Exactly how "bad" is the food?

upstateny39

I actually consider myself to be a bit of a 'foodie' as well. I've actually considered going on a cuisine oriented trip sometime, but I don't think my scale could take it! That being said, I loved all the food I had on the Star. I don't think a particular interest in food necessarily necessitates 'high standards', though, since it still all boils down to personal taste. All of the beef I ate on the Star was perfectly cooked to order and tender, which is something I am EXTREMELY picky about. I send more steaks back than anyone I've ever met; if I'm paying for it I simply won't accept it if it's not what I asked for. All of my meals that were supposed to be hot were served hot; cold were cold. The seafood was also perfectly cooked - something else I notice - not a rubbery bit of lobster, shrimp or scallops over the entire cruise.

So... I consider myself to have 'high standards' as well. I believe that means that I expect my food to meet my standards as far as quality (ie tender meat), accuracy (according to what I have specifically requested), temperature, and timeliness. All of those criteria were met on the Star, and since I know myself and what I enjoy very well, I only ordered one thing that I didn't find delicious - a chilled soup. It was the 'chilled' part that I didn't like, though, and my husband loved it enough to eat mine as well as his. I think 'standards' stop after the 'standard expectations' I described above are met; actual flavours and preparation are going to appeal to every individual differently according to their unique tastes. They're as unique as opinions; this one is mine. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. I did not find the food to be fresh, creative, or flavorful...and I wonder in retrospect how any of those adjectives can apply to cruise food. Mainstream crusing is not for bona fide "foodies"...and I'm astonished that anyone who proclaims themselves as such can tout the wonders of NCL's "cuisine".

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. I did not find the food to be fresh, creative, or flavorful...and I wonder in retrospect how any of those adjectives can apply to cruise food. Mainstream crusing is not for bona fide "foodies"...and I'm astonished that anyone who proclaims themselves as such can tout the wonders of NCL's "cuisine".
food quality, preparation and yes, even being a "foodie" is still a matter of preferance. You may not see how one can tout the wonders of a certain type of food, but it is still an opinion. I do not think NCL food or any mass marketed line has truely gourmet food, but that doesn't make me right. It is all in opinion.

Nita

Cruise line food is generally good so long as you understand what it is. It is prepared in large quantities to be served to large crowds. It is comparable to High-quality hotel catered meal, such as for a wedding or special event. It is NOT the as good as a fine dining restaurant where the food is individually prepared for just you, nor is it as bad as a sit down casual dining chain serving mostly pre-prepared food such as Chili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Outback. The vast majority of cruiser enjoy the food very much.

A while back I posted a survey on the Celebrity portion of CruiseCritic that you might find worth reading. Click http://*****.com/yrnxn9

... I'm concerned about all the generally negative reviews I keep reading about the food ... Thanks!!!:)

Cruise line food is generally good so long as you understand what it is. It is prepared in large quantities to be served to large crowds. It is comparable to High-quality hotel catered meal, such as for a wedding or special event. It is NOT the as good as a fine dining restaurant where the food is individually prepared for just you, nor is it as bad as a sit down casual dining chain serving mostly pre-prepared food such as Chili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Outback. The vast majority of cruiser enjoy the food very much.

A while back I posted a survey on the Celebrity portion of CruiseCritic that you might find worth reading. Click http://*****.com/yrnxn9

... I'm concerned about all the generally negative reviews I keep reading about the food ... Thanks!!!:)

Here's how Wikipedia describes a 'foodie':

Although the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably, foodies differ from gourmets in that gourmets are epicures of refined taste who may or may not be professionals in the food industry, whereas foodies are amateurs who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news.[1] Gourmets simply want to eat the best food, whereas foodies want to learn everything about food, both the best and the ordinary, and about the science, industry, and personalities surrounding food.[2] For this reason, foodies are sometimes viewed as obsessively interested in all things culinary.

That pretty much describes me, does it describe you?

I didn't actually use the word 'fresh' in my list (or creative, actually), since I was on a cruise and knew that other than possibly the first night, the food would have to have been stored. My point, however, was that regardless of how high you think 'standards' are, it still all comes down to personal taste. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the food you had on your NCL cruise, but your personal opinion about the food you ate is just that. It's certainly not an indication that those of us that enjoy it have 'low standards' or that a 'foodie' (see above) couldn't possibly appreciate it.

Here's how Wikipedia describes a 'foodie':

Although the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably, foodies differ from gourmets in that gourmets are epicures of refined taste who may or may not be professionals in the food industry, whereas foodies are amateurs who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news.[1] Gourmets simply want to eat the best food, whereas foodies want to learn everything about food, both the best and the ordinary, and about the science, industry, and personalities surrounding food.[2] For this reason, foodies are sometimes viewed as obsessively interested in all things culinary.

That pretty much describes me, does it describe you?

I didn't actually use the word 'fresh' in my list (or creative, actually), since I was on a cruise and knew that other than possibly the first night, the food would have to have been stored. My point, however, was that regardless of how high you think 'standards' are, it still all comes down to personal taste. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the food you had on your NCL cruise, but your personal opinion about the food you ate is just that. It's certainly not an indication that those of us that enjoy it have 'low standards' or that a 'foodie' (see above) couldn't possibly appreciate it.

You did an entire thread of pictures of food from your most recent cruise! That makes you a true "foodie" in my book;)

Being a true "foodie" is so much more than the desire to eat a gourmet meal. My husband is a big time "foodie". He reads, researches, and watches everything he can about food prep and presentation, wine, cooking tools, etc. To him food and cooking are like a science. He has an amazing abilty to recreate any dish by watching it be prepared or by taking a taste. He is an incredible cook! He turns a normal Friday night dinner into a gourmet experience, presentation and all! Even my 2 and 5 yo's have highly developed palettes. Needless to say we are all very passionate about food.

Like I stated above, we really enjoyed our NCL dining experience. There was a good variety of food. Dishes were well presented. IMO the sign of a great restaurant is when you leave feeling satisfied NOT stuffed. NCL accomplishes this through the use of smaller portions. There were several dishes I didn't enjoy, however my overall experience was quite favorable.

I found some items in some meals to be good, but many were mediocre. I agree with a fellow poster, the best meal I have had on a cruise ship was at Palo's (Disney). I just got back from the 1/19-1/27 Star. Cagney's was a great disappointment. My sister and I both ordered the lobster ($10 additional to the $20 surcharge). After they dropped hers on the floor prior to serving it, we split mine, and then split the next one as well once they prepared another. I don't know if it was the quality of the lobsters or the technique of the chef, but both were very mushy, (the claws were like pudding) and we were disappointed. I expected that the additional charge would ensure a better meal, but felt that the best consistant meal quality was in Endless Summer (Tex-Mex, and no additional charge).

I usually gain a few pounds on a cruise, but although we did not work out during the trip, nor do any tours or anything, I lost a 1/2 lb on the trip, my husband lost 2 lbs. (and no, we didn't get the norobug!).

But - I find that taste is very individual, and you are certain to find things that you like. The best thing about cruise food is that it gives you the opportunity to try a variety of things.

( FYI, I had a great time, since I go to relax and visit the ports, and there are many great things that made for a wonderful trip.)

If you are going on a cruise and looking to eat fried chicken with mashers and gravy at every meal, you're going to be dissapointed. And why would you, anyway? Yikes!

I would highly recommend that you order things that you've never had or cannot convienently get at home. Be adventurous! They don't serve poisonous food. Adventurous doesn't include the food trough upstairs.

If you leave a table hungry it won't be because they had only bad food. If they present you with something you don't like, simply ask that it be taken away and ask for something else. They will bring doubles of anything if you feel the need to eat more. They will not combine 2 entrees onto one plate. They just bring both. I know this from first hand experience.

Try the tuna tartar salad with white beans. Who would've thought THAT would be tasty?

Adventure.

Explore.

Smile and be polite or don't expect a reciprocal.

Every day you wake up somewhere different but your underwear is still in the same drawer. What could be better?

I agree with what celem says. We have a lot of high end fine dining restaurants where we live, and we have eaten many excellent meals. We also know "banquet meals" and put that in a different category. When we travel, we enjoy trying the every day local specialties and local diners whereever we go on our travels.

I too was apprehensive about the NCL food because of bad reviews in the past. We were on the POA earlier this month and we were quite pleased with the dining fare. We tried each of the specialty restaurants once, the buffet, and the main dining restaurants.

The buffet was our least favorite so we only ate there when it was our only option, eating mostly salads and saving our appetites for dinner. The specialty restaurants were good, but not everything on the menu was to prepared to our liking. Nothing in the to-die-for or out-of-this-world category, but still decent. The main dining restaurants were good although I had to send back a couple things. One asian Thai noodle entree I had was tasteless and I later found out there were many people who ordered the same dish also sent it back. However, in the same restaurant, my husband had his best meal on the cruise--a fantastic seasoned skirt steak with mashed purple sweet potato. Unfortunately it was the chef's daily special and was served only that one day. Some of the desserts were very good and we ordered more than one.

I'd say it was hit or miss with ordering certain dishes, but in general, we found the food good, some better than others. If we didn't like something, we were able to find something else suitable.

My husband gained 8 pounds so that should tell you something! (He just had surgery so that may be part to blame).

I found some items in some meals to be good, but many were mediocre. I agree with a fellow poster, the best meal I have had on a cruise ship was at Palo's (Disney). I just got back from the 1/19-1/27 Star. Cagney's was a great disappointment. My sister and I both ordered the lobster ($10 additional to the $20 surcharge). After they dropped hers on the floor prior to serving it, we split mine, and then split the next one as well once they prepared another. I don't know if it was the quality of the lobsters or the technique of the chef, but both were very mushy, (the claws were like pudding) and we were disappointed. I expected that the additional charge would ensure a better meal, but felt that the best consistant meal quality was in Endless Summer (Tex-Mex, and no additional charge).

I usually gain a few pounds on a cruise, but although we did not work out during the trip, nor do any tours or anything, I lost a 1/2 lb on the trip, my husband lost 2 lbs. (and no, we didn't get the norobug!).

But - I find that taste is very individual, and you are certain to find things that you like. The best thing about cruise food is that it gives you the opportunity to try a variety of things.

( FYI, I had a great time, since I go to relax and visit the ports, and there are many great things that made for a wonderful trip.)

I don't know what makes some lobster mushy, we had a similar experience on Celebrity a few years ago. Mine was mushy, the rest were not. Of course, even in the sur charge restaurant they could still be using frozen ones. I too was disappointed in the Lobster in Cagney's on the Jewel, but everything else was great, hubby loved his steak.

Nita

I just got off the Dawn on the 27th, and have to say I was very happy with the food quality. There were 12 of us, and everyone thought the food was outstanding - even the buffet. I can't understand how others can be so critical unless they are used to eating at 5-star restaurants on a regular basis.

I've followed this thread with interest and I have what may be a stupid question:

Do people actually make cruise decisions based only on the food served?

Sea Hound:D

True foodies will (I'm one in training). Depends completely on what your priorities are. If I'm going to indulge in foods I don't normally eat, I want it to be good. I never thought I'd push creme brulee away, but after trying a pineapple brulee on Princess, I did. I wasn't worth it to eat it. It's not that it was bad, but since I normally watch what I eat, if I don't truly love it, I'm not going to eat it.

I think an important point to highlight, especially for 1st time cruisers, is that you can easily request something else in the main restaurant if you don't like your first choice. So this is the perfect time to try something new -- you're not stuck with it, as you are in a land-based restaurant!! I have had some entrees on all the lines that I didn't care for, for different reasons, but the wait staff was always more than happy to bring me a replacement. And, it's perfectly fine to ask for something you don't see on the menu ----basic items like mashed potatoes are always available, and the chef will often prepare something special for you if you ask a day ahead.

I think an important point to highlight, especially for 1st time cruisers, is that you can easily request something else in the main restaurant if you don't like your first choice. So this is the perfect time to try something new -- you're not stuck with it, as you are in a land-based restaurant!! I have had some entrees on all the lines that I didn't care for, for different reasons, but the wait staff was always more than happy to bring me a replacement. And, it's perfectly fine to ask for something you don't see on the menu ----basic items like mashed potatoes are always available, and the chef will often prepare something special for you if you ask a day ahead.

These are great points to remember. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want and cruising is a great opportunity to try foods that you haven't been exposed to or weren't brave enough. I found I love escargot and lamb. I've found that true French pastries and desserts aren't as sweet as you'd expect them to be. I also found that I truly love Celebrity's almond croissants at Cova Cafe!!! That is where I gained my weight in September.

Re food on cruises - I used the following line after a Princess cruise in 2005 and I think it still applies to the food on the NCL Sun last week (1/16/08). I'm talking about the main dining room(s).

If it were a restaurant in your home town, you would probably only go back for repeat visits if it were located very close to your home and was easy to get to...e.g convenience.... The reason I say this is because in my experience the fair/mediocre meals outnumber the good/great meals about 60/40. I have never had a really bad meal, just not enough really good ones....

However, if you are going on a cruise for the food, you are going for the wrong reason.

You will have a good time regardless.

One man's opinion.

Re food on cruises - I used the following line after a Princess cruise in 2005 and I think it still applies to the food on the NCL Sun last week (1/16/08). I'm talking about the main dining room(s).

If it were a restaurant in your home town, you would probably only go back for repeat visits if it were located very close to your home and was easy to get to...e.g convenience.... The reason I say this is because in my experience the fair/mediocre meals outnumber the good/great meals about 60/40. I have never had a really bad meal, just not enough really good ones....

However, if you are going on a cruise for the food, you are going for the wrong reason.

You will have a good time regardless.

One man's opinion.

BK right on. Unless you have the funds to dine in 5 plus star dining rooms (which btw are few and far between) good food is easy to find whether cruising or on land, to die for food isn't available many places.

Nita

I'm new here, and looking for some information before I book our 10th anniversary cruise (first cruise for DH...third for me, but first in 15 years). We're looking at the Dawn to Bermuda in August, but I'm concerned about all the generally negative reviews I keep reading about the food on NCL (and I see similar things about Carnival and RCCL!). So, when one says the food is "bad," what exactly does that mean? I understand dining preferences are quite subjective, but I wonder if someone with some experience could give us some ideas of exactly what was bad (or good!) about the meals served? Is it that they are serving poor quality food, or is it just that the kinds of food served aren't to your liking? I'm also seeing negative comments about the reservations process...are people having difficulty just with the specialty restaurants? Thanks!!!:)

I was on the Dawn back in July. The only real complaint that I had was with the buffet in the lido dining room. It left a lot to be desired but as far as the other areas around the ship, they were just fine.

IMHO the food that is served on the mass market lines is nothing more than mass produced banquet food that I would find at a Marriott or Hilton catered banquet. It is not five star but I keep my expectations in check. I also did not have any problems with getting a reservation each day.

i consider myself a bit of a foodie and i'm taking classes to be a personal chef (just as a reference).

i think the food is quite good. i do think you have to have a broad pallette of food you like and be open to trying new things. if you are looking for steak and potato or lobster and don't like different typess of international cuisine, you'll probably hate it.

now is it 5 star dining all the time? heck no. but the food i had was good and some things were great (the second to last night at sea is a wonderful rack of lamb, the argentian skirt stake with garlic chimichurri is wonderful). alot of the apps were wonderful (good split pea soup, 2 nice fish tartares, a couple interesting salads)

but i like lots of things, one night i wasn't pleased with the menu we ate a whole dinner of tapas at tangos. i've also just ordered many apps on nights i didn't find the entrees appealing.

i will say that except for breakfast (which was quite good) i thought the buffet was kinda blah, but i'm not much of a buffet person anyways....

so long story short i think it depends on your preferences if you are going to like the food. but the food i had was of good quality and presented well so i was happy :)

However, if you are going on a cruise for the food, you are going for the wrong reason...

I agree with you except that I must comment about your last line. I'm dating myself, but in the late 1960s and early 1970s (my early cruising period) the food mas many notches above what it is now - approaching gourmet, at least in my experience and opinion. Over the years cruises have dramatically lowered their prices and they had to make up the difference somewhere. The did it in some very observable areas. First they lowered the food quality to good but not great. Second, they started charging fees for all sorts of things that used to be included.

It's all OK with me, however, as I still enjoy going on a floating hotel where each morning the hotel has moved to a new place and I didn't have to pack/unpack.

celem brings up an interesting point. Half the battle of preparing good to great food is having the best ingredients. Large ships, small storage space and shrinking food budgets make true five star or gourmet food very difficult to provide.

As I said before I have liked the majority of meals I have had on cruise ships. I just keep my expectations realistic.

WOW... As a newbie planning our first cruise, this has been a terrific thread to read! I too wondered how good the food would be after reading the negative reviews, but just figured we would roll with it and enjoy the new experiences--dining and otherwise.

Considering that my menus for this week included mac & cheese, salad with grilled chicken, homemade chili, grilled cheese sandwiches, and meatloaf, I am sure I'll be satisfied with cruising fare!!! :p :)

To the original poster: I hope you have a great cruise and anniversary and that you and your husband enjoy your time alone so much that you don't give a hoot about what's on the menu!!!! :D

Good G-d! Juice, sodas, coffee, decaf, yellow, blue, pink packets....:eek: How is the food in (name your place)?...Where is the lobster, steak, sushi; whatever, I had on a previous cruise and I heard they don't serve it any longer! And, I can't find a washcloth in my cabin, so I'm going to cancel my auto-tips. Oh, and we can't forget that they offer Chocolate night, but some passengers may be spreading Norovirus because they don't wash their hands before sticking them in the treats; which is a major YUCK!.

I'd really rather hear about your adventures. After all, isn't that what it is really all about?

Yes, I'm cranky, but there are people here who have made me so.

Then don't read or respond to the thread about food if you don't want to hear about it. Afterall, that's what these Boards are for. To learn anything and everything about cruising to ensure we don't waste our valuable money. Food is very important to MOST cruisers. Why would you book a cruise with crappy food? I personally wouldn't. Take your grumpy self else to another thread and read up on your "adventures" and let us happy people be happy!

However, if you are going on a cruise for the food, you are going for the wrong reason. One man's opinion.

I disagree with this statement. It depends on which cruise line you choose. Certainly, if you sail on Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn or Regent you will expect gourment food. In my opinion, Celebrity is heads and shoulders above all the other mass market cruise lines when it comes to food.

Note that Holland America advertises 5 star gourment cuisine.

Eating is the major activity for many cruisers. Problem is that most of them are gourmands not gourmets and the cruise line provides food accordingly - quanitity not quality.

Just wanted to say that I read an article the other day about the people in Haiti actually eating dirt. They make 'dirt cookies'. Makes me look at food in a whole new light.

As the OP originally said, the subject of food is so subjective but the variety is so great I would think it would be very, very, very difficult to not find decent food. I've sailed about a dozen times with different lines and of course I've had dishes I didn't particulary care for but that was personal taste. Someone else may love it.

As for reading about bad food reviews, as the OP said, you can read about bad food reviews on other lines also. Are they all just 'picky' people? Maybe. Some people are just complainers and can't be happy no matter what. Some have a legitimate complaint.

BUT... I'll make you a bet. I'll wager whatever amount of money you wish. I bet that you might encounter a few bad items, but more than likely you'll have decent, mediocre, and great food on your cruise. It will run the gamut. If not, and you are stuck with bad food every day, at your expense, I'll go on the same cruise. I'd have to see for myself if you're to prove me wrong.:D

As most do, you'll be cursing the food when you return. Not because it was bad, but because it was so plentiful and much too good to pass up.:)

Archived