cash at pursers desk

slhull54

Interesting point of view...

I'd be more concerned about handing over cash and having it get "lost" on it's way to my account than using a credit card at NCL.

Most credit cards protect you after the first $50 of fraud and most banks will waive even that. Once your cash is gone... it's gone.

Most identity thefts these days occur by people opening NEW charge accounts using information they stole (like your SSN, DOB etc,) not by charging to existing accounts that have limits and protections. Not using your card will not prevent that kind of theft unfortunately.

Not to mention the inconvenience of having to wait on the last day to either pay up or get cashed out... You are in for a loooooooooong wait on disembarkation day behind all the others with billing problems.

I agree that the risk of losing cash is far greater than the risk of identity theft. Plus, with a credit card you get protections where you can charge back. You don't get that with cash.

For the truly paranoid, a good strategy is to get a separate credit card with a relatively low limit and use that.

Don't worry, lots of people use cash, and there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe they do not have a credit card, or it is maxed out. I just was pointing out some benefits.

It seems that every year I have to charge back an item or two. One was an unscrupulous internet registrar who took my money and did not perform any service. The other was an online merchant who never sent the goods. Both items I got my money back by calling the credit card company and filing a complaint.

You probably won't have any problems with NCL, but onshore in a foreign country it may be a bit different. I would definitely prefer cash for all but the most expensive purchases onshore.

Archived