reserving part of your credit line, effectively reducing your credit limit (temporarily) on the card. That means you still may not be able to use the card for other purchases (ashore) during the cruise. If those purchases would exceed the reduced limit, they would probably be declined.

It is wise also to phone your credit card company to let them know you will be using the card on a cruise and the dates?

Does this "hold" have anything to do with the automatic tipping?

It is wise also to phone your credit card company to let them know you will be using the card on a cruise and the dates?
I send them emails. :)

Does this "hold" have anything to do with the automatic tipping?

It covers any on-board purchases in shops, bars, excursions, etc ... anything that goes on your final bill ... and the automatic service charge is one of those things. HAL no longer calls it a gratuity or tip, and I don't either. :)

Huh? I don't get it. What is this $60/pday "hold" all about? They aren't actually "charging" this amount on our card every day are they?
No. They are merely reserving a portion of your credit line, making it unavailable for use with any other merchants. It is effectively just lowering your credit limit for other purchases temporarily. Please read post #4 again.

Krazy Kruizers already indicated this, but just to make it crystal clear - if you use a credit card to set up your onboard account, they don't actually charge $60pp/pd to the card when you board. Rather, they put a hold for that amount against your credit limit. So you won't actually be charged for any portion of the deposit that you don't use; it's just that your available credit will be reduced by that amount until the cruise is over and the actual charges are posted. Then the hold will be released.

Remember that $10pp/pd of that amount covers what will be billed for the hotel service charge (aka autotip). Admittedly, the remaining $50pp/pd is on the high side if you're not big on onboard spending. But if you have a credit card with a relatively high amount of credit available, it's harmless.

I still don't understand the reasoning for this?? Is it because some people don't have the room to charge and then the cruiseline finds this out at the end of the cruise?

I still don't understand the reasoning for this?? Is it because some people don't have the room to charge and then the cruiseline finds this out at the end of the cruise?
That's what has happened in the past, particularly when passengers charged more in ports than they planned on.

That's what has happened in the past, particularly when passengers charged more in ports than they planned on.

Oh, I see. Now the light has come on...tsk tsk. What is the recommended

"tip" or service charge pperson per day? Or should I find another thread?

OK, i understand it but i dont have to LIKE:p it!

In essence, i will be making a deposit into a non-interest bearing account in the amount of $420.00 to cover expenses of perhaps $100.00???

No, i more than dislike it...it STINKS!:eek:

Don't blame HAL for this rule being necessary. If they didn't have this protection in place, they would be faced with some passengers trying to pay for onboard expenses with maxed out credit cards or those without enough cash in their debit accounts to cover their bill. I have absolutely no problem with what seems to be a very sound business practice. They are running a company and have to address reality.

Don't blame HAL for this rule being necessary. If they didn't have this protection in place, they would be faced with some passengers trying to pay for onboard expenses with maxed out credit cards or those without enough cash in their debit accounts to cover their bill. I have absolutely no problem with what seems to be a very sound business practice. They are running a company and have to address reality.

It's actually a widespread practice in the hotel/hospitality industry, just most people aren't aware that it occurs.

What is the recommended "tip" or service charge pperson per day? Or should I find another thread?
As post #4 said, $10/p/d is automatically added to your account each day. You may adjust that amount up or down at the end of the cruise if you wish. Of the $10, $3.50 goes to your cabin steward, $3.50 to your dining room wait "team" (waiter, assistant, area head), and $3.00 into a pool shared widely with all of the other service staff on the ship. For room service most people give $2 to $4. For "exceptional" service by any steward you may wish to give a cash tip that they are allowed to keep ... unless you have removed the auto charge, in which case they must then turn it in to the pool.

I've run into two separate situations regarding this topic. We do not use credit cards but do use debit cards and therefore having a hold on the debit card means a hold on actual cash money rather than a credit line...and this is not an option for us so we use cash deposits.

On our 2006 Westerdam sailing we were told that we could put down basically what we wanted in cash and they recommended like $250. They said that when our account was near the amount they would call us down to add more.

Just this past December we sailed on Westerdam again, however this time we were not given the option of a lesser deposit and needed to put down the entire amount of the deposit...which was $840. We planned on this and had plenty of cash along to do it. On the last morning we needed to go down to the front desk at a very early hour (I'm not remembering exactly when, but I think I'm remembering something like 6:00 or 6:30) to settle the account...and we hadn't spent the entire amount so a cash refund was given to me.

I hope this helps.

Ahoy!

A normal business practice in all facets of the hospitality business for quite a while, as previously posted. It's virtualy impossible to reserve an accomodation these days without using a credit card, no?

Simply put, 'they' just want a guarantee of payment for services rendered or, depending on the accomodation / service policy, for those cancelling without notice.

Nothing is charged /deducted from your charge account until final settlement (last night of the cruise or segment of an extended cruise). And, as has mentioned, you can change your form of payment anytime during the cruise (cash, debit, credit card). Just visit the nice folks at the front desk (however, I'd avoid the last night if you can).

I also might add that if traveling in Asia, Europe, etc. for any length of time to call your credit card 'vendor' and tell them your dates and general itineray to prevent fraud use / lost cards.

In so far as cruise lines, failure to 'make good' will send you to the scullery for an unanticpated extended cruise!

Seriously, have a Wonderful Cruise!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Archived