Sun Review - Jan 19 - tribe of 12 - rambling

gehrandt

We took our kids/spouses on the Jan 19 Sun cruise and had the most wonderful time. I do have to explain that our group is of the "glass half full" looking at life viewpoint. DH tends to be a little more objective. Plus we hadn't had the tribe together in over a coon's age so we would have had a ball even if we had spent it in the life boat rather then just doing the drill.

Regarding the drill - in an earier posting someone was conserned about that - they do crowd you into a small area and for short people, like me, you can get a little lost in the crowd. They did ask if anyone needed to be in front. Our one DS caught an older man as he started to pass out from standing there. Unfortunately some people waiting until the last second to show up so everything took longer then it would have if everyone on time.

Embarking was a breeze. Couldn't get to staterooms until 1pm so had a drink and then at 12:30pm went to the Seven Seas for a nice sit down lunch. No waiting and they quickly had a table for 12 set up for us. I had bbq ribs and they were falling off the bone tender.

DH and I had Penthouse 9276 - on the stern. Figured kids could hang out in the living room, which they did. Little on the small side for 12 but balcony enlarged it considerable and they don't mind sitting on the floor (DH is dying for a Garden Villa now). Our Butler, Roland, was great although we didn't pester him too much. Room was very nice and I got to use the BIG jetted tub (my feet couldn't reach end). The kids all had balconies and loved them.

Ruth was our conierge and did a great job - didn't mind including the whole tribe for us.

Most of the time we had dinner in the Four Seasons. Albanus D'Mello (M'd) was the best we have ever come across. Each night we had "our" table in the back room - which was warmer and quieter (except for us - all 12 talk and laugh at once). The staff was great and we enjoyed the food. Only bad dinner was DH's skirt steak - very tough - within minutes he had a new dinner that he throughly enjoyed. Kids also couldn't make up minds or wanted seconds and never a problem. We combined lobster with Beef Wellington (wonderful). Portions were not large but we had so many things to try that we never left the table hungry!

The last night was our DD's birthday and they did a cake for her - plus set up for our DSIL, Greg, to play the piano in the Four Seasons that night - he is a wonderful piano player.

One night 6 of them went to the Sushi place and they said it was worth every penny - sushi came on a long long wooden boat - quite a presentation.

We flaked out early but the kids went to the shows and enjoyed all of them except the first night which was the preview. They said there was too much talking and not enough preview.

They also hung out at the Windjammer piano bar most nights. Scott and Shelley have beautiful voices (whose two get them from DH) and sang with Gordon, the piano player - especially Shelley.

DH immediately found the ice cream bar, soft ice cream being his weakness. Every day they had two soft flavors and hard ice cream flavors, plus hot fudge.

Kids ate at the buffets for lunch and breakfast part of the time and said the food was fine. Pizza was good. We missed a lot of the places like having tapas and/or fish and chips since Las Rambles didn't open until 5:30pm and we usually had an early dinner time - which extended late.

Ship was very clean and maintence was an ongoing thing. When we arrived there was a sewer smell in the bath which was taken care of immediately - same with one of the balcony rooms later on.

Staff was all wonderful - all smiled at us wherever we went - extremely helpful.

Due to weather Great Stirrup Cay was skipped and we rerouted to Nassau. Took a mini van (driver was Perry - great guy) to Paradise Island and he gave us a free tour of the aquarium (in the hotel if free - the Dig is $39 pp and only difference is which side you are looking in from). Think DD Robin took a picture of each fish.

Day before, according to several crew members, someone had a heath problem - heart attack? - and we stopped mid ocean while a helicopter airlifted them from the bridge.

Had wonderful Altun Ha tour in Belize with Margaret of Belize Excursions (Belize report) - and kids did Dune Buggy excursion on Cozumel (Cozumel Report). Three went bonefishing on Roatan.

Debarking was way too easy! We were off, through customs and had our bags while still trying to figure out a way to stowaway. A lot of us did the BAGS program - $15 pp for two bags. Made it very easy at the airport.

Two couples used the NCL Shuttle to FLL while the rest of us used Top Shuttle to MIA.

Kids are planning next trip and DH is dreaming of the Garden Villa.

Thank you for a great review. We are a party of 6 on the the Sun Feb 16th. Can I asked you if you docked in Cozumel or had to be tendered. I am reading that some ships are anchored and have to tender. Anytime we went to Cozumel we were always docked.

We docked - understand the Sun the previous week tendered - like it is an every other time thing. I think there were 7 or 8 ships in port - some docked and some tendering. However, the tendering didn't look like it was that far not - not like Belize.

Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for posting a great review. We will be a group of 13 on the Sun in 4 weeks and can't wait. The two of us sailed on her last year and loved it! It was nice to see that your group was able to dine together. Was that because you had a penthouse or did you make reservations. Any other helpful hints for a large group would be appreciated.

If we made reservations for early or late they could do it for us. If we had wanted them during prime time we might have had a problem.

The rest of the time we just moved tables/chairs together.

On tendering we did get some VIP treatment because of the penthouse - although I had the feeling that the crew would have been willing to help regardless.

We didn't run into one crew member that wasn't great - and more then helpful. I think it is just a matter of asking - and understanding their time tables.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We didn't take any pictures - although our kids took over 3000!!!! during the trip. Our one daughter downloaded everyone's memory cards and is putting together a CD for everyone. I'm not sure they got picures of the cabin without the tribe.

It was really nice - had a very long jetted tub - a dressing table - shower was ok in size - there were two areas of closets and drawers - one by the bed and one by the dressing table. There were cabinets in the living room. Had two chaise lounges, two chairs and two small tables on the balcony. In the living room there was a couch and two chairs - several tables. TV in living area and bedroom - could order in DVDs. I like a hard bed - which it was. DH doesn't but he said he didn't mind it and slept well.

You have a sliding door in each room - we left the windows open at night so we could see the moon off the water.

That corner is more protected from up above I think - stayed clean all week (someone had mentioned soot on their balcony). We did have a cold spell - not tipical weather.

If you find anything I left behind ------ :)

If we made reservations for early or late they could do it for us. If we had wanted them during prime time we might have had a problem.

The rest of the time we just moved tables/chairs together.

On tendering we did get some VIP treatment because of the penthouse - although I had the feeling that the crew would have been willing to help regardless.

We didn't run into one crew member that wasn't great - and more then helpful. I think it is just a matter of asking - and understanding their time tables.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi gehrandt,

We are a group of 14 traveling together on the Sun in March and were wondering how the table reservations would work out with the Freestyle cruising concept. What do you think they would consider "early" or "late"?

We have folks traveling with us ranging in age from 9yrs to 75 years, and I think there will definitely be some disparity as to when everyone wants to eat, but it's one of the things that we are really going to try to enforce. Do what you want during the day, but we want everyone to eat dinner together.

Any recommendations (either your own experience or what you heard from others on the ship) as to which specialty restaurants are worth the surcharge?

Thanks!

Hi gehrandt,

We are a group of 14 traveling together on the Sun in March and were wondering how the table reservations would work out with the Freestyle cruising concept. What do you think they would consider "early" or "late"?

We have folks traveling with us ranging in age from 9yrs to 75 years, and I think there will definitely be some disparity as to when everyone wants to eat, but it's one of the things that we are really going to try to enforce. Do what you want during the day, but we want everyone to eat dinner together.

Any recommendations (either your own experience or what you heard from others on the ship) as to which specialty restaurants are worth the surcharge?

Thanks!

We were a group of 17 (ages 7 - 7) on the Sun early Dec. We too wanted to have as many dinners together as possible on our 7 day sail. Every day we would call and make a reservation, (the earliest we ate was 6:15 and the latest was 7:30) for 17 at one of the main dining rooms. We got to like our server so much we requested her everynight. Her name is Ramona at the 4 seasons main dining room. They were very accomadating with all 17 of us at one table or 2 tables next to eachother. On occassion 2 or 4 of us would break away an evening to have a quiet dinner at LeBistro's or the Italian speciality rest (I can't think of the name :confused: ) Both worth it! Service was great and we were able to catch all the shows.

have a wonderful cruise, you'll love THE SUN!

They recommended sometime between 5:30pm and 6:15pm or 8:30pm or later for larger groups. We normally did the 6pm. Once scheduled for 8:30pm and got there at 8pm and they were ready for us. They were very easy to work with.

We almost ate at East meets West - but by then all were feeling a little broke and we liked the Four Seasons so much that we cancelled our reservations. Some of the kids did sushi and loved it.

Understand the kids clubs are a lot of fun - our "kids" are all grown up and didn't take the grandkids - or great grandkids - with as we would have had to book the whole ship :rolleyes:

Thanks very much to you both for the responses. We try to get the larger family together every few years, and it's not that difficult at this point as the oldest grandchild is only 21. I'm sure if we can eat somewhere around 6 - 7 that should please everyone, and by the two posts above, that sounds doable!

We were told we could only reserve in the main dining rooms for groups 8 or over and it didn't matter what time was reserved. Although, I'm sure they appreciated an earlier or later time just for a matter of good service. At any rate, you'll enjoy the food and the service.

Thanks very much - I was told by my PCC that if we wanted to make reservations in the main dining room, we could do that aboard ship and could probably make reservations for multiple days at a time. If we wanted to make reservations in the specialty restaurants, we could do that through her.

Again - thanks for the info!

Gehrandt,

You said half of your group went to Ginza one night and got the Big Boat of Sushi. Did some of them sound like Paula Dean? If so, we were sitting right next to them! Renado was our waiter and we thought he was wonderful! We probably ran into you and didn't even know it! :rolleyes:

Not sure how Paula Dean sounds - so not sure. We have a tall, leggy, good looking blond who has a beautiful voice - sang at the Windjammer most nights - also son Scott sang there - he has a great country voice. Our son-in-law Greg played the piano at the Four Seasons the last night and we were all gathered up there. Most of the kids are tall - Bill is tall - I'm short. For a couple of days I had a terrible cough as I had a run in with some roses (highly allergic to them).

At the sushi the 6 of them would have been very vocal (or anyplace else for that matter) and they kid each other all the time.

Archived