Stingray snorkeling

schoolnursecruiser

i There,

Have never done it in Antigua but did so at Stingray City in Grand Cayman.

Most of the rays you swim with at these places are females, the smaller of the species which get up to about two feet across.

We got to feed them squid and swam with them for about 45 minutes on the sand bar. If you get to do the same, you'll make friends with these intelligent and beautiful creatures. Just remember that you shouldn't rub your hand on your leg after feeding the girls, as these amorous little things will smell the squid and just like at 16 bin high school you'll get the cutest little "hickey" on your leg...and how do you explain that to your spouse?

When feeding them they literally come up to you, stand on their tails and rub bellies with you. They are soft and affectionate. I had one of the girls swim with me alone for the period we were in the water.

I hope in Antigua that you have the same delightful experience with these magnificent creatures. While a tad nervous getting in the water, they are fairly tame and love to rub against you and swim between your legs.

Have fun, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Hope this doesn't double post

My wife and I went snorkeling with the Stingrays in Antiguea about 6 weeks ago off the Emerald Princess. It was fabulous. I did it a decade ago in the Cayman islands and enjoyed this one a lot more. Have fun. It can get a bit crowded but you will really enjoy it. :)

Michael and Jeralyn

We also did Stingray City in Grand Cayman, but hey, Stingrays are stingrays, right? It was an awesome experience.

What surprised me was the number of people on our tour who did not avail themselves of the snorkels/masks provided by the tour boat. While it was fun to stand in chest deep water and watch the rays swim around your legs, it really came alive when I simply floated face-down. The sunlight reflecting off of the moving water surface distorts the image quite a bit, but through the mask, you get an amazingly clear view. Plus, as you float, let your arms dangle down and the rays will swim under you so that you can stroke them. Just be careful of the spine in their tails.

When we went, there were at least a half-dozen boats at the sandbar. As we backed up to the bar and the crew placed the anchors, the rays swam up. They knew that another free meal was at hand. After we had been there about 20-30 minutes, another boat arrived on the other side of the sandbar. Suddenly, most of the rays swam away to the new boat and the fresh supply of squid. They're not stupid!

A waterproof camera is a must! If you don't have one, or your digital camera is not waterproof, just get a cheap waterproof onetime use 35mm camera. Onboard ship, they usually sell for $15-20. At Walmart or Target, you can probably buy two for $10. Don't even try to use the viewfinder, just sort of point it in the general direction and fire away. If you buy one before you leave home, don't pack it in your checked luggage. The x-ray machines they use for luggage are more powerful than the ones they use for carryons and it WILL expose the high-speed film in the cameras. You should be okay with the carryon x-ray machines. You can also ask the TSA screener to hand-check the camera.

Archived