If you need more convincing to fly in the day before cruise

I was sweating bullets in December. We were scheduled to fly the day before our cruise which happened to be the day of the worst snow in Ontario for 60 years. We were lucky our flght did get out 3 1/2 hours late, but we got to Fort Lauderdale. In a situation like that, the next day after the storm would be just as bad getting a flight. I would never fly out the day of a cruise.

I will always fly in the day before from now on. Last March, we went on Adventure and planned an extra day, pre-cruise, in San Juan. When it was time to start boarding our flight to NYC (then on to San Juan), we were told that the flight was canceled because one of the attendants didn't show up!! A FULL plane, and the flight was canceled! It took a long time to get everyone re-booked, and many people chose to drive to other airports up to 2 hrs away. There were several families who were missing their Saturday cruise departures because of this mess. The flight we were re-booked on didn't get us into San Juan until about 1/2 hr before dinner Sunday night. I did NOT like all that stress!! And it was so disappointing to have to go back home and wait another day to start our vacation :(

We were scheduled to take the GOS out of Tampa on January 17th. We had a 6:15 AM flight out of Richmond, VA. About 10:30 the night before my wife asked me to check to se if the flight was delayed any so she might get an extra minute or two sleep. In checking, it had been cancelled due to bad weather in Atlanta. It took two and a half hours with RCI and the airlines to get us rescheduled. We got on the ship at 3:20 for a 4 o'clock sailing.

When ever possible we will go the day before from now on.

I've had more flights cancelled, rebooked, delayed, etc due to thunderstorms or fog than winter weather. It is best to NOT assume that just because it is spring, summer, etc that your flights won't be affected by weather.

I took my mother to San Diego for Mother's Day. The week before we flew to San Diego, all the early morning and afternoon/evening flights in and out of my hometown had problems (either severely delayed or cancelled) due to thunderstorms in Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and in Little Rock. Coming back from San Diego, DFW was shut down due to thunderstorms. We were put into a holding pattern west of DFW and were almost diverted to Abilene for the night (we were told by the Captain that we were diverting and right then DFW reopened and we got cleared to land). We landed over an hour late, and then sat on the taxiway for 45 minutes waiting for a gate. All around me were people from California complaining because they couldn't understand why the airport was shutdown as "it was just a little rain." As we sat on the taxiway, I called AA to check on what to do about my connecting flight (which we'd miss due to the delay) and found out it had been cancelled. We were number 50 and 51 on the standby list for the remaining flight of the day to my hometown. We ended up on the 4th flight of the day to my hometown the next day.

Archived