How badly do I need a car in Key West?

JazzCatDRP

I'll be spending four days in Key West following a cruise out of Miami for my honeymoon. How badly do I need a car while in Key West. I've heard that you don't need one, in which case I could rent a car in Miami, get down to Key West and return it, and then rent one for the return trip. That'd save 2 days worth of car rental if I wouldn't be using it.

I'm staying at the Sunset Suite at Duval and Virginia (just south of Truman according to Mapquest). If I had a car, would I use it?

It might be cheaper to rent it for a week and keep it than to do two one-ways. Depending on the company, you may have to taxi to the airport twice (maybe $12 x 2). It will be a pain to park but probably no more than 2-3 blocks away, and it would allow you to see the lower keys, maybe go to Mangrove Mama's or Bahia Honda State Park.

• 2 weeks later...
It might be cheaper to rent it for a week and keep it than to do two one-ways. Depending on the company, you may have to taxi to the airport twice (maybe $12 x 2). It will be a pain to park but probably no more than 2-3 blocks away, and it would allow you to see the lower keys, maybe go to Mangrove Mama's or Bahia Honda State Park.

Most rentals won't let you charge if for a week.

Bob

Beleive me you won't need it.....parking is not easy to find anyway, so once you do park it LEAVE it there!! You are quite a ways down from mallory square but if young that you won't mind the walk up and down, plenty to see and do along the way. If you want to have a blast go to a "drag" show one night (lots of couple, yes straight couples) go and have a blast. In fact one time we were there a guy proposed to his girlfriend durring the show an act with "diamonds are a girls best friend" It was great! If you go snorkling or para sailing try Sabago......they are great. Irish Kevin's is the BEST!!! Enjoy your honeymoon! Yummy handrolled flavored little cigars.......honey, mint chocolate chip, rum , gosh long list of flavors, try one out just for kicks! Be careful you could get hooked, guys and girls alike! LOL

Most rentals won't let you charge if for a week.

Bob

I'm not sure what this comment means.

When we drive to Key West from Orlando, we usually park our car and don't move it until it's time to go home. If we wanted to explore one of the other Keys, a car would come in handy but for now we are happy spending all our time in Key West. When we fly in, we take a taxi to and from the airport and that's it. We rent a scooter for the week and ride that or walk everywhere we go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I was thinking of the same thing. Got terriffic pricing for one way rentals down and back (approx $50 each way for convertible, unlimited mileage!) and figured the hassle of finding a parking space plus the $ for parking (heard approx $20/day?) made it a good deal.

We're staying at Harbor Key Resort.

Any thoughts???

Is the taxi fare from airport to that location approx $12?

Thanks for any advice.

You're here for 4 days, not a cruise ship stop. Why not take advantage of it?

If all you want to do is troll the Duval St area for 4 days, then a car is not necessary. But I highly suggest getting out and seeing what else we have to offer. Go to Geiger Key for lunch. Go to Bahia Honda State Park for a day. There's so much more to do than the tourist trap area of Duval.

In other words, I suggest having a car.

Thanks, that is the kind of feedback I was looking for. It is only about $100 more to keep the car for the 4 days. Was wondering about the parking fee's though? Might be worth it to just keep it at the low rate, $216 for the 4 days!

Anybody else??

Thanks, that is the kind of feedback I was looking for. It is only about $100 more to keep the car for the 4 days. Was wondering about the parking fee's though? Might be worth it to just keep it at the low rate, $216 for the 4 days!

Anybody else??

I don't think you need a car until you've been to Key West a dozen or so times because at that point you start to look for other things to do / places to go; Stock Island, Bahia Honda, etc.

For you, if you want to go out for breakfast you have the Banana Cafe, Sarabeth's, Croissants de France and Blue Heaven all within 10 minutes of you. You will most likely go to the Key West Bight for happy hour and will either like Alonzo's or the Half-Shell so much that you go there every night, or try the Conch Republic or the Schooner Wharf otherwise. And this is a ten minute walk straight up Simonton. If you eat dinner, there's no end of the number of good places also within walking distance.

As far as activities, you can do a single or multi-stop snorkel trip or a snorkel / sunset sail combo or a day sail or a sunset sail, all from the Key West Bight. (There is a new boat that does day-sails, the Adirondak II that looks very nice) Or an all-day snorkel / lunch / kayak trip, either from the Bight or from near the Westin. Or a Wind & Wine sail. That $216.00 will cover a day out on the Sebago, including tip and you'd get change. Or it would cover an all-day'er with Danger Charters. No sense parking that money in front of your hotel.

hth

Pjk

Wow, thanks Peter for all that great info.

I am leaning towards handing the car in and then getting it back Sunday to return to Fort Lauderdale.

This IS our first time in KW and really just want to lounge around pool and hot tub (reason we booked Sunset Key) eat, drink and get fat! Not reallly into sightseeing.

Also, the daily parking fee at Sunset Key is $21.50 so throw that into the equation.

Archived