Trip Insurance... pre-existing condition waver

Sandy R

We're looking at trip insurance with a pre-existing waver... I realize will need to purchase the insurance within 2 weeks after booking the cruise. All the insurance companies say you must be able to travel at the time of purchase of the insurance. DH had a knee replacement 6 weeks ago. He's doing great. He has an appointment with the orthopedist in a few days. I intend to ask if he's "healthy" enough to take a cruise and if he is, to put it in DH's record. Is that enough for the insurance company if, in the next few month, my DH has a problem with the surgical knee? Because we're booking a cruise that sails the beginning of April, full payment will be soon. I'd hate to have the insurance company refuse a claim if something arises. Would like to hear if anyone else has been in the same circumstance...

Sandy

We're looking at trip insurance with a pre-existing waver... I realize will need to purchase the insurance within 2 weeks after booking the cruise. All the insurance companies say you must be able to travel at the time of purchase of the insurance. DH had a knee replacement 6 weeks ago. He's doing great. He has an appointment with the orthopedist in a few days. I intend to ask if he's "healthy" enough to take a cruise and if he is, to put it in DH's record. Is that enough for the insurance company if, in the next few month, my DH has a problem with the surgical knee? Because we're booking a cruise that sails the beginning of April, full payment will be soon. I'd hate to have the insurance company refuse a claim if something arises. Would like to hear if anyone else has been in the same circumstance...

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

The doctor must clearly say that today (that is the day he goes to the doctor) your DH is completely recovered and 100% able to travel today, that's what a travel insurance company is looking for.

The travel insurance company doesn't want to know if he will be able to travel in the future. They want to know that he can travel on a trip anywhere today.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but this is exactly what they want to know.

I hope this makes sense.

You don't say what insurance policy you are wanting to take out.

If it is Princess Travel Care- for a pre-existing condition there has to have been no changes in the 60 days preceding taking out the coverage for it to cover.

Read the policy completely to determine the answer to your questions. There are so many and each company has their own requirements.

You cannot buy insurance from the cruise line that will cover your problem as it relates to the knee unless you wait the obligatory 60 days.

You best bet is look at www.insuremytrip.com Call their toll free number and talk to one of their customer service people. They sell insurance from a number of companies with better coverage and great rates. They are extremely knowledgable and can offer you suggestions. They are the experts, not us who post here.

Archived