best place to rent a car in Curaco

kbert28

Hi there- Avis was right where cruise ships dock. We rented a nice 6 passenger vehicle for $77. BUT ,their map was terrible and they were not very helpful as far as telling us that the place we told them we wanted to see was closed. When we returned the car they admittted that they knew the place we had said we were going to was no longer open. I would never do this again unless I had obtained a good map first. The Curacao web page needs to be updated as far as what you can actually see in the old Land houses. Hope this helps- BW

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend AVIS in Curacao. We reserved ahead of time for :

code Curacao Mega Pier - WM2

(MEETS CRUISE SHIPS ONLY), Zelandia Curacao (Netherland Antilles)

We had a full size Kia Sorento for $84 total fee.

We walked right off ship under white tent, headed to left and around corner of yellow building right by freestanding mailbox is Avis door. Reservation was awaiting and called for car- yes they brought "our" car directly to pier parking lot in about 10 minutes. We were told return by 5pm but she was closed for two hours around lunch I think 12-2pm. We drove car right around gate, dropped off and was a breeze.

Now driving is easy, but finding signs a bit more difficult. We live in an area with roundabouts and they are plentiful in Curacao so be prepared. Having a car allowed us to drop of a golfer at Blue Bay golf (10-15 min away and easy) sight see and park near floating bridge. This town is one you really honestly do not need a car unless a definite destination.

(p.s. we also used Avis in Aruba- whole different story- agent said was waiting but failed to tell us outside and look for a van pick up- you then go to rental agency, get a vehicle and must return it to agency and they shuttle you back- just a heads up they are not at the pier as stated)

We just rented a car in Curacao. We walked to Avis but we didn't have reservations and the lady said it would be at least 30 min to get a car because they had to bring a car from the airport and it would be 85$ for the day. We decided to walk over the floating bridge and rent a car from Alamo at the PLaza hotel. The car was 49.50 but we had to drive the car out of Punda and over the Julianna Bridge to get to where we planed to go. They did give us an excellent map. We had to return it back to the Plaza Hotel which ment driving through lot of traffic and having to find a place to park the car. If we had to do it again we would make a reservation with Avis.

• 2 months later...

This was a really helpful post. I'm planning a trip to Cas Abao and the taxi would be too much. How are the road conditions? Do I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle? Where should I find a decent map if the one from Avis is unreliable?

This was a really helpful post. I'm planning a trip to Cas Abao and the taxi would be too much. How are the road conditions? Do I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle? Where should I find a decent map if the one from Avis is unreliable?

Sorry for the delay in post we were out of town.

I have a great laminated map I purchased at a local map store (yep, weird a store full of maps in downtown Indianapolis)

Odyssey Map. Store

902 N Delaware St

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317) 635-3837 Perhaps they have one in stock they can mail- It is made by Berndston. I tried website listed on back of map and was no help. Our map cost was $10. First of all, looking at map could, is it a beach- perhaps also spelled Kas Abou? If so- it is way up SW coast but appears good roads to get there. We found the roads a good concrete, freeway type roads. We had gone to Blue Bay Golf and resort (it has a very good beach by the way) and it was 15 min in same direction you would be going. But Cas Abou is much,much further up coast. I scanned a section of my map into webshots do a search under: Curacao Map. Click on full size for better details.Here is my link:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2216070790103372150KnCsji?vhost=good-times

Found other helpful website that may supply info:

http://www.casaboubeach.com/ and http://vacation.away.com/attractions/travel-ad-cid307-curacao-attid267722-kas+abou+beach-attraction.html#visitorInfo

Archived