'deposits' on HAL

petrieshodi

Should I consider getting a credit card just to give to HAL and then pay my shipboard bill with the debit card or cash at the end of the cruise? Maybe I should get a traditional pay it off at the end of the month American Express or Diners Club card simply to avoid tying up my money with HAL?

What's a guy to do here? I'd appreciate any experience/advice anybody should have here. Should I be talking to HAL or the travel agent?

Go for the Amex. :)

We don't do charge cards so it will have to be cash or debt card only.
To you I also say that I think it's time for you to get a low-limit credit card. You don't have to use it for anything other than the cruise deposit(s).

What does HAL do for a "grand voyage"? Does the same policy of $60/person/day still apply? on the Rotterdam's upcoming 117 day voyage from LA to New York, HAL will want a deposit of $14,040! Now that's a lot of money!

Rick

It's my understanding that it's done in "segments". Every two or three weeks pax have to "top up" the deposit.

I sympathize with those who don't want to incur any credit card debt. I'm trying desparately to pay off mine.

However, I think that it is unwise, in this day and age, to not HAVE any cards. This is especially true when travelling outside the country. If you miss the ship, even if its no fault of yours, you may still have to purchase an expensive, last-minute one-way airline ticket to get home. If you become ill or injured in a foreign country, you could have a problem. It is highly unlikely that a foreign hospital will accept your Blue Cross card. They want cash (or credit cards), and you may not be allowed to leave the country until they are paid.

So, I suggest that you get a card, and not necessarily a low-limit card. Low interest, yes. A night or two in a foreign hotel, plus airfare to catch up to the ship or return home can run into a couple of thousand dollars all too easily. Use it once a year and pay it off, just to keep the card active.

Just my $0.02 worth. YMMV.

Archived