Vancouver Cab Problem - Cancel Cruise???

Hi Betty, I'm also a solo traveler so I can relate to the budget situation!

Are you working with a travel agent? He or she might be able to reserve a car service for you to get to the train station. It may cost a little more than a cab, but you will have the peace of mind during your cruise, knowing you will make it to the station. If you are dealing with the cruise line directly, call their customer service department and explain your situation - I find that most cruiselines are fairly helpful for us solo travelers! Another option might be to see if you can share a cab with your sis and her husband, if they are headed to the airport post-cruise? I don't know Vancouver well, but the driver would probably be okay with the diversion, since he will be ending up at the airport anyway - ? Also as another post suggested, get involved in the roll call, you may find someone there, too! I've made great friends through the roll calls!

Most important, remember that your Alaska cruise will be a fabulous, amazing adventure! You will really enjoy it!

Liz

Hi Liz. I did present the problem to my travel agent, but she hasn't replied. I think she's probably as stymied as I am. My sister and her husband will be taking the Celebrity shuttle back to the airport.

Yes, I'll probably post the question on the roll call, but I'll wait until the time gets closer so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

I haven't lost hope yet. Sometimes I get discouraged, but I'm still hoping to get this resolved.

What I'm hoping for is the QuickCoach picking up passengers right at Ballantyne. I'll keep checking their schedule. I believe that would be the solution I'm looking for.

Remember that the Amtrak probably isn't going to wait in Seattle for the Quickcoach shuttle, whereas they probably will wait for the Amtrak shuttle. Nothing is guaranteed with US Customs crossing the border. It's not unusual for the US customs wait to be in the order of hours.

However, I think, and from what I've read, everyone else here, thinks you're overly concerned about what will be a non-issue to get from Ballantyne to Pacific Station in 3 hours, a distance of a mile and a half.

We're talking an incredibly short distance.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=655+Centennial+Road+vancouver+bc+to+vancouver+amtrak&sll=49.279061,-123.08979&sspn=0.015678,0.047035&ie=UTF8&ll=49.279509,-123.09361&spn=0.015678,0.047035&z=15&om=0

You complain about lack of cabs. Vancouver is a big city, there are lots of cabs. 4x 2000 people getting off cruise ships on the same day is still well under 1/2 the amount of people that empty out of a hockey game, and 1/50 the number of people that take buses/skytrain into work every day.

Everyone else's suggestions that you try and share a ride with someone going ANYWHERE (the train station isn't signifcantly out of the way if you're going to the airport, or downtown from Ballantyne), has been completely ignored, yet you continue to go on "oh dear oh dear".

You could also just take a city bus, http://www.translink.bc.ca Put the route into Google and click "Take Transit". Or, grab any bus into downtown and take the Skytrain back to "MAIN STREET STATION", or , or , or.. There are so many options it's mind boggling.

Betty - I just got off the phone with the local Quick Shuttle folks - the cruise service starts May 1, 2008 - you should be able to book on line in about 2 weeks - the 800 # I listed is toll - free anywhere in North America - the shuttle has two services a regular and an express - the express will pick you up at Ballantyne pier - head over to Canada Place and then straight for the border and Seattle - they are usually clear of the border no later than 11:00 - 11:30 and then its two hours into Seattle - directly to Pier 66 - it would then be a short taxi/bus ride to the train station - you should have enough time to enjoy a feast of Ivar's fish and chips before you board the train - you just need to let the cruise line know that you will need to disembark as an independent traveler to get off in time for the bus.

As for the last post - if the Amtrak bus is delayed at the border or because of traffic it will meet to train in Everett instead of Seattle as the train has to head north before it turns east over Stevens Pass.

I hope this helps and keep the faith - its keep you strong.

Cheers

Dennis

Giblert, I'm sorry, I just don't understand why some people have to put people down on the internet. Is it because they are anonymous? I have seen it on other topics by other people as well.

To address some of your comments, the exact reason I want to take the Amtrak shuttle is just as you stated: The Amtrak shuttle will take me to the Amtrak train and it is even part of my Amtrak ticket.

Have YOU bothered to read posts by other people? I have. Here is some of what they are saying:

3 hour wait in line to get a cab from the cruise terminals.

The Port Authority sometimes recommending cruisers look for method other than a cab.

Cabs fill up (with gas) at the terminal and leave without picking up passengers - 100 people in line.

Cabs won't take passengers who have short runs.

About getting the city bus, did I mention that I'm 68 years old and handicapped with interstitial pneumonia, chronic pleuresy and an artificial knee? That makes it near impossible to jump on a bus with suitcases.

However, I do thank you for your one comment which is very helpful. I honestly didn't know that others were suggesting I ask people in line about dropping me off at the train station. I thought they were suggesting I look for another person going to the train station. I don't know Vancouver and didn't know the train station was not out of the way. For that I thank you.

Dennis - again Thank You!

I think the train leaves Seattle at around 4:30 p.m. That shuttle will get me there on time!!!

I also sent the QuickShuttle an email and I'm waiting to hear back, but from what you found out - IT'S A GO. I can take this cruise!!!

Thanks so much.

Betty

What I need is absolute assurance that I can get to the train station on time.

Betty

There are NEVER any absolutes in this world. If you need an absolute, stay home and stay in bed - then you will be absolutely certain that you will die in bed.

DON

Betty - I just got off the phone with the local Quick Shuttle folks - the cruise service starts May 1, 2008 - you should be able to book on line in about 2 weeks - the 800 # I listed is toll - free anywhere in North America - the shuttle has two services a regular and an express - the express will pick you up at Ballantyne pier - head over to Canada Place and then straight for the border and Seattle - they are usually clear of the border no later than 11:00 - 11:30 and then its two hours into Seattle - directly to Pier 66 - it would then be a short taxi/bus ride to the train station - you should have enough time to enjoy a feast of Ivar's fish and chips before you board the train - you just need to let the cruise line know that you will need to disembark as an independent traveler to get off in time for the bus.

As for the last post - if the Amtrak bus is delayed at the border or because of traffic it will meet to train in Everett instead of Seattle as the train has to head north before it turns east over Stevens Pass.

I hope this helps and keep the faith - its keep you strong.

Cheers

Dennis

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

Liz

Betty - Ivar's is located on the waterfront in Seattle and near the pier- perhaps Seattle Cruise Lover can tell you just how close. Here's a link to their waterfront location - it's at Pier 54 which is on the way to the train station.

http://www.ivars.net/Acres_Home/acres.html

Another question for Seattle cruise lover - I know that there use to be an old streetcar that ran along the waterfront and ended up right by the Amtrak station because I took it at couple of years ago - is it back in service - if not I believe there is a bus that does the same thing - Betty this might be a way for you to get to Ivar's and then the short distance to the station

Glad to have been able to help you resolve this issue.

Cheers

Dennis

I just answered my own question - there is a free bus service along the waterfront that will take you from the cruise terminal - Pier 66 to Ivar's and then to within a block of King Street Station which is the Amtrak depot.

Here's a link:http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/wfsc/waterfront_streetcar.html

Gosh isn't surfin the net an interesting way to pass the time of day.

Cheers

Dennis

"and my suggestion to take the effective and inexpensive transit system was also poo-pooed. You're well enough to get on/off a train for 3 days (each way), but a suggestion of a 10 minute bus ride is beyond is met with a myriad of excuses as to why that's not possible."

As a local I suggest you try taking the #4 or #7 bus from outside of Ballantyne with a couple of suitcases - get off at Pender and Granville - walk a couple of blocks to either Waterfront or Granville station - pass street people begging for money or drugs - get on Skytrain and take it to Main Street station - walk across Thornton park pass a few street people looking for money or drugs and see if you think that would be a good way to impress a visitor to our city - actually you can't walk out of the terminal and onto Powell street to the bus - you have to walk up and over the tracks and then onto Powell or Hastings. and it will take you a lot longer than ten minutes to get from point A to point B.

And if you traveled Amtrak a lot you would know that there are not that many stops where you get on and off the train anymore - you would also know that on most of the trains nowadays the lower level sleepers are reserved for people with mobility problems.

Betty - please ignore this persons posts - I doubt that he/she works in customer service - if he/she did they would know that it's the customer that pays the bill not the man who puts his signature on the pay cheque every couple of weeks.

I could respond more but I think that I have made my point - don't know if you are football fan or not but if you are hope you enjoy the big game tomorrow - GO PATS!!! GO

Cheers

Dennis

I just answered my own question - there is a free bus service along the waterfront that will take you from the cruise terminal - Pier 66 to Ivar's and then to within a block of King Street Station which is the Amtrak depot.

Unfortunately Betty has already said she's unable to haul her stuff a block to take the bus, or we wouldn't be in this situation.

I'm still confused how, Quickcoach to Seattle followed by cab to the train station is more reliable/less stress, than even a potentially 2hr wait for a cab in Vancouver (which still connects you with plenty of time), and then Amtrak bus -> Amtrak Station. Amtrak (as someone mentioned) does have a contingency plan for delays at the border (by meeting the train at the Everett station) whereas Quickcoach have little/no guarantee, or any care if you happen to miss you train.

Given I've waited for cabs in Vancouver, and I've waited to cross the border, I would say there's a heck of a lot more variance in the time taken, and a lot more stress to be had at the hands of the Sept of Homland Security crossing the border. Given that Amtrak have a contingency if that is delayed, would sway my decision to ride the Amtrak bus.

Betty has decided that she isn't comfortable with the taxi situation and has asked for other suggestions - I made mine which is Quick Shuttle and she seems to be comfortable with that suggestion - I followed it up with a phone call to confirm what I know from using the service from both Seattle and Vancouver and based on that she has made her decision - we should be helping her enjoy her short Vancouver stay and wishing her a successful and non-stressful Alaskan cruise through some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere - not throwing continual roadblocks at her.

Good night

Dennis

Betty has decided that she isn't comfortable with the taxi situation and has asked for other suggestions - I made mine which is Quick Shuttle and she seems to be comfortable with that suggestion - I followed it up with a phone call to confirm what I know from using the service from both Seattle and Vancouver and based on that she has made her decision - we should be helping her enjoy her short Vancouver stay and wishing her a successful and non-stressful Alaskan cruise through some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere - not throwing continual roadblocks at her.

I'm not throwing continual roadblocks, I've offered more and varied suggestions than anyone. I do wonder why you're so tied up with Quick Shuttle.

I'm concerned you're sending her on;

a) a trip not guaranteed to meet up with the train, or containing any contingency. At least the Amtrak shuttle will divert to another station (Everett, north of Seattle)) if it gets behind, to meet up with the train.

b) The quick shuttle bus drops you in Seattle at the Best Western Executive, the other side of the downtown core, from the train station. A distance of approx 3 miles, or twice the Ballantyne - Pacific Station taxi ride she was concerned about in the first place. If the Mariners are playing at Safeco that day, cabs will be as tough, if not harder to find in Seattle than in Vancouver.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=960323240528969821,47.619741,-122.346329,14480825114021779725,47.599210,-122.330230&saddr=200+Taylor+Ave+N,+Seattle,+WA+98109+(Best+Western+Executive+Inn)&daddr=303+S.+Jackson+St,+Seattle,+WA+98104+(Seattle+Amtrak+Station)&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=47.608494,-122.309342&sspn=0.98513,3.010254&ie=UTF8&z=14&om=0

"The quick shuttle bus drops you in Seattle at the Best Western Executive"

If you have been following my posts you will know that Quick shuttle offers an express service during cruise season from our berths to Pier 66 in Seattle on its way to Sea-Tac airport - you will also noticed that I said that I have used both the Quick Shuttle and Amtrak Bus for a number of occasions the most recent this past November - care to tell us the last time that you have used either of these two services.

This isn't about what the two of us might think is the best option - it is what the OP feels is best for her - that is called providing the customer with the options and letting them decide what they want to do - something I learned in my over 35 years in the service and hospitality industry.

Have a good Monday morning!

Dennis

"The quick shuttle bus drops you in Seattle at the Best Western Executive"

If you have been following my posts you will know that Quick shuttle offers an express service during cruise season from our berths to Pier 66 in Seattle on its way to Sea-Tac airport - you will also noticed that I said that I have used both the Quick Shuttle and Amtrak Bus for a number of occasions the most recent this past November - care to tell us the last time that you have used either of these two services.

This isn't about what the two of us might think is the best option - it is what the OP feels is best for her - that is called providing the customer with the options and letting them decide what they want to do - something I learned in my over 35 years in the service and hospitality industry.

Exactly why I felt it important to let her know that the Quick Shuttle bus drops her nowhere near the Seattle Amtrak station, 3 miles away in the case of the Best Western or 2 miles away in the case of Pier 66.

Archived