Best cabin for a family of 4?

MnAsMom

We are seriously considering a Cruise on the Pride in late June right when our 6 year old gets out of school. My husband is worried about our soon to be 3 year old being able to jump over the balcony if we get a balcony stateroom. I keep telling him that it will be fine. He thinks that an ocean view would be fine and that we won't use the balcony that much but he said if I really want the balcony then it's ok with him!

I am thinking since the boys have never cruised before something midship and lower is better (for potential motion sickness right?). My head is spinning trying to make sure we aren't under the theater or somewhere noisy. Can you suggest where we should request? What deck? Haven't been on a cruise since our Honeymoon in May of 99! Our 6 year old has been begging to cruise for years. Since our little one isn't potty trained yet we figure Carnival is our best bet just in case he doesn't train before then!

Feel free to throw in any extra info/suggestions you might have too! Oh and do you book through a Travel Agent or directly with the Cruise line?

Thanks

OK, you will be soooooo much happier with a balcony. With small children it really enhances your cruising experience. Here's why....you put the kids to bed and you head outside for some adult time.

When you have older kids it's different beause everyone uses the excuse "Well we don't spend enough time in the room". NOT true when you have small children.

If they take naps...you won't have to be tiptoing around a dark room.

The one main thing is that the balcony doors are so hard to open that even I have a hard time doing it. And in our family we have rules for the balcony...no standing on chairs. All chairs are moved away from the railings. No kids on the balcony without parents. No goofing around on the balcony. AND if any rules are broken then the offending child is sent inside, no questions asked. ;)

All parents are concerned about their first balcony with the kids but I can tell you, you will be so much happier with one.

And I book everything myself, but if you aren't comfortable going it alone, then get a TA

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you going? If it is to Mexico, you might check out Norwegian Star for comparison. They offer a minisuite for a better value $$$, including a bathtub with glass shower enclosure, and balcony with a childlock. They have anytime dining which maybe useful when you have kids. We went in October with our 1 yo and 2 1/2 yo. It was great!

Connie

Archived