Christmas Cruise River Countess

Karen NY

My husband and I are thinking of booking a 14 day Uniworld Christmas market cruise with my parents. We are experienced cruisers 30+ trips on mostly Holland America. We have never done any river cruising so I have a few questions...

The staterooms look scary small are they as bad as they look? And the bathrooms?

What is the attire for the evening onboard?

Has anyone been on the Countess? What are the food,service and tours like?

Are the Christman Markets worthwhile?

Can anyone suggest a hotel in Nuremburg that is close to the markets and or the city center?

Thanks for the help!:confused:

We took our first river cruise last year (on Grand Circle, not Uniworld) after some 3 dozen ocean cruises.

It was quite a change, but we did enjoy the Danube, Budapest Hungary to Constanta Rumania, on the Black Sea.

We did not find the cabins too small, but we don't spend much time there anyway.

Dress was casual - most gents wore Docker style trousers, and collared shirts.

Women also were casual - pants and blouses, I guess.

Hope this helps a bit.

First, there is an entire area dedicated to river cruising. We love them. We prefer ships which have hotel-style beds vs those sofa things. We prefer to be on a high deck as the low decks often make you feel like you are standing in water!'

There are lots of companies which offer river cruises for the Christmas markets - Viking is our favorite.

Second, Christmas markets are a blast! Especially at night. Take lots of warm clothes and shoes (to keep you toasty and to wrap your fragile ornaments in when you head home - stuff things into boots for extra cushioning) and an extra suitcase/duffel bag.

Archived