Dunn's river fall's - Quick question (posted in ports of call also)

max44

Hi,

Thinking of doing this tour with Marva or Orville on our up coming cruise.

Couple of questions-

What's the best thing to wear on your feet when climbing the fall's?

Im assuming you get very wet when your doing the walk up, do most of you get changed or just dry off naturaly before getting wet again doing the white river tubbing?

How far is it from the falls to the river?

(Have also posted this in the ports of call forum but as yet no answers)

We all had water shoes on, and they worked fine. You get soaked! There are places there where you have the option of going down a rock slide which dunks you, and there are waterfalls there too, which they get you by to take a picture. You can also dive backwards into a pool. That's optional, but we all did it for the experience!

We just dried naturally. We may have put towels down on the van seat. It isn't that far to the tubing - maybe 15 minutes at most.

This excursion was the highlight of our cruise!:D

When you finish climbing and are ready to leave, turn to the left and go out the entrance. Otherwise, you will be bombarded by aggressive vendors. We did this, and women were screaming at me to turn around and go the other way. I just kept walking, and made it out unscathed.

Hi,

Thinking of doing this tour with Marva or Orville on our up coming cruise.

Couple of questions-

Im assuming you get very wet when your doing the walk up, do most of you get changed or just dry off naturaly before getting wet again doing the white river tubbing?

(Have also posted this in the ports of call forum but as yet no answers)

We used those

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7165.htm

Some say water socks, some say water shoes. Make sure they have a little bit of a sole. We paid $7.49/pair in November at our local Sports Authority. I bet you can find them at wallmart or target.

Hi,

The best shoes are Crocs Hydro model. They will not get pulled off your feet, and are very, very comfortable. great for walking or climbing the falls. Click the following link for details.

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-31-4-hydro.aspx?reqid=31&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

Also, you can rent water shoes at the falls if you don't have them, but I highly recommend wearing your own crocs.

Yes, you will get wet climbing the falls. Bring a towel, and wear a bathing suit or board shorts...something that will dry quickly.

We had left our water shoes on board the day we were there. You can buy them right there for about $10 if you forget. I wore a little skirt/cover up with my bathing suit, and it was dry by the time I got back to the bus.

And, yes, DON'T go through the vendors!!! Our tour bus guide told us not to go there, that we would be behind (We went to Margaritaville afterwards.), but the funny thing is she told us NOT to tell anyone she told us to avoid them. She said those women would give her the "evil eye" and put a curse on her! She didn't say it as if she were kidding, either.

Have fun! That was one of the best excursions we have done.

Definitely get water shoes or water socks. I felt better bringing our own rather than renting them at the falls, just for sanatation reasons. We climbed the falls twice (on 2 separate trips). If you can, ask if there is a guide by the name of Norman. He is big guy and so great to climb the falls with. We booked our trip through A-Z planners and Norman took just our small party of 8 up the falls. We did not go in the long chain of people and had our own personalized attention. It made was much better doing it this way.

When we climed the falls we wore water shoes and a bathing suit. You can put your clothes in a locker. I took a small towel as well to dry off. We had a guy called M Shaw. He was great he carried everybodys cameras and took photos for you, ducking in the water falls etc. It was the high light of our trip as Iv seen it on TV and wanted to climb them for myself. The vendors at the other end are very pushy, but we managed to get through!

Cant remember what the name of the company we went with as its 5yrs since, but im sure it was Pete? something. Maybe others will remember him as i got his name recomended off the board. He took us a trip round the island including the Dunns falls.I remember him telling us he had a PHD in driving Pot hole dodging lol).:D

We had left our water shoes on board the day we were there. You can buy them right there for about $10 if you forget. I wore a little skirt/cover up with my bathing suit, and it was dry by the time I got back to the bus.

And, yes, DON'T go through the vendors!!! Our tour bus guide told us not to go there, that we would be behind (We went to Margaritaville afterwards.), but the funny thing is she told us NOT to tell anyone she told us to avoid them. She said those women would give her the "evil eye" and put a curse on her! She didn't say it as if she were kidding, either.

Have fun! That was one of the best excursions we have done.

I did, I did...on purpose. Our tour guide said that we can go straight out and should not go through the Market but I heard so much bad stuff that I was nosy. :D

They are pushy but I drove them nuts so that one guy screamed after me "I hope you never come back to Jamaica".

:D:p

We did not realize that we would need water shoes. We bought our colorful water shoes there which worked out great! They were neon yellow,pink and purple. Since the color was so bright I was able to see exactly were my feet were at all times. My husband got the same color and he was in front of me. It made it easier for me to know where to put my feet.

I attached a couple of pictures. We were a little shocked by how fast the water was rushing down. It is not as simple as the excursion details make it sounds. One of our tablemates fell and hurt his back. I don't want to scare you. It was the best excursion we every took and we are not swimmers. We were a little nervous doing it

1494760955_March2007Cruise053.jpg.094fbdab9b519658e097837b87b054fb.jpg

664027726_March2007Cruise059.jpgWEB.jpg.159809f943c78b8ef4f5da15549896c4.jpg

Thank's every one for your replys & pictures :) didnt realise it was so deep in parts. Dont fancy renting a pair of water shoes :eek: so will buy us both a pair before we leave, im sure they'll be used more than once on this trip :D

Also brought 2 waterproof camers today from tesco's as they have them on special 2 for £5 (27exp's)

Archived