A Really DUMB Question!

Hi Everybody!

Please forgive me, because I know this has been discussed before, but I cannot find the answer doing a search!

We booked the Liberty 8/30/08 cruise. Deposit is paid and final payment is due 6/21. Since we booked this, there has been a a price drop, our TA called RC and we got the lower price, saving us $140.

Here's the DUMB question. We're using our RC Visa Card to get the points. If we go ahead and pay in full NOW to rack up our points (so we'll have plenty of time to redeem them before the cruise), does this disqualify us for any future price drops?

We're thinking if we wait to pay in full on 6/21, then the points won't show up until the July cycle, which probably won't be enough time to get the coupons squared away. Note that the points we'll get for final payment will take us to the next OBC level, which is why I'm asking this question!

Thanks for your patience!! Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Suze!

I am doing the same thing for a Sept cruise, but I am going to pay 2 weeks early, then view my statement online and as soon as the points show call them to get the certificate. If you pay now you lose 5 months worth of points.

RCCL honors price drops after final payment as long as it is not a promotion for new bookings only.

Hi Everybody! Please forgive me, because I know this has been discussed before, but I cannot find the answer doing a search!

We booked the Liberty 8/30/08 cruise. Deposit is paid and final payment is due 6/21. Since we booked this, there has been a a price drop, our TA called RC and we got the lower price, saving us $140.

Here's the DUMB question. We're using our RC Visa Card to get the points. If we go ahead and pay in full NOW to rack up our points (so we'll have plenty of time to redeem them before the cruise), does this disqualify us for any future price drops?

We're thinking if we wait to pay in full on 6/21, then the points won't show up until the July cycle, which probably won't be enough time to get the coupons squared away. Note that the points we'll get for final payment will take us to the next OBC level, which is why I'm asking this question!

Thanks for your patience!! Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Suze!

I think I understand your delema

It is doubful that when you use your points there will be nothing left. Most price drops are about $100.00 give or take, I am sure you will have 100 or more points left.

I could be wrong but I think accounting i.e. price drops have nothing to do with credit cards points. The bank controls the points and they may be forced into going negative

Bottom line I would not worry about it I fee confident you get any price drops you are entitled to.

Hi Sue!

Thanks for your input! To clarify, we're using the points for OBC. I'm not sure what you mean that we'll lose 5 months worth of points if we pay in full now. It's probably ME not understanding! **smile**

What I'm trying to say is that when we pay in full, we'll get the points we need to move up to the next level for OBC. We aren't using the points to pay the cruise fare. Does that make sense??

Thanks for your help!

Suze!

Hi Sue!

Thanks for your input! To clarify, we're using the points for OBC. I'm not sure what you mean that we'll lose 5 months worth of points if we pay in full now. It's probably ME not understanding! **smile**

What I'm trying to say is that when we pay in full, we'll get the points we need to move up to the next level for OBC. We aren't using the points to pay the cruise fare. Does that make sense??

Thanks for your help!

Suze!

I should clarify, do you use the card for other purchases? Is there any chance in that 5 months from now 1/25 to 6/21 (final payment) due. that you would get a additional 5000 points? to get another 50$ worth of obc? Remember when you are adding things that your cruise final payment will be double if the TA charges RCCL directly (which she should be). I charge everything on it and then pay it off monthly. The points for OBC just need to be in 5,000 point increments. Hopefully this make sense.

We're using our RC Visa Card to get the points. If we go ahead and pay in full NOW to rack up our points (so we'll have plenty of time to redeem them before the cruise), does this disqualify us for any future price drops?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a possible solution that might help ease your concerns. Why don't you pay everything but $50 or $100. That way you will have hopefully racked up the points that you want on your card, but haven't made the "final" payment.;)

-Sarah

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a possible solution that might help ease your concerns. Why don't you pay everything but $50 or $100. That way you will have hopefully racked up the points that you want on your card, but haven't made the "final" payment.;)

-Sarah

RCCL honors price drop after final payment

Sue -

DH charges everything the same as you do and then pays it off when the bill comes in. I am more conservative with using my card because I'm always worried about going overboard, so I do little piddly charges here and there. (We each have our own card with separate accounts and separate points!).

So, to answer your question, I don't think there's going to be a HUGE amount of charging going on between now and the cruise. The biggest charge will be the cruise fare, which we'll earn double points.

Thanks again for trying to help me! I think I'm having a senior moment, at age 44!! Tee hee!

Suze!

Sue -

DH charges everything the same as you do and then pays it off when the bill comes in. I am more conservative with using my card because I'm always worried about going overboard, so I do little piddly charges here and there. (We each have our own card with separate accounts and separate points!).

So, to answer your question, I don't think there's going to be a HUGE amount of charging going on between now and the cruise. The biggest charge will be the cruise fare, which we'll earn double points.

Thanks again for trying to help me! I think I'm having a senior moment, at age 44!! Tee hee!

Suze!

If you are not going to earn a bunch of points then pay if off now, as I said before RCCL will honor price drops after final payment. That is the gist of what you were asking,right? It has been a long week senior moments are allowed

I would hold on to the money in the bank until closer to final payment. Check and see when your closing date is on your BOA Visa. Then decide when you want to make that final payment. ;)

You should have plenty of time to take care of the OBC transaction.

I should clarify, do you use the card for other purchases? Is there any chance in that 5 months from now 1/25 to 6/21 (final payment) due. that you would get a additional 5000 points? to get another 50$ worth of obc? Remember when you are adding things that your cruise final payment will be double if the TA charges RCCL directly (which she should be). I charge everything on it and then pay it off monthly. The points for OBC just need to be in 5,000 point increments. Hopefully this make sense.

A point is a dollar spend?

Archived