Does Bermuda have a distillery?

flashdog_1

I haven't seen it on the map, if so. A distillery takes up lots of room, so I'm guessing they do not have one.

The reason I ask is that Gosling Bros. Black Seal Rum is the main ingredient of the Bermuda Rum Swizzle (saw this on a Bermuda website you might enjoy http://www.bermuda4u.com/) and wondered where the rum came from. I know, somewhere that sugar cane is grown!

Bermuda laws are extremely lax in so many ways compared to those in the USA, Canada and United Kingdom. As one example, in packaging. Bermuda laws say a product is a "product of Bermuda" and may use "Bermuda" as part of its descriptive label when an alcoholic beverage is bottled in Bermuda from spirits distilled abroad (Bermuda has no distillery), also using imported bottles, but blended locally. But in USA, Canada and United Kingdom, a product must state on its label that it is imported and from where, even when it is bottled and labeled in the country where it is sold or elsewhere.

Where's bdayguy when you need him? I'm sure he could answer where the rum actually comes from.:D

Now I'll have to look for the bottling plant.

Black Seal was originally made from mollasses that was imported to the island, and was made here up until the 80s I think. Then for economic reasons they started having it made abroad, I don't know where. I suppose I could find out easily enough if you're interested. The base is brought in and is blended and bottled at their warehouse in Hamilton on Dundonald Street. The only commercial from-scratch booze making operation is Dockyard Brewing Co at the Frog and Onion Pub in Dockyard. They make four or five different beers there and is only available at F&O and North Rock Pub.

Archived