Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

I enjoyed staying at H10 Raco del Pi. It's a smaller boutique hotel (a modern renovation of an old building) and just off Las Ramblas on a quiet street in the Gothic quarter. The staff were very helpful, especially when my wallet was stolen.

We're booked at the Ayre Hotel Gran Via for our Barcelona stay in late June.

All of the reviews we've read (on Trip Advisor, Venere.com, etc) have been VERY good. And the rooms are reasonable at $102euros per night (especially for a 4-star) for when we're there, which is peak season.

Here's a Trip Advisor link

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d646326-r14981315-Ayre_Hotel_Gran_Via-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

I've looked at a lot of hotel reviews for Barcelona, and this hotel seems to offer a very good location, high quality rooms, good transportation options and great reviews. Seems like a decent bang for the buck.

Hello. We are staying pre-cruise one night at LeMeridian Barcelona. Is this a nice hotel in a good location? Any ideas of what sights to see around this area? How far away is the port from this hotel? Do you know how much a taxi would cost to the port?

We are staying in LaMeridian Ra Beach post cruise one night. Does anyone have any information on this hotel? How far away from the port area and how far away from the airport is this hotel?

thanks in advance for any information!

We just stayed at Le Meridien Barcelona last November.

Very nice hotel. One of the best beds I have slept in and I have stayed at many 5 star hotels.

Right on Las Ramblas - a few blocks down from the top. Great to just walk out the front door and walk down to the marina. Also took taxi to Sagrada Familia - dont know cost of that either. Taxi back we asked him to show us some sights along the way so was a little more. Also the huge market is down the Las Ramblas too. Same side of the street.

Don't remember what a taxi cost from the ship. Not alot tho as it is not real far.

Only stayed 1 night post cruise.

My husband and I will be staying in Barcelona for one night pre cruise on October 29, 2008. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel? Central, but not on the Ramblas (heard it is too noisy to actually stay on). A bit of luxury would be nice but not too outrageously priced.

Look forward to your recommendations.

Thanks

Lynne :)

We stayed at Le Meridien - noise on Las Ramblas was not a problem. The end of October will not be particularly crowded or loud anyway. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels...... this one had one of the best beds ever :D

We will be doing 2 nights pre cruise in Oct in Barcelona. I am hoping to get suggestions for lodging for our family of 5 (3 young kids ages 7, 8, 13)

I am seeing that most hotels wont allow that many, and I am not comfortable with two rooms if I can avoid it.

Any apartment suggestions?

Thanks!!

Greg

Greg, our family of 4 have booked at the Hispanos Siete Suiza Hotel this summer. It's an all-suite hotel with 2 separate bedrooms, I think some may even have 3. It's not that cheap but comparable to booking 2 separate rooms plus there's the bonus of a kitchen and free breakfast in the restaurant.

The reviews on trip advisor are superb, if I remember rightly it's well into the the top 10 in Barcelona.

Hope this helps

Justin

We stayed at the Aspis Atrium Palace last September and again in Early October and were very happy with the hotel. We will be returning again this coming October and have reserved rooms there again. The staff at the hotel have been very professional and helpful. Check in, like many hotels in Barcelona is 3:00 P.M. We use the wait time to do some sightseeing. Breakfast is very good and 50% less if you book it on line when you book your reservation. Have a great trip.

Hi-I can't comment on the other hotel that was mentioned,but we were pleased with the Hotel Continental. We stayed 2 nights post-cruise in Dec. and while small, it was also very conveniently located on Las Ramblas and just what was needed. I don't think I would have a prolonged stay there,but it was very affordable and the 24-hr. snack bar(with free pop,beer,water,etc.) was nice.

Balconies are small but enough room for 2 people to people-watch. The noise didn't bother me but it did keep my hubby up past his bedtime!!

Hope this helps. Shelly

I've read there is a convention in Barcelona the weekend our cruise departs. The only hotel with rooms in our price range is the Renaissance Barcelona Airport. Has anyone stayed there? Is there public transportation to the city center or port?

We stayed one night pre cruise at the Hotel Regina, family room for 4 and this hotel was fantastic. It was located at the top of La Rambla and the location was great. There is a Starbucks next door and you are right in the Plaza.

It cost 20 euros by taxi from the airport or you could take the airport shuttle to the plaza.

I have been reading some not so good reviews on Trip Advisor about this hotel. Like the halls are dirty and the rooms have a smell. If anyone has stayed here please let me know if this is true. I have reservations for this hotel in Oct. Please give me your honest opinions. I would very much appreciate it.

Jill

Yikes ~ we're booked there for July because of all the great things I read about the hotel on these boards. If this has chnaged, I'd like to know too, before it's too late to change. I can handle a lot of things in a hotel, but funky smells make me really unhappy!!

I'll be there in 4 weeks and I will definitely post. I have read reviews that both negate the good and bad. The only reason we are staying is because-#1 they would accomodate 3 in room, #2 price and #3 many people here say they liked it. I am very fussy about cleanliness (not so much about gaudy decor) and I have heard it is clean and friendly. Unfortuately many, many differing opinions on this one.

We stayed there in Sept 07 and there were no smells. This is not a 5* hotel but a lovely quaint inexpensive hotel in a great location. The decor is a gaudy pink, the chest of drawers is plastic as are the chairs in the room but the room and hotel were clean. The bed was comfortable especially after a long day of touring Barcelona. I am not a Westin, Hilton type of person and do not expect concierge services. The hotel staff was very helpful and the buffet was adequate and appreciated (especially the soft drinks, water and beer)

There will always be some who expect exceptional accomodations. In Barcelona you will not find better accomodations with a lovely balcony for ~ 112 E/night that includes airconditioning, buffet and wireless internet. BTW we are going back and staying there again in 2009. I attached a picture of our room and the balcony for your convenience. Have a great time and no worries

Of course my opinions may not be the same as others.

1042216616_09_14.07HotelContinental(2).jpg.00d2038490b2d170812e82e002fadd55.jpg

429771032_09_14.07HotelContinental.jpg.cb41938a24bf2f4bbcf2f93829013598.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation and the pictures, Leftyrne, and for your recommendation and the links, fmax!!!! Sounds like a winner for us as we don't expect anything fancy, but love this fabulous location and the cute balconies looking out on La Ramblas! Also Hotel Continental has "history" and a helpful staff that should go a long way to counteract any small negatives.

We also stayed there in Oct with Lefty RN. We didn't notice any smells and thought the rooms were clean. We thought it was a cute little place with a great view of Las Ramblas. The people were very friendly and helpful. You can't beat the price!

Nancy

We stayed there in May '06 and it was great! No smells, friendly staff, you can leave luggage in a locked room near the desk, quaint balconies, and a nice breakfast room with snacks all day for free! We'd definitely stay again. If you don't like noise til about 2 AM, don't book a balcony, but you can close the doors and turn on the A/C, if you'd rather. The only negative is getting luggage into the elevator and up to the desk on the 2nd or 3rd floors. A small price to pay for the feel of staying in a real European small hotel. Great location, too! The only 'smell' was some people who insisted on smoking in the breakfast room.....but, this is Europe.

We stayed there in Sept 07 and there were no smells. This is not a 5* hotel but a lovely quaint inexpensive hotel in a great location. The decor is a gaudy pink, the chest of drawers is plastic as are the chairs in the room but the room and hotel were clean. The bed was comfortable especially after a long day of touring Barcelona. I am not a Westin, Hilton type of person and do not expect concierge services. The hotel staff was very helpful and the buffet was adequate and appreciated (especially the soft drinks, water and beer)

There will always be some who expect exceptional accomodations. In Barcelona you will not find better accomodations with a lovely balcony for ~ 112 E/night that includes airconditioning, buffet and wireless internet. BTW we are going back and staying there again in 2009. I attached a picture of our room and the balcony for your convenience. Have a great time and no worries

Of course my opinions may not be the same as others.

This is an excellent description of my experiences in November, 2007, although my room was not gaudy pink.

We stayed at the Continental Barcelona last week and it was perfect for us. We had 3 Balcony Ramblas roome for 112 Euros each. The were very clean, no smells, very friendly helpful staff and a beautiful view of Las Ramblas. The rooms are small and funky and very Eurapean. We loved it!

When we checked out the bill was exactly 112 Euros per room, no taxes or other charges. This included free soda beer and minor buffet items around the clock.

John

Great to hear from all of you and John&Betty were there so recently that I have no more worries! Sounds like the just the kind of place we were hoping for. We also have 3 balcony rooms and I love the idea of being able to see Las Ramblas from our room.:)

Archived