What Should I Do In Conzmel

KCayco

I leave in 11 days and can not decide on what I should do while in Conzumel. I was going to pay $100.00 p/p for a Jeep/Beach excursion but have read the tour wasn't the best. I have read about Senor Frogs and C&C and was thinking about just doing that but was not sure how? Can someone direct me to a website that might be good for getting ideas.. Or if you have any ideas of your own that would be great! I really wanted to do an excursion but it dosn't seem to be a necessity after reading many posts. I do not want to shop at this port, I just want to have lots of fun since we will not have our children! THANKS....

We have had a great time renting a jeep and heading south around the island. There are great places to stop along the way for beach, food and beverages, including Paradise Beach. It's an easy tour to do on your own. The eastern side of the island is very scenic with various stops along the way.

Mike

Renting our own jeep sounds like a great idea. Then we could do as we choose and go to the beach for the day and then to Senor Frogs or C&C for the evening. But I have a question, How exactly do you organize something like renting a vehicle in Conzumel???? And how do you find out where to go????

You can rent a jeep at Avis. They are located right at the pier. There are other rental agencies there also.

Grab a map of the island. An easy tour is to head south past Paradise Beach, which is not a bad stop in itself. But then continue to head south, then east to the other side of the island. From the point where the road turns north to where it turns back west toward San Miguel you travel along the ocean. There are numerous local spots along this stretch of road. You are looping around the bottom 2/3 of the island.

Here is one map that shows beaches and other landmarks:

http://www.gocozumel.com/island-map.htm

It may not be the best for navigating, but it should give you an idea of what is along the way.

Mike

It's easy. Rent a CAR thru www.cozumelinsider.com Definitely get the full coverage insurance.

Anyone had experience renting thru Less_Pay, vs Avis? We leave Feb 7th and want to rent a vehicle to drive to Coconuts and Palancar and around the island since we have been to Cozumel numerous other times.

Other than pricing, do they both offer reliable vehicles and service? We would definitely take full coverage insurance.

That's easy too, get the Cozumel map from www.cancunmap.com

Bought this map, it is GREAT and a GREAT BARGIN!

Susan:)

If you are still looking for something fun without the kids, my husband and I LOVED the Tequila Tasting excursion offered by RCCL at Mr. Sanchos.

8 kinds of tequila to sample, plus margaritas, and an amazing Mexican lunch, served right near the beach... The presenter is the same who was on the Samantha Brown Travel Network special - he was really very good.

If you are spending the afternoon after the seminar, there are changing rooms for slipping into your swimsuit. And if you were inclined to shop, there were your typical tourist "stuffs" onsite as well. We booked our seminar through the cruise line, but I know it costs about half if you buy directly through the resort. The cruise line tour included transportation back and forth to the pier, but I'm sure finding a taxi wouldn't be difficult.

We had a great time there, learned a whole lot more about tequila than we ever imagined, and are planning on going back for a beach day there when we return to Cozumel in August.

Good luck picking your Cozumel activities!

I leave in 11 days and can not decide on what I should do while in Conzumel. I was going to pay $100.00 p/p for a Jeep/Beach excursion but have read the tour wasn't the best. I have read about Senor Frogs and C&C and was thinking about just doing that but was not sure how? Can someone direct me to a website that might be good for getting ideas.. Or if you have any ideas of your own that would be great! I really wanted to do an excursion but it dosn't seem to be a necessity after reading many posts. I do not want to shop at this port, I just want to have lots of fun since we will not have our children! THANKS....

I'd never go to Cozumel without lunch at Pancho's Backyard, one of the best restaurants I've been to and amazing Mexican food and margaritas. Their website has a coupon good for a free margarita with entree purchase. It's also located in the back of perhaps the best little shop on the main drag, Los Cinco Soles. Hit there and walk back.

http://www.panchosbackyard.com

Cheers,

Rick.

If you like to cook try the Mexican Cuisine Workshop. You cook a meal on the beach from appetizer, entree to dessert. & all the while you're drinking shots of tequila, glasses of marguarita's, beer or whatever you like :D . We have such a great time.

Barbara from Philly

4 of us (including 2 kids) want to drive around the island, but we have a few questions. hope some of you can help us

1) are the road easy to navigate if with maps?

2) do we have to know spanish to drive in cozumel-- I mean ask for direction in case we are lost?

3) how long does it take to look at the island - I mean from pier to east side and back to pier or P. Beach?

4) how far is P. beach from pier.. should we return the rental car after drive around the island and before the beach?

We are thinking to drive and tour ourselve cause we need to pay $80 for 3hours to hire a cab and we can do this in our own pace.. tks for your input

4 of us (including 2 kids) want to drive around the island, but we have a few questions. hope some of you can help us

1) are the road easy to navigate if with maps? - YES get the map from Cozumel Insider, see previous posts, map is VERY reasonable and AWESOME!

2) do we have to know spanish to drive in cozumel-- I mean ask for direction in case we are lost?- Yes and no, we don't speak Spanish

3) how long does it take to look at the island - I mean from pier to east side and back to pier or P. Beach?

4) how far is P. beach from pier.. should we return the rental car after drive around the island and before the beach? - P Beach is a 15 minute cab ride from the downtown pier, a wild cab ride at that, drivers in Mexico are wild and crazy by US standards!

We are thinking to drive and tour ourselve cause we need to pay $80 for 3hours to hire a cab and we can do this in our own pace.. tks for your input

How many hours do you have in Cozumel? We will be there from 7-6 that is why we are renting a vehicle this time as we have done the P. Beach thing etc.

Check out Cruise callendar.com and see how many ships will be in port the same day as you, recommended you reserve a car via internet prior to arriving and book thru Cozumel Insider online.

How old are your kids traveling with you, they may just enjoy the day at the beach. Depending on what time of year you are visiting Cozumel it can get really hot there. I was last there in August and it was steamier than in Florida for sure.

You will find a wealth of information on these boards for sure.

Susan

There is basically one road that goes around the island, so getting lost is not a worry. The streets in town are harder to negotiate since many of them are one way, but with the map, you will be ok. I definitely recommend the map from cancunmap.com, it was great. As far as how long it takes to see the island, that would depend on how many stops you want to make. I think you could drive the road completely around the island in around an hour or a little more without stops and depending on how bad traffic is in town. So you would have plenty of time to make a few stops and still visit P. Beach.

If you have the car anyway, I would just make P. Beach the last stop and return the car as you are going back to the ship.

1) are the road easy to navigate if with maps?

Yes, very easy. The only challenging place to drive is in town, and even that isn't really bad.

2) do we have to know spanish to drive in cozumel-- I mean ask for direction in case we are lost?
Nope. Many people speak at least some English. Plus, if you have the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com you are unlikely to get lost (unless you really try).

That depends on how many times you stop for how long. If you make a lot of stops, you could easily spend the whole day. If you make fewer, briefer stops you could do it in a few hours. It depends on what you want to see and how long you let your kids play in the sand on the East side. If you want to swim in the water, Chen Rio is probably the safest place on the East side. I wouldn't go very far into the water any place else over there.

4) how far is P. beach from pier.. should we return the rental car after drive around the island and before the beach?
It is about 10 minutes if you are a taxi driver or PB Tom, probably 15 minutes if I'm driving. I usually give the taxi the right of way and take it slower. I'd return the car last but allow time to get it gassed up.

We are thinking to drive and tour ourselves cause we need to pay $80 for 3hours to hire a cab and we can do this in our own pace.. tks for your input
You'll have a great time.

Some other bits of unasked for advice.

Get a
CAR
not a jeep. Cars have A/C, jeeps don't. You can lock a car, not a jeep. The back seat of a car is
much
more comfortable than a jeep. Car's get better gas mileage and have a smoother ride. The only real reason to get a jeep in Cozumel is to take the top off and drive around like you are on safari. You would
definitely NOT
want to take on off road there. All the rental jeeps are only 2 wheel drive because they have had their 4 wheel drive shift linkage disconnected.

The sand on the East side beaches is much softer than the sand at any of the West side beaches probably due to the almost constant pounding of the waves there. Take sand toys for your kids if they are the right age for that. If you don't bring them from home, I think you could buy some at
They sell just about everything there. I think it is worth a stop.

Get the full coverage insurance. It will be your get-out-of-jail free card if you have an accident. Also, the Mexican police won't be your friends if you get caught not wearing your seat belt and a DUI will be treated very seriously.

We have had a great time renting a jeep and heading south around the island. There are great places to stop along the way for beach, food and beverages, including Paradise Beach. It's an easy tour to do on your own. The eastern side of the island is very scenic with various stops along the way.

Mike

We took this route too and got some great pix. If you keep heading south and follow the road around you'll eventually get to a place called Coconuts that sits up on a cliff. It was a neat restaurant with spectacular views. It was intereting seeing another side of Cozumel than the hectic shopping area.

Archived