Yeah Carnival and Royal Caribbean- Pricing-

CruiseDr

Gee, unless there's more to it that this, I don't see the benefit to the consumer. Some people really benefit from using a TA, and some don't. I used to be a TA, so I know my way around booking travel. The last 4 cruises I booked, I got the best deal, not my TA. This week I caught my TA giving me wrong info, so I called Carnival, explained the situation, and they gave me the correct answer. I wish I hadn't let an agent assume that booking. Our upcoming cruise on the Mariner probably will not be. I want RCCL to be willing to talk to me, so I can be sure I have the correct info.

I have booked cruises with three different TA's. Each one has given me incorrect information. None of them ever offered to watch the cruise price and get us upgraded/credit if the price dropped. I had to do this myself and then force them to call for the new price. This past January, I cancelled one of the two cabins that I booked on the Triumph. My TA waited 8 days to call Carnival and cancel. Now I am fighting the TA to refund the deposit that Carnival kept. I cancelled with 75 days before final payment. So much for customer service! :mad: Never again will I use a TA. They get a huge commisssion for making a phone call that I can make myself. Better yet, I will use the internet to get an even better deal.

Yes, I've noticed on all my ONLINE SITES that they "discount" the cruise with onboard credits, free insurance, etc.

With Carnival they ONLY disallow ADVERTISING at a lower rate. :)

Good Capitalists will always find a way around foolish and ineffective pricing tactics. :D

The last time I was in a TAs office, I encountered people who knew less about cruising than I do (some had never been on a cruise), with slower puters than mine. Go figure. :(

I have booked cruises with three different TA's. Each one has given me incorrect information. None of them ever offered to watch the cruise price and get us upgraded/credit if the price dropped. I had to do this myself and then force them to call for the new price. This past January, I cancelled one of the two cabins that I booked on the Triumph. My TA waited 8 days to call Carnival and cancel. Now I am fighting the TA to refund the deposit that Carnival kept. I cancelled with 75 days before final payment. So much for customer service! :mad: Never again will I use a TA. They get a huge commisssion for making a phone call that I can make myself. Better yet, I will use the internet to get an even better deal.

You NEED a qualified Travel Agent not a wanta be!

I booked the Carnival Pride last week with an internet agency. Their price was $300.00 cheaper than the cruise line. So perhaps I am missing the point of this post?

Cruise Lines do not offer the best rate on the internet. Prices change daily. A certifed Travel Agent will have the best rate AND if the price drops the internet will NEVER credit your Cardit Card.

I have booked ALL of my cruises (except the 1st) online. I've had price changes occur twice and had NO trouble getting credit posted to my mastercard.

I feel sorry for the travel agents, but unless you get a really good one, which is hard to do in a small town like mine, I can do MUCH better on my own booking travel.

I know nothing about booking online, and I've had good to not-so-good dealings with local TAs...but I know my four best deals have come from booking directly thru Carnival PVP - rate reductions before final payment, as well as shipboard credits after. We all stick to what we're happy with.

Seems we may have a travel agent named CruiseDr in our midst?:rolleyes: And that's ok, too. Keeps the conversation lively.

There's 25 to 30 of us that cruise together once a year.

We are from all parts of the country, all walks of life and vary in age from about 30 to 85.

We always use the same TA and she takes damn good care of us.

Finds us a new great cruise soon after we finish the last one and then passes along all discounts.

To top it off there is always a gift in your cabin and a credit on your S&S of at least $50.00.

I wouldn't think of using anyone else.

The last time I was in a TAs office, I encountered people who knew less about cruising than I do (some had never been on a cruise), with slower puters than mine. Go figure. :(

Bingo!!!!! Our local TA's didn't have a clue......some had never even been on a single cruise.

CruiseDr......I have to disagree. The online TA we use has been very effective with obtaining shipboard credits and upgrades for us when the price of the cruise drops. And yes, we've received credits to our credit card as well.......Never say never!!!!! :rolleyes:

It seems to me that folks want the best of both worlds; for a TA to offer a lower price than could be found elsewhere, but also offer a lot of extra services.

I don't see how it can be both ways, though. People who do their research and know exactly what they want (like me) should be able to book directly and get the best price. People who want to defer more of that work to someone else and have some hand-holding and extra services should be able to book with a TA (albeit at a higher price).

When I was researching my cruise, I found that Carnival was able to match just about any price I found through TAs. There were a couple of exceptions, where Carnival was a little (but not dramatically) higher. I asked my PVP about that, and she explained that Carnival would generally be able to match rates with TAs. The exception was TAs that book big blocks of rooms from Carnival at group rates, and then sell those rooms individually. This allows a customer to pay a lower group rate even though he's not part of a group. In that situation, the TA will be able to offer a lower price than Carnival.

That's the way it was explained to me. Don't know if it's accurate or not.

It seems to me that folks want the best of both worlds; for a TA to offer a lower price than could be found elsewhere, but also offer a lot of extra services.

I don't see how it can be both ways, though. People who do their research and know exactly what they want (like me) should be able to book directly and get the best price. People who want to defer more of that work to someone else and have some hand-holding and extra services should be able to book with a TA (albeit at a higher price).

When I was researching my cruise, I found that Carnival was able to match just about any price I found through TAs. There were a couple of exceptions, where Carnival was a little (but not dramatically) higher. I asked my PVP about that, and she explained that Carnival would generally be able to match rates with TAs. The exception was TAs that book big blocks of rooms from Carnival at group rates, and then sell those rooms individually. This allows a customer to pay a lower group rate even though he's not part of a group. In that situation, the TA will be able to offer a lower price than Carnival.

That's the way it was explained to me. Don't know if it's accurate or not.

Exactly.....

When you find a good TA you gotta stay with her/him.

Rosey takes all the guess work out of cruising.

All I do is send money and research the 'boat' and itineraries.

Just curious....approx. how much does a TA make off of each booking?

And what is the best way to watch for price drops? The Carnival site? And lastly, when would the prices drop if they did? What is the likelihood of prices dropping for a brand new ship?:confused:

Why pay a premium (TA commission) when you can book the cruise yourself?? I personally enjoy researching and comparing price. On-line agencies who provide search and booking engines for me to book my travel provide a service/opportunity of choice.

What value does a TA add to an experienced traveler and someone who has cruised a dozen or more times???? It's a shame freedom of choice (competition???) is being driven away. Why should I feel guilty for not choosing a TA?? Better yet, in todays evergrowing self service world, it seems strange that the internet agencies are being "pinched"....Sounds to me the cruiselines are trying to monopolize bookings to elimnate commissions from both TA and internet TA's.

You NEED a qualified Travel Agent not a wanta be!

My "agent" has worked for AAA Mid-Atlantic as a TA for 30 years. She is fully certified. However, as are most TA's, she was worried about her commission and not about the loss of my deposit. She delayed calling Carnival to ensure she was paid the commission. I had verbally called her to cancel and followed up with a written canncellation. She still waited 8 days to call and cancel. I have Carnival checking into the matter. I have also sent a letter of complaint to CLIA.

re: the poster that said why pay a TA a commission, save the money and book it yourself. Not always the issue. A TA usually can get you a better rate than direct with the cruiseline. Why? they have to pay those agents/employees now.

AND, they have a love/hate relationship with travel agencies. They need them for the volume required but then they do compete directly with them. Therefore, they work hard not to undercut those needed agents by offering better deals that the TA can offer.

And yes to the vast majority of TA's not having a clue. I have used many, but they can not know everything, and often know very little. When I have to start explaining things to them, it is time to move on.

Just booked a cruise after talking the 3 agents and one cruise line rep. Prices were within $100 of each other but picked the agent that appeared to have a clue which turned out to be the best price too. Was close to using one that was higher but after a few mis-cues on her part, I dropped her.

If you book online you can get some of that commission back. My point was that many TA's don't do anything other than call the cruiseline and get a price quote for you. You will find almost all the brick & mortar TA's charge the same price that the cruiseline will quote you over the phone. Why hand a commission to someone for making a phone call? Save yourself some money by searching the internet for a discount online TA. With the new cruiseline rules in effect, you will have to call them directly to get their best rate. Make a call yourself to an online TA and get some of that commission applied to your cruise rate.

The point of the original poster was that RCCL has (and to be seen whether Carnival follows suit all the way) now forbidden any TA from discounting the cruise price by rebating a portion of their commission. So theoretically it won't matter whether you go to a hometown TA or an online TA - their prices will be pretty much the same (with slight variations I believe for TA specific special arrangement pricing)

Everyone has the same prices....Internet and Travel Agents will have the same prices effective September 1, 2004. Internet discounting is out the door. Customer service from Travel Agents win again.

What do they win, I see it as TA's losing. Since no more discount, I don't need you anymore. I'll go right to the cruise line.

Archived